Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 16:29   #16

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Re: Stainless Steel Monohull 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I read a book, recently about an English guy who sailed around the world north-south (as opposed to the more traditional west-east). I'm pretty sure his boat was stainless (originally built by a Frenchman who worked for Inox). The boat stood up to the rigors of the trip very well (wish I could remember the name of the book, though).

Its funny, though, how quickly people tar all stainless steel with the same brush... attributing everything with the same characteristics. 2205 duplex is about as similar to 316 as cheese to elephant...
I believe the book you are referring to is Over the Top by Adrian Flanagan.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 16:51   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Won't just need a cruising budget... you'll need a polish budget...
and a 50 gallon holding tank for the Sheila shine... and very dark sunglasses... and insulated Topsiders.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 20:17   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I'd like to hear more of that story, if you have the time or a link.
This is from the link in the OP

Hand-built in France to a design by renowned naval architect, François Charpentier the material for this yacht was quality-tested and supplied by the national French Stainless Steel fabricator. Although construction was completed in 1991, Barrabas was not actually floated until 1993. In the interim, she was used as an exhibit at international steel trade fairs.

There are a number of stainless boats floating around, and they are fine... Right up until they aren't. Where HSS steel rusts from the outside in, and can be treated with paint, SS rusts from the inside out, and paint can actually make the problem worse. If salt ever gets inside the paint from a crack, or scratch it is almost sure death for the part. This is why stainless is almost never coated. It's the same reason why coated wire lifelines are prohibited on racing boats. They can look perfect and have no strength left.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:14   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here are some facts about SS>>> Why is Stainless Steel Stainless?

Quote:
In seawater, chlorides from the salt will attack and destroy the passive film more quickly than it can be repaired in a low oxygen environment.
And this is why it needs to be sealed off from the sea water with epoxy. The passivity is also what rejects stuff (paint) from sticking. That's why an immediate under coat has to be put on before the oxygen creates the film. Old school machine shop.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:51   #20

My stainless propeller shaft and nut have been immersed unprotected for 30 years. The nut too. The swim ladder is in most of the time. So far so good.

But it does seem like a poor choice of materials for a yacht. Stainless polishing is not my favorite pastime, and painted stainless is as bad as plain steel.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:03   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, artic warrior.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:03   #22

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

There are a number of stainless boats floating around, and they are fine... Right up until they aren't. Where HSS steel rusts from the outside in, and can be treated with paint, SS rusts from the inside out, and paint can actually make the problem worse. If salt ever gets inside the paint from a crack, or scratch it is almost sure death for the part. This is why stainless is almost never coated. It's the same reason why coated wire lifelines are prohibited on racing boats. They can look perfect and have no strength left.
I'd think that there would be some advantage to a stainless boat, in terms of the maintenance of the inside of its stainless hull - a traditional troublespot. But - there's the factor of the "unknown" to contend with. Maybe that's why the boat has been listed for a while. I'd be OK with the material if there were a fool proof non-destructive metalurgical testing means by which to properly and regularly survey the hull. Know of any? Maybe the lifeline rules were put into play when people were still using oldtime stainless rather than titanium enriched 316L?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59   #23

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Googling around the net, I found information about stainless steel used in the underwater parts of offshore drilling rigs. Extensive use of diode and resistor controlled cathodic protection was mentioned in a few of the articles, describing the use of stainless in the rigs.

In another article, it was mentioned that fifty percent of the maintenance cost of military aircraft is corrosion related, and much of that is crevice corrosion (less oxygen at high altitude). The military has magnetic particle flaw detectors, eddy current detectors, xray diffraction machines, and various other things to test for crevice corrosion. They inspect the aircraft on a continuous basis.

I haven't noticed any marine surveyors who advertise magnetic-particle-flaw surveyor service, so maybe I'll stick with chasing less complicated steel boats ...

Old 07-12-2013, 05:51   #24

Boat: Steel Damien 45 High lattitude vessel swing keel, Got lost and now in the med ha ha

Thank you very much young man,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, artic warrior.
artic warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 21:51   #25

Mag particle is good and cheap to do on your own but it doesn't show deep cracks it crevices, but it doesn't work on all stainless. Most stainless is non magnetic so mag particle doesn't work. The only good way to indirect it is xray and that is not cheap...
Old 13-11-2014, 21:53   #26

Away from the subject(kinda), any body knows of the performance of the 43 charpentier trireme steel hull?
Thanks
Old 14-11-2014, 07:20   #27

Boat: Steel Damien 45 High lattitude vessel swing keel, Got lost and now in the med ha ha

Hi,,,I don't actually know figures on paper,
but did race on last year for about 30 miles,,,
We both averaged about 7 to 8 knots,,,
We have a slightly more slippery hull and are 45 ft but we did just pull away from it by a knot or so,,,,My sails are hanging thou which doesn't help much,,,,was a fun day thou.
artic warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 07:27   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Without oxygen, stainless steel corrodes.

It also has a relatively low strength to weight ratio.

Stainless has the shortest elongation at 2%. It's martensitic structure makes it strong but brittle. You do not want a relatively brittle hull, which need to flex. Just like an aircrafts air frame and wings need to flex.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 08:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by artic warrior View Post
Hi,,,I don't actually know figures on paper,
but did race on last year for about 30 miles,,,
We both averaged about 7 to 8 knots,,,
We have a slightly more slippery hull and are 45 ft but we did just pull away from it by a knot or so,,,,My sails are hanging thou which doesn't help much,,,,was a fun day thou.
Thank you,

I am looking fur her performance as far as upwind and downwind.I'm still trying to find out her keel design but I can't get in touch with any body that knows and the sellers dint know and she is about a1300 mile
away.
Can't really find her lines and sail plan...
If any body knows of an owner I'll appreciate it if you can relay contact info if the owners dint mind.

Thanks
Old 14-11-2014, 08:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Without oxygen, stainless steel corrodes.

It also has a relatively low strength to weight ratio.

Stainless has the shortest elongation at 2%. It's martensitic structure makes it strong but brittle. You do not want a relatively brittle hull, which need to flex. Just like an aircrafts air frame and wings need to flex.
I coudn't open the boat link, but I seriously doubt a boat would be made from Martensitic SS. Far more likely Austenitic/300 series. Martensitic is not that easy to weld and requires extra steps to do so. 300 series should have more like 30+% elongation. In water the SS should be fine, but any wet trapped areas deprived of oxygen would be a problem... like between stringers and the hull etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monohull