Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 06:37   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46
Standing rigging failure in Cancun isla Mujeres

Hello
I have a Hunter 340 and was sailing to Isla Mujueres when my Forestay failed. Winds were light about 14 knots. Sail was reefed, Anyway we need a crane as the mast partially destepped. A new forestay. Anyone know of a boatyard or rigger and the cancun area that will do this type of work. We were already told the isla mujeres boatyard had no riggers and did not do sailboats.

Thanks
Troylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 13:11   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Standing rigging failure in Cancun isla Mujeres

If the mast only needs to be shifted, then perhaps you could get one or two boats with taller masts than you to come along side. Then use their halyards to maneuver the mast. You could have a forestay made up in the states and shipped down, or perhaps make up a tempoaraty one with dyneema.
Old 28-03-2015, 13:15   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Yup.. I'll bet if you contact rigging only (HOME) they can quickly build you a forestay and ship it express.

Wished I could help with a yard.

I hope everything works out..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:24   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If the mast only needs to be shifted, then perhaps you could get one or two boats with taller masts than you to come along side. Then use their halyards to maneuver the mast..
Yep, good idea. Many, many years ago, there was an article in Cruising World where a cruiser, almost in the middle of nowhere, needed to fully raise & step his mast.
Two Westsail 32's anchored parallel to one another, both anchored for & aft, in a quiet cove, with the mastless boat firmly tied to them both with lots of fenders in between.

The Westsails were chosen as both had the same mast heights, & other identical measurements. Plus stout spars, & lots of stability.

They then proceeded, with lots of coordination, mechanical advantage, winches & tethers, to raise up the downed mast off of the deck, & step it through the deck, onto the keel.
Pretty neat trick of seamanship, not to mention cooperation & kindness.

I'd think that the odds are good that something similar would work here. And that it'd pay for all 3 skippers & key players to sit down & make out a procedurals checklist, with contingencies scripted out for the most likely forseeable goofs.... I think that everyone gets the general idea.

Post repair, have you given any thought to a Solent, or Staysail stay?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:48   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you just need to reseat the mast, this idea could work. I once had a boat with a mast that had been damaged due to backstay failure. I had to cut about 4" off the bottom and add an extension piece to the mast step. I did this on the water by making a "jack" out of hardwood, long bolts and angle iron. Basically what I did was clamp the mast between shaped wood and jack up using four long bolts as the standing rigging was progressively slackened. Once raised enough to clear the mast step, I tapped the whole contraption with a small sledgehammer to move it out of the way. The "jack" was custom made so it was able to be slide past the mast step. Wasn't pretty, wasn't safe and I did attract a small crowd of onlookers on the day but it worked. I did also tie the mast up with line to various points on the boat just above the jack clamp so it couldn't slip and get out of control if things went pear shaped (which it very nearly did, but that's another story).
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:07   #6

I'd talk to either Tom or Dennis at Marina Paraiaso. They can help wiith getting you networked. While you're there, make sure you visit the Joyxee floating bottle island in Laguna Macax and say hi to Richie for me.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:02   #7

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

Hello, As Uncivilized mentioned, using two similar sized sailboats with robust rigs to re-set your mast would work well if the harbor conditions are good. You wouldn't want any swell,wakes or chop for this endeavor. The last time I was in Playa Naranjo in Costa Rica we used our 20t ketch and a similar sized boat (Sundazzler) to put a several hundred pound stick onto another boat. We used our spinnaker halyards and with a good discussion on safety, technique and everyones role to play, it went very well. To just reposition a mast that is already standing would not take much effort. I will try to include a picture for fun.
cheers, greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whatevermast2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	99658  
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 14:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

29.03.15. Right now we are in Marina Paraiso - we are told there are no such facilities. With the winds we are having since Friday afternoon you are goosed for the time being. Have you considered using your lifelines as an emergency stay?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 18:58   #9

Boat: B-411 .. #14

I just used my forward Halyard to hold the rigging in Place while I re and re the furler and forward stay on B411 worked well just take your time and think each step through Replacement should be quick and easy other than shipping new one sv Chkm8 Belize
Chkm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancun, rigging