Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 19:39   #1

steel hulled Sparkman & Stephens 34???

Ahoy team,

I need a little assistance. Have a look at this attached link.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...hens-34/228681

It is a steel hulled 34 footer I am considering buying, and then fitting out for blue water. The broker is calling it a SS34, however I did some research with SS and they told me they never ever built a steel hulled SS34, plus the boat does not look like a SS34 either.

Anyone recognize the build, it is circa 1980. It is currently sitting at a marina about 200NM south of Sydney.

Any insight would be appreciated, as I am considering buying it.
Old 01-07-2019, 21:25   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: steel hulled Sparkman & Stephens 34???

Hmm, let's see...

On the one hand, you have a world renowned design house saying that it isn't a real S&S 34, that it does not look like one to them, and that they never designed one in steel.

On the other hand you have a broker saying that it is an example of the
world renowned S&S 34.

I know who I would believe!

This does not mean that it ain't a good boat, but you should be evaluating it as a one-off build, perhaps inspired by the original, but not granting it any special cachet from its roots.

She looks good in the pix for the most part... good luck in your decision.

Jim
Old 01-07-2019, 21:29   #3

I agree. She is a really clean boat. They have been trying to sell her for a while, however...I think the pedigree is bothering everyone - especially since the broker is saying it is a SS34.

Before I give my offer, I will need to take her out. I have never sailed a steel sloop before, I need to know how stiff she is, and how she performs, since we all know she is not a SS34.

Will see if the broker allows it, as they know I am very interested.
Old 01-07-2019, 21:57   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Sure enough, it says, Designer: Sparkman and Stephens. That's the kind of stuff that will make a designer's blood boil I bet.
The Sparkman and Stephens 34 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

maybe the SS34 stands for Swarbrick and Swarbrick?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 01-07-2019, 22:13   #5

That is what I thought, I also tried them. They have never seen it before. I think it is the owner telling the Broker all this, probably they were told by someone as well.

Once I find the builder....then I will know what to call it, as it was obviously built by someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 01-07-2019, 23:00   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

There were a number of locally designed and built S&S hull shape rip offs built in WA, usually in FG and the roughly the same dimensions as the S&S but with the blended for end of the coach roof as the one in the image. They came about just after John Sanders did his first non stop circumnavigation when S&S were getting a lot of publicity. Can't recall what they were called though but UFO 34 is tickling my memory a bit.
Old 01-07-2019, 23:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There were a number of locally designed and built S&S hull shape rip offs built in WA, usually in FG and the roughly the same dimensions as the S&S but with the blended for end of the coach roof as the one in the image. They came about just after John Sanders did his first non stop circumnavigation when S&S were getting a lot of publicity. Can't recall what they were called though but UFO 34 is tickling my memory a bit.

I did notice some similarities with the UFO 34. I am back at the marina on Friday, I will see if the broker had any luck tracking down the builder.
Old 01-07-2019, 23:11   #8

If that's an S&S of any size I'll walk to China.
Looks more like a Temptress or Boro, Pugh or something of that ilk.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2019, 23:17   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

USdivers61 thanks for the good laugh, I almost spat my coffee on the computer screen. No one can seriously think that’s an S&S, surely even the broker knows it’s not? That chine on the top sides is a dead giveaway.
Let’s just say old steely, old diesel how olds the rig and sails, how thin is the steel on the hull? I think you can buy a more expensive yacht that will work out cheaper in the end.
Cheers
Old 01-07-2019, 23:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
USdivers61 thanks for the good laugh, I almost spat my coffee on the computer screen. No one can seriously think that’s an S&S, surely even the broker knows it’s not? That chine on the top sides is a dead giveaway.
Let’s just say old steely, old diesel how olds the rig and sails, how thin is the steel on the hull? I think you can buy a more expensive yacht that will work out cheaper in the end.
Cheers

I think you are right about that. I also laughed when the broker told me it was a Sparkman & Stephens 34. The other boat I am considering is the TopHat 25 - much smaller boat, but everything in order, and with a full keel.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gree...k-3/1221269382
Old 02-07-2019, 03:48   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

There is this Clansman down your way.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kool...cht/1221552414
I surveyed a Top Hat this month that had real bad osmosis. Not that is really a big issue on a small hull.
Cheers
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers61 View Post
I think you are right about that. I also laughed when the broker told me it was a Sparkman & Stephens 34. The other boat I am considering is the TopHat 25 - much smaller boat, but everything in order, and with a full keel.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gree...k-3/1221269382
Are you into Yoga? Getting below on the Top Hat looks like it could be a real maneuver. It has a porta-potti? The 34'er is a LOT bigger, but the "pedigree" issue makes the "clean bilges, well-painted and corrosion free" questionable as well. Knowing that the rust isn't doing any sleeping on a 40 year-old boat might keep me awake at nights too.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:09   #13

We discussed this on the seabreeze forums. We came to the conclusion that the boat is a Bruce Roberts knock off. S&S never designed a hard chine vessel that we know of. Brockers love to give the boat an impressive title. It happens all the time. I can personally assure you that is not an S&S 34.

It’s clean. I can’t call it “crap” because I have never been for a ride on it before. It could still be a good buy.

I heard a story once, about a broker trying to sell a guy a Compass 28 after Being very stern that he doesn’t want a full keel. The broker told him the boats a fin keel. The guy said he wants to see photos of the boat out of the water. The broker replied by saying he now doesn’t know whether the compass is a full keel (which it is).

Regards,
Mick
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28   #14

Maybe S&S 34 inspired.....
Old 02-07-2019, 09:29   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I don't think the pedigree matters much at that price. By all means get good steel boat surveyor. Sonic test. Look deep. Oil analysis. Sail for a few days before purchase and bring an old salt with you.
Closed Thread

Tags
hull, steel, steel hull