Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 04:41   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 1978 34'
Storing battens on 34' boat

Hi all

I own an old but sturdy 1978 Jeanneau Melody 34', which is not very ample inside...

Can I get any tips on how/where to store long sail battens aboard?

Thank you.

PMC
PMCunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 05:42   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Storing battens on 34' boat

In the boom. Tape together and attached string ties at each eend so they can be secured in position.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 05:44   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Are these the 4 mainsail battens? Are they longer than the ones pictured below?
Old 30-05-2020, 06:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Are these the 4 mainsail battens? Are they longer than the ones pictured below?

They're much longer. I'd say the longest it's at least 2,5 meters long.
Old 30-05-2020, 06:43   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
In the boom. Tape together and attached string ties at each eend so they can be secured in position.

This is genius!!

That space isn’t used for anything else.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 23:15   #6

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Just curious, why do you remove them from the mainsail, unless you are asking about the times you must completely remove the mainsail from the rig. At 2.5 meters long, this must be a full batten main but whether full or short battens, everyone I know just leaves them in the sail.
Old 30-05-2020, 23:28   #7

Some boom end fittings don't allow for the sliding of the battens into the boom. Another little problem with some F/G battens is that they sometimes have small strands of glass sticking out of the surface resulting in itchy hands when handled. A coat of paint then a light sanding followed by another coat or two can reduce this problem if it exists.
If you stow the main on your boom then leave the battens in. If you want to move or bag the sail and remove the battens and the boom end is closed then maybe some fittings on the life lines to keep them off the deck and out of the way. Make sure you can indicate or label each one with "sun proof paint" etc. so that you slide each one back into its correct slot in the sail. Possibly a few velcro style straps under the mast may work.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 02:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Just curious, why do you remove them from the mainsail, unless you are asking about the times you must completely remove the mainsail from the rig. At 2.5 meters long, this must be a full batten main but whether full or short battens, everyone I know just leaves them in the sail.
I have 2 mainsails, one fully battened. When I hoist the other, I get these long sticks I have no idea where to store them. I used to tie them on the deck but they were dangerously exposed to the sea and waves.
Old 31-05-2020, 02:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Some boom end fittings don't allow for the sliding of the battens into the boom. Another little problem with some F/G battens is that they sometimes have small strands of glass sticking out of the surface resulting in itchy hands when handled. A coat of paint then a light sanding followed by another coat or two can reduce this problem if it exists.
If you stow the main on your boom then leave the battens in. If you want to move or bag the sail and remove the battens and the boom end is closed then maybe some fittings on the life lines to keep them off the deck and out of the way. Make sure you can indicate or label each one with "sun proof paint" etc. so that you slide each one back into its correct slot in the sail. Possibly a few velcro style straps under the mast may work.
Thank you very much.
Old 31-05-2020, 02:23   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCunha View Post
Hi all

I own an old but sturdy 1978 Jeanneau Melody 34', which is not very ample inside...

Can I get any tips on how/where to store long sail battens aboard?

Thank you.

PMC
Currently they are lashed to the lifelines (we're junk rigged, so we have many battens. 3.8m for foresail, 4.5 for the main).
Although I am building new permanent sailcovers and thinking of ways to lash them to the boom on the inside of the covers. Or perhaps lashed to the underside. I like to carry two spares for each sail. Though in practice I prefer to carry them all as main sail size, and cut them down to size if I need them for the foresail.
Old 31-05-2020, 02:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Currently they are lashed to the lifelines (we're junk rigged, so we have many battens. 3.8m for foresail, 4.5 for the main).
Although I am building new permanent sailcovers and thinking of ways to lash them to the boom on the inside of the covers. Or perhaps lashed to the underside. I like to carry two spares for each sail. Though in practice I prefer to carry them all as main sail size, and cut them down to size if I need them for the foresail.
Thank you. I like the idea of incorporating a batten pocket on the lazybag...
Old 31-05-2020, 02:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCunha View Post
Thank you. I like the idea of incorporating a batten pocket on the lazybag...
Cheers. Yea, me too. As a junk rig my booms are not much bigger than the battens anyway, a little extra weight will probably make them more stable when I am reefed and things are bouncy. Although I am considering a downhaul.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:48   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

for glass battens, storage in the sun isn't a good idea, for the UV breaks down the epoxy and pretty soon you have a hairy and itch mongering bit of kit. Inside the boom, inside the sail cover (our boom bag cover has long support battens, and the sleeves for them are big enough to hold a few spares) or other covered storage is a good idea.

For suppressing the itch mongering, even on new battens or ones that you have tapered, simply covering with packing tape is easy and works well. Painting is too much of a project for such purposes IMO.

Jim
Old 01-06-2020, 02:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
for glass battens, storage in the sun isn't a good idea, for the UV breaks down the epoxy and pretty soon you have a hairy and itch mongering bit of kit. Inside the boom, inside the sail cover (our boom bag cover has long support battens, and the sleeves for them are big enough to hold a few spares) or other covered storage is a good idea.

For suppressing the itch mongering, even on new battens or ones that you have tapered, simply covering with packing tape is easy and works well. Painting is too much of a project for such purposes IMO.

Jim
Good idea. Yes, painting mine was a bit time consuming. However, I have found that labeling them is really needed. I suppose this depends on just how obvious the sizing is. My tub is a ketch and I have lots of battens so labeling has been a boon. Unfortunately, permanent markers are not all that successful when exposed to sunlight so I often have to redo them. Another Covid project.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Good idea. Yes, painting mine was a bit time consuming. However, I have found that labeling them is really needed. I suppose this depends on just how obvious the sizing is. My tub is a ketch and I have lots of battens so labeling has been a boon. Unfortunately, permanent markers are not all that successful when exposed to sunlight so I often have to redo them. Another Covid project.
For me they are all the same size, but yes, label them, you don't want to be fumbling around on the foredeck looking for the correct size by eye when you need them.

Tags
boat