Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2015, 08:14   #16

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35
Re: SSV Oliver Hazard Perry

Great video. Thanks!
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 08:16   #17

Boat: CS36T

I believe the Oliver Hazzard is a modern steel hulled and masted vessel built to modern design standards. This is not a replica wooden ship.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 09:10   #18

Add the topsail schooner Californian, brig Lady Washington, topsail ketch Hawaiian Chieftain, the two brigantines Irving and the Exy Johnson, and the soon to be launched San Salvador to that list of American tallships built during the past hundred years. And they all carry squares!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 10:54   #19

Boat: Mariner 36

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437328406.394364.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	105611
Berthed at Maine State Pier today, Portland Maine

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 11:56   #20

Interesting. She carries her clews as dog-ears inboard like an 1850's ship, and not out at the yardarms as in later rigs. Also, she has full topsails. I like that! It makes her look a lot older, and can I say pirate-y? Yeah, I know what it takes to furl those big squares -- a lot of climbing crew. Can I help?
Old 20-07-2015, 16:07   #21

Boat: CLC Skerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsw00 View Post
Actually, it was at least the FOURTH tall ship built in last 100 years: Godspeed, replica of ship that brought the first permanent English Colonists to North America, was built in Jamestown in 1984.
In the 1980's I skippered the replica HMS Dolfin out of San Diego: she had been built in Maine earlier in the '80s. BOth were wood and three-masted, and not schooners.
-Steve
Steve and everyone: I was the first captain of a private yacht named HMS Dolphin, built in Nova Scotia in 1973. I ran her for 3 years from launching in Meteghan River, NS, Canada. We toured the East coast, Great Lakes, and Bahamas. She was sold in about 1977-78 and sailed to San Diego, where I saw her again in 1984, in excellent condition, owned by a Mr. Malloy. Steve, is this the same vessel? She was 55 ft. on deck, barkentine rigged, single diesel, mahogany planked on sawn oak frames, marconi mizzen, gaff main, roller jibs and stays'ls. If anyone knows the whereabouts or owner of this boat and/or wants additional history on her, please contact me by PM.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 06:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
Steve and everyone: I was the first captain of a private yacht named HMS Dolphin, built in Nova Scotia in 1973. I ran her for 3 years from launching in Meteghan River, NS, Canada. We toured the East coast, Great Lakes, and Bahamas. She was sold in about 1977-78 and sailed to San Diego, where I saw her again in 1984, in excellent condition, owned by a Mr. Malloy. Steve, is this the same vessel? She was 55 ft. on deck, barkentine rigged, single diesel, mahogany planked on sawn oak frames, marconi mizzen, gaff main, roller jibs and stays'ls. If anyone knows the whereabouts or owner of this boat and/or wants additional history on her, please contact me by PM.
If we're going to stretch the definition to include Nova Scotia, then let's not forget HMS Bounty, built in 1960 in Lunenburg. That's my avatar!