Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 15:50   #1

Starting to plan for a Cruising Life

I have been sailing the Great Lakes since I was 10 years old in day sailers, from 11-30 feet. I understand the concepts of sailing, some about harbors and electronics, but am unsure how I should start looking at and planning for a boat I would live on. That is 5-8 years away, but want to get started.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
jakinchitown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:59   #2

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Starting to plan for a Cruising Life

Welcome Matey.
But do tell us about things like boat purchase budget, distance of horizons, crew numbers, monthly living expences / anticipated costs.
You're going to love this place.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 03:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jack.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 09:17   #4

Brianlara3, I would like to keep my boat purchase cost around $200k, I am planning on having it rigged for sailing shorthanded (by myself), I'm not sure I'll do an ocean crossing, but I'd like to be capable. My plan is to spend summers in Michigan on the Great Lakes and take the St Lawrence to the Atlantic down to FL or Caribbean for Winter. I would like total living expenses to be $50k per year, with repairing/upgrading major systems separate from that.

Does that sound realistic?
Old 23-12-2016, 09:29   #5

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

How much time do you plan to be in a marina vs. mooring/anchor?

We're starting off for a couple of years in a marina while still working. That pushes down the priority of better battery bank, power generation, power conservation, water desal, storm preparation...

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 09:40   #6

Boat: PT-11

save every penny
Mr. Money Mustache — Early Retirement through Badassity
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 09:41   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Jack, I would say get a boat now, and go cruising as much as possible. You live in one of the great cruising areas of the world. The best way to learn is to do -- so go do.

I would buy an inexpensive, but solid older cruising boat; something in the 26 to 32 foot range. Go explore your surrounds, and then further as your skills develop. Learn how to manage all the systems of a typical cruising boat (rigging, deck, anchor, engine, sails, navigation, electronics, refrigeration, plumbing, head, etc…).

After you’ve cruised with this boat for a few years (seasonally) you’ll understand what you really need and want in The Boat.
Old 23-12-2016, 09:44   #8

Mike OReilly, thanks. Good suggestion

Rick G, I would say about 65/35 anchor/mooring vs marina
Old 23-12-2016, 10:11   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi Jack, I would say get a boat now, and go cruising as much as possible. You live in one of the great cruising areas of the world. The best way to learn is to do -- so go do.

I would buy an inexpensive, but solid older cruising boat; something in the 26 to 32 foot range. Go explore your surrounds, and then further as your skills develop. Learn how to manage all the systems of a typical cruising boat (rigging, deck, anchor, engine, sails, navigation, electronics, refrigeration, plumbing, head, etc…).

After you’ve cruised with this boat for a few years (seasonally) you’ll understand what you really need and want in The Boat.
I would suggest doing the opposite (not to be contrary). Your budget allows for a purchase in the 45ft range less than 12 years old, so buy something fully equipped, be comfortable and enjoy your sailing adventures.

Meanwhile, save your money, obtain a charter license and charter a 40 footer once a year leading up to your purchase. Don't get buried financially and emotionally on some old fixer-upper, focus instead on the end game.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 01:04   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakinchitown View Post
Brianlara3, I would like to keep my boat purchase cost around $200k, I am planning on having it rigged for sailing shorthanded (by myself), I'm not sure I'll do an ocean crossing, but I'd like to be capable. My plan is to spend summers in Michigan on the Great Lakes and take the St Lawrence to the Atlantic down to FL or Caribbean for Winter. I would like total living expenses to be $50k per year, with repairing/upgrading major systems separate from that.

Does that sound realistic?

We sail a Jeanneau DS40 and I single handed it for a year up and down the east coast of the USA -- but you need to make a list of what you want in a boat and start a search and attend a bunch of boat shows not to buy but to look and see and learn what you like and what you don't

as for cost there are 2 of us and we capture each penny we spend - about 2.5-3k per month
our 7 years expenses are here -- http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-164643.html
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 08:56   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you consider building up your reference library...

I recommend you begin by giving yourself the gift of The Voyager's Handbook by Beth Leonard.

Enjoy the journey...

Cheers! Bill
Old 24-12-2016, 09:05   #12

Boat: Catalina 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
as for cost there are 2 of us and we capture each penny we spend - about 2.5-3k per month
our 7 years expenses are here -- http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-164643.html
Thanks, Chuckr, for sharing.
This is really helpful for us being realistic for casting off in 2019
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:22   #13

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

As Mike said, first things first, buy your boat. Live on it, make it home, love your boat and enjoy being on her. But remember, like any woman she'll have things that drive you crazy. You may even want a divorce. But it's better to find out now than later.

If you're in the Great Lakes the only way to get to the Gulf on the water requires you to pass under some low fixed bridges. You'll have to unstep your mast before entering the canal system in Chicago. I don't know for sure how far south you'll have to go before you can put it back up. Prepare a cradle before you go, you may decide to keep the mast down until you get to the Gulf.
Old 24-12-2016, 09:23   #14

Boat: Catalina 375

I assume you are looking to pay in USD $200K . With the exchange rates, you could buy one hell of a boat for that kind of money in Canada. I would lean towards a bigger boat for live abord. Just make sure it is solid. You might not always be single handed. I have been learning my boat for 5 years on Lake Ontario so I am ready to head down the St Lawrence in June. Counting the days.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:35   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Perhaps I should expand on the reasoning for my advice.

First off, I really do believe the best way to learn the cruising lifestyle is to do. You’ll quickly discover (as you likely already know) that sailing is the easiest part about the cruising lifestyle. It’s all the other stuff about owning and living with a cruising vessel that is the challenge. Cruising is not the same as chartering for a week or two a year. That is called vacationing. Cruising is about living and exploring from a smallish sailboat that you are responsible for.

Secondly, unless you are very wise, it is hard to know what is important to you and your crew in the choice of boat right off the bat. Spend a few months living and travelling on a boat and you’ll start to learn what you really want and need — what’s really important to the way you want to cruise.

The OP lives on the Great Lakes — an amazing seasonal cruising ground. With a boat in the 26 to 32 foot range (s)he can get going right away. Start learning how to manage this floating, moving home. All without a major outlay of cash. Go bigger if you must, but at this range you can find inexpensive quality boats that contain all the standard systems found on all cruising boats. And at this range there is no where on the Great Lakes that are out of reach.

My suggestion is clearly not the only way. Some people have successfully gone the chartering route, and bought The Boat right off the bat. But if you poll most cruisers here you’ll quickly learn that most of us have gone through multiple previous boats before arriving at their current The Boat.

Tags
cruising