Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 07:01   #76

Boat: Franz Maas 37
Re: Steel over GRP !!!

You say the sweetest things.....
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 17:58   #77

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algol View Post
Hi guys!I own a Alan Pappe cruiser 38 steel cuter.Honestly i would prefer grp because I'm not much of a welder.Bigest
problem i saw was with rust in hard to reach places.Dont know what to do about it When i got the boat some of the deck gear bolts on the cabin top were leaking they are sealed now but i cant reach some of those places.Also there is a problem with condensation.I am a liveaboard so as soon as i start heating inside all the places that are not insulated are wet,On the plus side when I first hauled out i saw that previous owner bumped the keel somewhere and judging by the dent it was at full speed.Now if it was a grp boat im sure he would destroy the boat and i have only a dent in the keel(15mm steel plate)
I had a 38' Pape cutter - wonderful yacht. Homebuilt GRP but very well done - really hurt to sell it in Sydney to someone who lost it on an Indonesian reef. What a waste! Nothing to do with steel vs GRP cos it was really solid glass. Sigh....
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 11:14   #78

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Steel over GRP !!!

Recently I read a skipper's online log, wherein he made mention of a freaky accident. Apparently, a prop blade had come loose, flying hard up against the hull. He noticed the loud noise, but discovered no obvious damage, and the boat continued on its way. Soon thereafter he noticed that the boat was being subjected to strong vibrations. He suspected the prop, went to check the damage, and determined what had happened. Later, he wrote in his log that it was fortunate that the boat had a steel hull. I'm sure this sort of thing happens rarely. For one thing, doesn't the prop blade have a thread direction/rotation that works against it's coming loose?