Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 18:18   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44
Steel Boat Rust

Hey all. I'm currently rebuilding a Bruce Roberts offshore 44. I've found some rust in the hull and currently in the process of taking the water tanks out, fuel tanks, and holding tanks so I can get at it with a wire brush and Enamel paint. The only problem is that the boat is stored in Canada and the cold climate wont allow for the paint to adhere and bond properly. I read that it needs to be at least 10 degrees Celsius for 48 hours, and heating my boat would be easy enough, but keeping the metal at that temperature would be difficult. Do I need to worry about this rust spreading over the winter, or is this a situation I can deal with once it gets warmer? The boat is getting sealed up so no water can make its way into the little corners to continue to rot.
thanks!
Captain Zay.
Captain Zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 18:39   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Steel Boat Rust

Wait until spring
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 18:44   #3

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

I've been told that steel boats rust from the inside out, and I think it is true. You are right, it is all about prep and if you can sandblast or get all the rust out, the finishes work well. In the real world where you can get at all the rust there is hope. You need to seal off the oxygen and close the pores. In Europe they have a lot of barges and because of the cargos can't use paint or a coating to finish off the holds so they use this wax/oil stuff. It goes on thin, doesn't smell too much, almost smells like molasses and dries to a nice dark finish. It coats the rust and doesn't allow the water to penetrate. It saved my boat and I have to thank the old Dutch captain who recommended it to me. They sell it on the fuel barges and it comes in gallon jugs. What? don't have a local fuel barge, well you are in luck, I think Toplicht from Germany will send you some. - https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/yach...oel-hansalux-u

I recoat every year or two and slosh it up in areas that I can't reach any other way.

- Rich
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 21:46   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

As above: wait to spring.
Most chemical reactions slow down at lower temperatures, including rusting. A couple of months with your boat would not change the situation much, you only lose some time/progress.

Tags
boat, steel