Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 10:00   #16

Re: Starting to plan for a Cruising Life

Something that you probably didnt learn in daysailors, but is critically important for a cruiser is anchoring skills and how to set your ground tackle up for short handed cruising. The anchoring section of CF is full of endless arguments on what is the best (which is all opinions) ground tackle, but reading there can give you a lot of information. Good ground tackle and knowing how to use it, is the best insurance policy a boat can have. Just another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 12:56   #17

In case you have not discovered AdventuresOnBoats.com, it is the collected wisdom of hundreds of cruisers on all topics sailing and cruising with a few extra thrown in. Check it out, as it has helped many before you.
-johnny
johnny AoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 13:08   #18

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny AoB View Post
In case you have not discovered AdventuresOnBoats.com, it is the collected wisdom of hundreds of cruisers on all topics sailing and cruising with a few extra thrown in. Check it out, as it has helped many before you.
-johnny
Thanks for that reference Johnny. Your Christmas gift to me....you might just have saved my butt, you never know. Nice present...Merry Christmas and a quiet and pleasant next 4 years to you and all Americans.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 13:47   #19

I'll second Mike O'Reilly. Just do it. 45 years of sailing, 7 seasons in the Med, and 2 years full time live aboard, and I'm learning new stuff every day. Jump in. If you want to be an expert...have a it. Take your courses, get your certs, save your money, buy your dream boat, and live your dream.

Or...

If you want to enjoy life and enjoy the new challenges it throws your way every day, just jump in and buy the smaller more affordable 30 year old good old boat and come on out.

Sailing is the easy part (and so is navigating). Experience comes from doing it, not from dreaming it.

Either way, being out here doing it sure beats sitting in an office saving for it.

PT

PS. Like Chuckr, it costs us around 1500-1800 Euro a month all in (about $2500 USD per month all in with travel, maint, food etc...). But there are many folk we meet doing it for less, and quite a few doing it on more.... You will find that it costs as much as you have, regardless of what you have. The hard part is making the decision to go.
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 14:19   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I would suggest doing the opposite (not to be contrary). Your budget allows for a purchase in the 45ft range less than 12 years old, so buy something fully equipped, be comfortable and enjoy your sailing adventures.

Meanwhile, save your money, obtain a charter license and charter a 40 footer once a year leading up to your purchase. Don't get buried financially and emotionally on some old fixer-upper, focus instead on the end game.

Totally agree.......buy right the first time after identifying parameters via chartering. Also, you'll save on moorings, maintenance, insurance etc in the meanwhile (unless you live aboard). You'll also understand what you need in the way of 'kit'.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 14:44   #21

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Are you travelling alone? with significant other? if alone, then stay way under 40ft. its a lot of boat to handle alone while you're still learning. but something 30-35 for now. It will make the trip no problem. $200K for a boat is soooo much money unless you want something really new ( which doesn't mean you won't be spending $ fixing it!) get something now. you can get great boats for under $50k no problem be in the 35ft range and everything is easier. slip fees are lower, equipement costs are lower. fuel bills lower,etc. etc.

Don't wait 5-8 years, GO NOW! you don;'t know where you'll be financially or health in 5-8 years so why wait.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 15:01   #22
cruiser

Once again the go now, go small and go cheap camping crowd forgets that cruising doesn't have to be a 100% sell everything and live the rest of one's life on-the-cheap proposition.

Life can be enjoyed just as much (or even more) by cruising part-time and saving up for the "Dream." I doesn't need to be all all-or nothing lifestyle.

For six years now, we've been cruising full-time for five-six months, then back to work for six-seven months.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:03   #23

Quote:
Once again the go now, go small and go cheap camping crowd forgets that cruising doesn't have to be a 100% sell everything and live the rest of one's life on-the-cheap proposition.

Life can be enjoyed just as much (or even more) by cruising part-time and saving up for the "Dream." I doesn't need to be all all-or nothing lifestyle.

For six years now, we've been cruising full-time for five-six months, then back to work for six-seven months.
Not at all what I was going for. 35 feet is definitely comfortable, not camping at all. but you also don't need to spend $200k on a boat to be comfortable. he hasn't even gone yet, so why spend soo much money the first go round? What if he decides he doesn't like it? that's a lot of money down the drain!!
Old 24-12-2016, 18:10   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Not at all what I was going for. 35 feet is definitely comfortable, not camping at all. but you also don't need to spend $200k on a boat to be comfortable. he hasn't even gone yet, so why spend soo much money the first go round? What if he decides he doesn't like it? that's a lot of money down the drain!!
'Sounds to me more like the OP is working hard and saving up to do things the way he wants to do it. $200k will buy him more comfort aboard a newer boat in five years time. Meanwhile, he can learn and enjoy cruising part-time or occasionally as time permits.

$200k might seem like a lot of money to some folks on CF, to others it's a starting point and to others it's chump change.
Old 24-12-2016, 19:19   #25

Quote:
'Sounds to me more like the OP is working hard and saving up to do things the way he wants to do it. $200k will buy him more comfort aboard a newer boat in five years time. Meanwhile, he can learn and enjoy cruising part-time or occasionally as time permits.

$200k might seem like a lot of money to some folks on CF, to others it's a starting point and to others it's chump change.
Agreed. For me $200k is my boat, crusing money, AND probably $120k to come back with and buy another house!
Old 24-12-2016, 21:11   #26

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Chump change?

Well, if that is so little, how's about someone donate about three or four grand (mere pennies, I tell you!) for me to finish off my sailboat and pay my yard fees off, and I will come out and meet you for a beer in the Bahamas this spring?

Better yet, front me 20 grand and I will buy another boat that is ready for the trip as-is, and we will meet for lobster someplace!

Just sayin' is all...

I am easy to please!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 06:45   #27

Boat: C&C

Wait another couple of years to purchase and save more money meanwhile. Lots of Cats coming out of the charter fleets in the 38-42 ft range. Dress one up a bit with some solar and whatever else you think you might need. You won't have to change boats again. Plus you'll have tons of room for yourself and even a mate if you stumble upon one. So buy a Cat and don't look back!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 06:52   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Wait another couple of years to purchase and save more money meanwhile. Lots of Cats coming out of the charter fleets in the 38-42 ft range. Dress one up a bit with some solar and whatever else you think you might need. You won't have to change boats again. Plus you'll have tons of room for yourself and even a mate if you stumble upon one. So buy a Cat and don't look back!!!
Excellent advice. Look for an owner's version.
Old 25-12-2016, 07:46   #29

Quote:
Excellent advice. Look for an owner's version.
Cats are great, just keep in mind that almost all the costs for a cat are double that of a mono hull!!
Old 25-12-2016, 08:26   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Cats are great, just keep in mind that almost all the costs for a cat are double that of a mono hull!!
Another myth.

Even in the Med, there're many nice marinas that charge the same rate for cats and monohulls. Cats have two engines to service, but each one is used only half as much. Doing the engine service myself on our mono costs less than $100 per season. Most marinas in the US are older and can't accomodate cats, but elsewhere in the world, especially where Med mooring is common, cats can be moored just as easily. Anchoring costs are the same.

Tags
cruising