Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2016, 02:35   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Squeeky Mast troubleshooting

No worris on the assist, you're welcome. As to further thoughts; tuning the rig's a good first step. Particularly as movement in spars & rigging is where most of the wear & tear on things comes from. And sailing in light air tends to do more damage to things in the long run, than does heavy weather. Especially if things are loose.

It shouldn't hurt to tighten the backstay, prior to getting things tuned. And DIY tuning is a good thing to learn, as it's not difficult to do. Plus the required tools aren't outrageous in cost. So you'll recoup the funds, & then some, over time.
And it's rare (as in almost never) that you go up the rig, & don't see something which could use some TLC. And checking everything up there's a good thing to do before & after any long, or arduous passage.

As far as tuning, this is one of the books which I own https://www.amazon.com/Sail-Rig-Tuni...p_s_cp_24_WNXH
And no, it's not exactly the latest thing, but it's pretty good.
Also, sailmaker's, & their websites sometimes have useful tuning info. And you might peruse this site as tool, it's got loads of info on boat upkeep www.L36.com

Hope I'm not telling you too much of what you already know And good luck!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 02:58   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Ha, I remember doing the squeek patrol on a 50 year old wooden brigantine. We would wander around below and try to find what bit of joinery or structure was making the sqeek or creak or groan as the ship rolled, then we would squirt a bit of machine oil into the gap. If it stopped the noise we new we had found the problem part and we would mark it for regular oiling, or drill it for a grease gun..

Same concept might work for you. A dab of lubricant on selected parts. If the noise stops you have found the source.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-06-2016, 03:01   #18

Boat: Oceanis 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

Hope I'm not telling you too much of what you already know And good luck!
Nope, all really useful info. Thanks.

Beneteau Oceanis 40 - 2008
Mallorca
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 03:03   #19

Boat: Oceanis 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha, I remember doing the squeek patrol on a 50 year old wooden brigantine. We would wander around below and try to find what bit of joinery or structure was making the sqeek or creak or groan as the ship rolled, then we would squirt a bit of machine oil into the gap. If it stopped the noise we new we had found the problem part and we would mark it for regular oiling, or drill it for a grease gun..

Same concept might work for you. A dab of lubricant on selected parts. If the noise stops you have found the source.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes we did the same (without drilling) it's silent down below, just the mast squeek to sort to accomplish complete tranquility.

Beneteau Oceanis 40 - 2008
Mallorca
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 04:12   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Correction: I goofed on one of the links which I posted, it's www.L-36.com

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast