Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 14:39   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Starting from scrach... Instrumentation

I think most of the time chartplotters are hugely overrated. How many of us do not know our local waters like the back of our hand? And how many of us ever venture far away to need another chart?

We sailed for years with just a plain chart and a handheld gps. Total cost 150 USD number of groundings (undisclosed). And that was in foreign and extremely obstacle rich territory. A rock a cable or something like this.

I used plotters on the boats I worked for but I never miss one in our own. I did use a tablet in the West Indies last time but it is mostly for fun rather than out of any realistic need.

Still, it is OK, I think, to have any toys one likes. Also chartplotters and other more advanced navionics, why not.

And a drone!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 16:03   #17

Boat: Olympic 40 On 851431

I am looking to upgrade a electronics and have been researching the Chinese Manufactures via Alibaba ,Most Manufactures will source from theses and rebrand
worth a look would appreciate others opinions

https://www.alibaba.com/marine-plotter-suppliers.html
Dash-Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 19:31   #18

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Congrats on your purchase,best investment ever,you have now joined a very special "sect" of people who love the sea and boats.
I do not know what is the best instrumentation or the best systems.
All I know is some of us have decided on sailboats cause we enjoy the peace and sense of accomplishment on conquering nature and use those basic tools {wind,sea,boat} to develop a sea sense that will help to leave port and hopefully return in one piece.
I am somehow familiar with your area,I used to leave in Morro Bay where I learn how to sail in the ocean.
Because all sailing was done by line of sight the basic rule was,coast on starboard going north and port going south.except from Santa Monica to Point Conception.
Even when moved the boat to Oxnard sailed by line of sight to Channel Islands except when sailing to Catalina,that was an overnight and radar was a Must to avoid collisions and keep safe distance from the islands,that of course with plotting on paper charts/now electronic charts.
My depth finder was not that big of a deal because overall coastal waters on the Pacific side are deep,and did not install one until I was ready to go cruising "south of the border",just glued the transducer inside and served me well.
Knotmeter,did not take long to have the paddle wheel get fouled by growth,now these days I rely on the gps chart plotter to give me more accurate readings of speed over ground so personally epoxied/cancelled the contraption and one less hole.
Same for depth finder transducer,never took it out as was nicely sealed,but I installed a transducer inside and saved another hole {I am superstitious about holes in my boat.
Communications,well a hand operated VHF was fine,two when needs increased like somebody on the dinghy and other aboard.
Autopilot yes,basic setup just to have the freedom to go down for whatever or enjoy the ride as an spectator,or change sails whatever.
Chart plotter eventually added one,however seem to get more out of the cheap ten inches tablet,with free charts and cheap GPS dongle.
ESSENTIAL on Morro Bay area a RADAR,fog closes very fast and makes the difference between safe return or serious problems.
Southern California does not have a fog problem,but a late return/arrival from Catalina or Channel Islands will make for a hairy experience when you are looking at all those lights on the coast trying to distinguish buoys from cars!!!
Wind instruments are nice if budget allows,otherwise a wet finger and some wind tales on the shrouds are fine,nothing wrong to develop a sense for where the wind blows.
If can stay away from that jewelry store called WM,you will save a lot and become a more discriminating buyer.
Bottom line Minimum
Safety: Radar
Comfort: Autopilot
Communications: Hand held
Navigation:7" chart plotter

Enjoy your boat
davil is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum