Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 17:59   #211

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: "speed" vs "comfort"

Define "speed"... 5 knots? 7 Knots? 10 knots?

Our vessel sails only slightly heeled on our closest reach at about 6.0 knots in 20 knots breeze just by adjusting the sails a bit. If we were facing rough weather out in the middle of the ocean, we could either run from the weather at 6+ knots or hove-to but going head in is not really that much of an option because we slow down so much.

Is 1 or 2 really going to make a huge difference when we are in a situation out in the middle of the ocean? I don't have an answer for that... maybe if we are talking 10+ knots then speed would be better but in the end if you are going to get you ass whooped its going to happen over a huge area of sea right?

I think a turn of speed when needed is good, for example to make your way into port, but in other cases comfort wins out.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 18:44   #212

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

haven't read all the posts yet, but I would always want good light air performance. On a heavy boat you can easily get this with a tall mast and a bowsprit (or a gaff rig with topsails). The worst (IMHO) are heavy boats with small inboard rigs. Once the wind drops below 10 knots they struggle to keep enough speed and sail area to damp the motion in a seaway (unless you are happy to motorsail, then they work well). So I think a heavy boat with a bigger rig is best from a comfort and speed perspective, I have chosen a lighter boat (40 foot, 8 tonnes) with a biggish rig to keep the costs and handling issues to a manageable amount by one person without electric assistance. And to enable good light airs performance without needing too many fancy sails. The interesting question is how far to push the 8 tonnes out size wise, maybe I could go a wide 45 footer, still weighing 8 tonnes, and get more comfort, trading this for more pounding and a less strongly built boat? or step back to my old 8 tonne 34 footer?
Old 10-01-2015, 19:59   #213
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Even if they tried it's a lie. Those that think so just have neither for a longer period.
I disagree. One can have both speed and comfort at the same time, and on the same boat. The Med is filled with boats fitting this description.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:07   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Speed. Comfort in bad conditions is illusory and gained only in degrees of minuteness. When it is snotty, the only thing that matters is waterline, and any "comfort" you feel from a slow, heavy boat vs. a slowed down speedy boat is splitting hairs.

When it is light, the rolling, pitching and yawing of a slow heavy boat at the mercy of the seas is far more uncomfortable than a steady fast boat adjusted to be more in tune with the seas.

Particularly downwind.

Mark
I agree.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:15   #215
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Even if they tried it's a lie. Those that think so just have neither for a longer period.

I thought Gun Boats were fast, and comfortable. Are they not?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:41   #216

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Why do Disney cruise line? They are comfy and fast.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote