Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 16:53   #421

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
What Brent says is true, but I'm told many of the Marine certifying agencies are no longer approving integral tanks. They insist on independent tanks bolted to the frames. Hull ruptures and oil leaks are what they are trying to avoid here. Yet, Brent has a very valid point, in order to service the hull under/behind the tanks so installed would be nearly impossible without disassembling the boat in the process. This is why I'm generally against bureaucrats and their mindless rules.

As to sheathing the hull with stainless. Ignore the fact it would be hugely expensive and you'd have an electrolysis problem between the dissimilar plates. Not inconsequential problems in themselves. You still create a problem of not having any access to the steel behind the stainless and no way to maintain it unless the covering plates were fully welded. I like the idea of stainless crash plates on obvious impact areas, but the entire hull seems impractical to me.

Regards,

Thomas
Old 05-07-2010, 17:03   #422
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Y66 said it all - 316 steel is expensive, and electrolysis between 316 and mild steel below the water line. It's overkill, adds weight and if I were going to do anything, just add some extra steel at that section. Anyway independent tanks make sense from a maintenance standpoint. But it's downright silly to anticipate every low percentile catastrophe on a boat
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 19:35   #423
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Salt Monkey,

Take a look at this, look at the boat's name.

BoatShop24.com - Ursamarine - International Yachtbroker - Nuestras Ofertas
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 19:39   #424
cruiser

Holy #$*@*# hpeer! And inside steering too! Monday Night DROOL!!!@!@
Old 05-07-2010, 19:40   #425
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
It's serendipity dude. Do it!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 19:48   #426
cruiser

No way hpeer you tempt me devil. I'm still awaiting these nut cases up north I emailed and contacted once to call me back. Boat of my dream. Never ever buy directly from an owner. I'm gonna be crushed.
Old 06-07-2010, 15:29   #427
cruiser

Ruptures are an environmental non-issue with water tanks, unless you consider it immoral to subject the marine environment to what you drink. ( What do you have in those water tanks anyway?)
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 15:35   #428
cruiser

I dont see a particular indication they were water...could be diesel...or battery acid!
Old 07-07-2010, 15:35   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post

As to sheathing the hull with stainless. Ignore the fact it would be hugely expensive and you'd have an electrolysis problem between the dissimilar plates. Not inconsequential problems in themselves. You still create a problem of not having any access to the steel behind the stainless and no way to maintain it unless the covering plates were fully welded. I like the idea of stainless crash plates on obvious impact areas, but the entire hull seems impractical to me.

Regards,

Thomas
Not to mention the PITA it would be to weld stainless plate tightly over a curved hull portion, stainless creeps and expands like crazy when you weld it, it seems the thinner the plate the more crazy it goes.
haidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:41   #430
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
What Brent says is true, but I'm told many of the Marine certifying agencies are no longer approving integral tanks. They insist on independent tanks bolted to the frames. Hull ruptures and oil leaks are what they are trying to avoid here. Yet, Brent has a very valid point, in order to service the hull under/behind the tanks so installed would be nearly impossible without disassembling the boat in the process. This is why I'm generally against bureaucrats and their mindless rules...
This is why I’m generally against broad sweeping generalisations, based upon mindless & unsubstantiated anecdotes.
I think you might need better informed advisors, telling you things.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:08   #431

Hello, I weld & fabricate a lot of light gage stainless steel. As far as the creeping and crawling goes it is no more than any other welded up steel component. You compensate for that with short tacks, knowing were and how comes with experience. Electrolysis is a non issue, it is not exposed to the saltwater environment. As far access behind the steel goes, if it is welded all around to the hull plate, oxygen cannot get at it, no rust. Never said to sheet the hull with s.s. I was talking about lining the interior of the tank with s.s. I mentioned earlier using s.s. the thickness of the hull plating, I changed my mind on that could, be a bit of a problem. I would use 20 gage s.s., this way you could bent up the 90 degree angles on the side, and end pieces. The use of porte power would make the bottom piece of s.s. conform to what ever shape the hull is. Is this more cost effective, if you were to add up the steps that it would to take to do either way, sandblasting and painting comes close to the same. The advantages are added strength,no worries about paint contaminating fuel filters or water.
Fred
spiritbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:16   #432

So where's the "mindless and unsubstantiated" anecdote in my quote you referenced Gordo?

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 08-07-2010, 09:28   #433
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
So where's the "mindless and unsubstantiated" anecdote in my quote you referenced Gordo?
Thanks,
Thomas
The one I emboldened:
"... I'm told many of the Marine certifying agencies are no longer approving integral tanks..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35   #434

I was told that by a very well know Naval Architect during a conversation we had about one of his designs I was interested in. He deals with ABS, Lloyds, etc. on a regular basis. I believe him to be honest. He no longer includes integral tanks in his plans for this reason. I'm at a loss as to how this was mindless and unsubstantiated.

Thomas
Old 08-07-2010, 09:53   #435
cruiser

Quote:
...I was told that by a very well know Naval Architect during a conversation we had about one of his designs I was interested in...
Wow, thats news to me! Can we get his name, Y66?

What about the "Marine certifying agencies?"