Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 14:20   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Speed Seal. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebee View Post
This seemed an appropriate thread to post this although a bit old.
I've noticed that Speedseal have closed the business (due to continued illness). This is a great shame as a fantastic product is no longer available. Not sure why they didn't sell the business and also not sure if they have any patents etc. that would stop someone else from making a similar product.

Does anyone perhaps know more on this and/or know if there is another option for these products? Or perhaps suppliers with stock. My one is for the Volvo D2-55.

My specific problem is that my existing Speedseal life cover has started wearing at the inner pin and the metal wear plate, causing wear on the recessed area of the plate, going a bit of an oblong shape. It's still working fine but might ultimately be a problem. Anyone else had similar issues? Despite this issue I still love the product and have had 4 years of good use out of it. I would happily spend the money to replace with exactly the same if I could source it.

I was not aware he had closed. Sad to hear this. Mine is still "as new".
I have no info on the English gentleman that produced these,other than what was presented in the magazine articles? & ads when the product first appeared. I believe there was an article in Good Old Boat at that time-but not sure/ Len
Old 06-07-2018, 16:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

(see my post very early in this thread) I really wanted a Speedseal kit for my Perkins 4-108, one of the most widely used engines on older sailboats, i.e. lots of them. I emailed the company and they said that they don't have and will never have a kit for the Perkins. It seemed like a very dismissive "no". I have not tried to contact them since then so don't know if they are still in business. They were very good before when I got one for my Ford Lehman years ago. Very good product. I wish I could get one still.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46   #18

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
(see my post very early in this thread) I really wanted a Speedseal kit for my Perkins 4-108, one of the most widely used engines on older sailboats, i.e. lots of them. I emailed the company and they said that they don't have and will never have a kit for the Perkins. It seemed like a very dismissive "no". I have not tried to contact them since then so don't know if they are still in business. They were very good before when I got one for my Ford Lehman years ago. Very good product. I wish I could get one still.
Had the same response a year ago
Old 07-07-2018, 13:17   #19

Boat: Allures 44

I have come across an excellent thread on sailboat owners forum rom someone who had the same wear problem with the Speedseal life. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...uested.182618/

It seems to me that the most likely cause is that the small difference in cover hole size compared with the screws allows the cover to be mounted slightly off-center. I think the center post is an unnecessary weakness in the design which requires perfect central mounting of the plate.
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote