Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 23:55   #1

Spider Cracks

Hi this is my first post as an almost new yacht owner so hi all

I am in the process of purchasing my fist sail boat, she is a 1975 Triton 26 built in Sydney Australia ( not a Pearson) given her age she seems to be in fair condition. I havnt been able to get to much info on these yachts, so would appreciate any feedback from anyone who might own one or know anything about them.

Also a small concern is the spider cracks on the deck, the areas appear to be solid ( not spongy) maybe just cosmetic, do these generally need urgent attention?

and there also appears to be quite bad oxidisation of the gel coat on the deck, at what point does this require a new coat as apposed to a cut and polish?

is it safe to replace chain stays on the water as one is rusted?

what is a healthy color smoke for the yanmar diesel on cold start up?

the water tank has been contaminated with bilge water mixed with oil, is there a way to fix this so as the water would be back to drinking condition?

much appreciated.

Cheers

vistech 1
vistech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: spider cracks

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, vistech 1.

A cold diesel engine will often blow white smoke until engine warms up. The content of white smoke is finely atomized raw fuel and water vapour.

See
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-1-a-944.html

And
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ction-619.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistech1 View Post
Hi this is my first post as an almost new yacht owner so hi all

I am in the process of purchasing my fist sail boat, she is a 1975 Triton 26 built in Sydney Australia ( not a Pearson) given her age she seems to be in fair condition. I havnt been able to get to much info on these yachts, so would appreciate any feedback from anyone who might own one or know anything about them.
Welcome to CF . No personal knowledge of a Triton 26, but to give this thread a start and hopefully others will be along shortly..........

Quote:
Also a small concern is the spider cracks on the deck, the areas appear to be solid ( not spongy) maybe just cosmetic, do these generally need urgent attention?
A boat that age will usually have some somewhere. Very unlikely to need "urgent" attention (you would see any other problems that they have already caused or are a symptom of).....but nonetheless (apart from cosmetics) they may be an indicator of problems coming. It very much depends on where they are (and also whether deck cored or not).......any details? (a few threads around on both wet deck core and deck cracks / crazing.......I see GORD has beaten me to the first response! and with some useful links!).

Quote:
and there also appears to be quite bad oxidisation of the gel coat on the deck, at what point does this require a new coat as apposed to a cut and polish?
Once the gel coat goes "chalky" nothing will really bring it back to original, a cut and polish (and even a wet sand! - if enough gelcoat) won't last forever (a couple of years?). Gel coat replacement is not the fix, a coat of paint (or 3?!) is - but even then nothing as tough as original gelcoat.

On the upside, less than perfect adds character! for a boat of that age I would settle on a cut and polish and then see how things look (likely once you realise the work involved to do again, and that a DIY repaint would be 3 times the work that you will get less fussy / used to the look as it gradually "chalks up" again over coming years).

Quote:
is it safe to replace chain stays on the water as one is rusted?
If you mean chainplate, then yes - safe to do (you won't want to go sailing with one missing though!). Likely more of a PITA afloat than ashore - but boat missing one stay won't mean mast falls down (I wouldn't climb it like that though! probably ok. but only probably!)

Quote:
what is a healthy color smoke for the yanmar diesel on cold start up?
Folks here better placed that me to answer that!, for me it is more about volume! If she lays smoke like a WWII E-boat then that a fairly good indicator that have problems.

Quote:
the water tank has been contaminated with bilge water mixed with oil, is there a way to fix this so as the water would be back to drinking condition?
Yikes! that is a pig Am not sure if their is a good enough fix for that , apart from a steam clean (and likely that not practical). Might be able to get the water safe enough to drink (I await the advise of others!), but the taste might be a different thing! (albeit a charcoal water filter might help)......all depends on access and how tank built in, but I would be thinking about inserting a flexible bladder tank into the existing water tank.

Whilst common(?) enough for folks to fill the water tanks with diesel - never heard of bilge water getting in. I would be interested (as a buyer) in how that came about - could be that the tank is built in and has been fixed with a bodge that won't be lasting longterm.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:30   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Welcome aboard! You'll need a new water tank; what you have, cannot be cleaned and is not worth cleaning as you will always taste oil. Spider cracks...are they due to stresses of other parts on the boat?; if yes, major issues to be looked at. Up/Down cracks on the hull are fixable. Side-ways cracks on the hull are NOT fixable; junk the boat. Components' cracks due to metal fatigue/wear and tear; replace. (Sorry, I can't give you any advice on your diesel engine. Many sailors, on here, know much more about diesel engines than me.) Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:54   #5

Hi
Thanks guys great info
yes chain plate (chain stays are on my push bike ) just have to get the rusted bolts out

The water tank inlet was put at the bottom of the tank the hose broke and bilge water got in, but a bladder put inside the old tank might be a good option.

regarding the cracks on the deck, if the area around the cracks were spongy would this indicate more of a serious problem ie water damage deeper down below the gel coat? all the cracked areas appear solid. there doesnt appear to be any cracks in the hull (not above the water line anyway) does this indicate that the cracks might not relate to a more severe problem?

supposing they are cosmetic would it be possible to cover the cracked areas with stick on deck grip material after applying a primer /filler material? or am I being lazy?
Old 11-02-2013, 23:39   #6

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
Re: Spider Cracks

Re the water tank, you may be able to put in a liner-bladder rather than replacing it. Depends how big and expensive the tank is (I say this because I'm guessing a yacht such as you describe was not a million dollar purchase, and you may be interested in the budget option... as I would be!)
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04   #7

Re: Spider Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm0 View Post
Re the water tank, you may be able to put in a liner-bladder rather than replacing it. Depends how big and expensive the tank is (I say this because I'm guessing a yacht such as you describe was not a million dollar purchase, and you may be interested in the budget option... as I would be!)
Yeah thanks
your right budget option is the go, I may try and remove the old tank but as yet not sure what this involves, like anything, not easy I'm guessing.