Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 14:15   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: Sub-$30k brands for RTW sailing?

walk in the woods on the AT with R Redford...
Oh, and here's a bristol https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...-35-5-3594462/., but i am obviously biased. enjoy the hunt.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 14:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sub-$30k brands for RTW sailing?

Re the Cherubini's, you'll likely have to replace all the port lights unless that's already done..
I took out the old plastic opening ones and replaced them with fixed acrylic screwed on the outside and wood trim on the interior. Was really glad I did that when I got caught in a big blow that had green water over the coach roof.. would likely have punched in the old ones.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 15:09   #18

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas_nolte View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to look into boats for a RTW trip. My plan is to buy something in good structural shape but needs work. I'd like to keep the boat as cheap as possible because the plan is to redo almost everything. I'm looking for something between 30-40'. So far Im looking into the following brands:

C&C
Bristol
Tartan
cal
sabre
tayana
Ericson
Nan-tai

Any I should add or remove?

I found a boat pretty close to me that is pretty interesting but I've never head of the make before. Has anyone heard of a Metal Mast and it was built by Peter Canning. Is that a decent boat for what I'm hoping to do?

Thanks!
Nick
Nothing wrong with your list but I'd add Island Packet. You don't mention a budget, but a Hallberg Rassey or Amel in need of upgrading would also be a good option for RTW although these boats are usually well maintained and are priced accordingly.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 15:30   #19

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

There is a well set up Rawson in the solomons for $30k... ready to go.
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
There is a well set up Rawson in the solomons for $30k... ready to go.
Got a link?
Nicholas_nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 21:19   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Nothing wrong with your list but I'd add Island Packet. You don't mention a budget,
Umm... the thread's title says "sub 30K$" which kinda rules out your suggestions.

Jim
Old 16-04-2021, 09:06   #22

Boat: Sabre Mk II 28

Look into the Sabre very well built boat.
jlcarreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 11:43   #23

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Quote:
Got a link?
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/-rawson-30/245170
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 20:42   #24

Boat: Island Packet 29

"Cheap as possible"

"Want to redo everything"

Must be your first sailboat.
Rockinar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 05:36   #25

Boat: Hunter 36

Sub-$30k for just the boat, or is that your overall budget?

Keep in mind that for RTW in a small boat you want to have solar, AIS, a watermaker, a liferaft or dinghy, satphone, emergency rudder and a lot of spare parts. You can skimp on some of those things a little, but even so those costs alone could set you back a bit.

Everyone here can list their favorite boats for such a voyage, but honestly any brand can do it if it's in good enough shape. Every marina I have ever seen has sailboats in your size range which have been sitting neglected for many years. Look for the boat that has the most spiderwebs and bird crap on it and make an offer - sometimes the owner will let it go for free. Then fix it up at your leisure. That leaves more money left over for the equipment, rigging inspection, etc that you will need.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 06:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/-rawson-30/245170
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
"Cheap as possible"

"Want to redo everything"

Must be your first sailboat.
My dad bought a piece of junk sailboat when I was in high school and we completely rebuilt it and got it back in the water. I've been on boats my entire life. Worked on fishing boats, got a captains license. This is not my first rodeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Sub-$30k for just the boat, or is that your overall budget?

Keep in mind that for RTW in a small boat you want to have solar, AIS, a watermaker, a liferaft or dinghy, satphone, emergency rudder and a lot of spare parts. You can skimp on some of those things a little, but even so those costs alone could set you back a bit.

Everyone here can list their favorite boats for such a voyage, but honestly any brand can do it if it's in good enough shape. Every marina I have ever seen has sailboats in your size range which have been sitting neglected for many years. Look for the boat that has the most spiderwebs and bird crap on it and make an offer - sometimes the owner will let it go for free. Then fix it up at your leisure. That leaves more money left over for the equipment, rigging inspection, etc that you will need.
$30k is the max for the boat. I want to redo everything and build the interior to my tastes. I'm an engineer so I've already started figuring out all the equipment. I'm just looking for something that has a solid well built hull but old parts. Id LOVE to find an older metal hull boat, that would be perfect but they are hard to find at a decent price.
Nicholas_nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:00   #27

Boat: Alberg 35

Nicholson 31/32(look for MK5+ if 32), Alberg 35/37, Ericson 35, Pearsons are generally good boats.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:13   #28

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter

Quote:
Thanks!!

$30k is the max for the boat. I want to redo everything and build the interior to my tastes. I'm an engineer so I've already started figuring out all the equipment. I'm just looking for something that has a solid well built hull but old parts. Id LOVE to find an older metal hull boat, that would be perfect but they are hard to find at a decent price.

Metal boats?
It is typically easy to find well built older metal boats in your price range. If the boat has some cosmetic rust, and the seller is motivated, deals are yours to be had.

After 5 years in the Navy, a little rust should not deter you
svloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:23   #29

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Thanks!!

My dad bought a piece of junk sailboat when I was in high school and we completely rebuilt it and got it back in the water. I've been on boats my entire life. Worked on fishing boats, got a captains license. This is not my first rodeo.

There is a 30’ Tom Colvin corten steel Junk named Ginger at Indiantown Marina in Florida that has been sitting for a few years. I looked at purchasing her at one point(I know the owner), but she needed just a little more work than I wanted(looking for almost turn key). I bet she could be had for a song and a dance at this point...
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:39   #30

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to look into boats for a RTW trip. My plan is to buy something in good structural shape but needs work. I'd like to keep the boat as cheap as possible because the plan is to redo almost everything. I'm looking for something between 30-40'. So far Im looking into the following brands:

C&C
Bristol
Tartan
cal
sabre
tayana
Ericson
Nan-tai

Any I should add or remove?

I found a boat pretty close to me that is pretty interesting but I've never head of the make before. Has anyone heard of a Metal Mast and it was built by Peter Canning. Is that a decent boat for what I'm hoping to do?

Thanks!
Nick
Add an Alberg 30 to the list. They went around the world in 60,s, 70,s and 80,s. They can be picked up for around $10k or less. Check Facebook. There was on for sale asking $4k. It was bought as a project boat. They pulled the engine and hung an outboard on the back. It was in Virginia.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing