Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2009, 08:47   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Oh the WHAT IF'S are making me pee my pants. I am now to scared to leave the dock. There is no perfect boat just like there's no perfect life. Everything is a compromise. Racing boats don't sit in ideal anchorages for years. Cruiser's should have the sense to choose descent weather windows....OOOOHHH THE WORRRIIIIEES...I am going to sell my boat, and live in a cave......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 09:14   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Oh, forgot to mention that the bigger windows are much more likely to leak, due to more differential expansion as things heat up and cool down. The owner of the boat I delivered had spent thousands on reglazing and his windows still leaked.
I'm not trying to create an argument here, as we all have our own opinions based on our own views as well as some experiences.

Thank goodness for that.

Bit if Farr or Elliott or Dixon who all engineer and design yachts for circumnavigation with big windows - and I've never personally seen or read of one of those thats had damage of the type you infer, then I'll continue to suggest this is a worry that might have existed in home built craft of years past, but not today.

Same re attitudes on portlights and cooling down below. Those who cruise know you'll spend a week at anchor for each day at sea - and opening portlights and God forbid, even big opening pilot house windows - make that a cool pleasure........

All IMHO of course.

JOHN
Old 13-01-2009, 09:52   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
A little drift but it pertains to structural integrity.
great story of an atlantic crossing Virtue xxv the author escapes me now. The story didn't scare me off in fact I still admire the boat were I to down size might be something to look at.
Ways back I delivered a power boat from casco bay to the chesapeake. Never done that in a power boat until then. As I wasn't sailing I neglected to pay attention to windspeed and direction. It was a beautifful day coming into cape cod Bay I saw some whales and was haveing a great time. On schedule to catch the tides coming through the canal maybe a little ahead of schedule I proceeded through enjoying the late fall day. Winds were SW at 15 maybe more. As if a light switch were thrown I jettisoned into Buzzards bay and found myself in 8' seas stacked one after another. THat little boat was truly falling straight down 8' and slamming . I thought for sure Im goin break the back of this thing or the engine is coming off it's mounts.It was quite a while before I got out to deeper water and things lightened up. Yeah I should have known better just screwed up. In regard to this thread I think its helpful to have discussions about structural integrity. the other thing I should have done was check the engine mounts and coupling before I took off. You can bet I was thinking about those things while I was being beat up and down. Rather think about them on the mooring while I can check them.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 13:58   #19

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I have spent 15 years in the tropics on a boat, and the salon in this boat was about 10 degrees F warmer than my boat due to the greenhouse effect. (For those of you without engineering degrees, the greenhouse effect is due to the fact that the transmissivity of glass or clear plastic is much higher for visible light frequencies than for infrared, allowing the energy of the sun to penetrate, but not allowing the warmth of the cabin to escape.)
This is news to me...I thought the "greenhouse effect" was due to CO2 emissions and the Ozone layer! Seriously though...if there wasn't a way to ventilate the cabin, the boat wasn't set up right. As for the leaks, introduce the owner to Butyl tape and cord. No more "differential expansion" problems. Works wonders. Race boats want as little drag (windage) as possible, so why would they have pronounced houses on deck? Once again, we are speaking about CRUISING boats, used for real world cruising. Take your time and wait for your windows.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 14:06   #20

Boat: Norseman 447
I've heard of ore boats with deck's caved in from breaking sea's than pilothouse boats with broken windows, I'd be more concerned with checking deck construction in general
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 15:24   #21
CLOD

Boat: none
"...I am going to sell my boat, and live in a cave......i2f"

Hey is that cave going to be on a fault line or anything? :-)
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 18:12   #22

Boat: naver 29
i notice that a lot of catamarans have large amounts of large window. do they have the same issues as discussed above?
(not that anyone really seemed to agree on any issues)

excuse my naivety if its a completely different comparison.
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 18:52   #23

Boat: PETERSON 44
To be agreeable I will do so with donradcliffe on the green house effect.
I have knocked out my windows and it is now cold as hell in here as well as outside. Don't thank me for ending the green house effect I did it for myself.
But really I see you point about good ventilation.
My experience as a monohull sailor having seen some nasty crashing confused seas (this applies to me for what I want or don't want). I can do without the large glass exposure. Can it be done right yes it can. Do I want to pay for it nope. If Im not sure it was done right or can stand up to a thrashing I don't want to be there to test it.I sailed with an owner on a well built boat. We got quite a thrashing. At some point the guy told the crew he had put a weak link at the end of the stearing chain as explained the chain had broken several times and he felt that if it broke at the end it would be easier to fix. He is right maybe uhh anyway. You can bet in dead of night coming cown the side of a wave when I leaned down on that wheel I was thinking about that weak link.
As a multihull sailor tri's and cats are more bouyant. Although I have never sailed in truly heavy weather in one these it was pointed out to me that the bouyancy and handling can effect the shipping of water. I again although skeptically agree. My tri never ships water in a 4' sea with some space in frequencey down wind or broad reach I watch the mono hulls plunge while the tri sits happily skipping over the mess.
If you happen to have an extra space heater let me know
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salon