Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 04:11   #16
X24

Boat: S&S 30 Savage Defiance
Re: Sparkman & Stephens 30 Defiance Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Years ago I owned a Yankee-30, an American S&S 30. Not quite the same boat, so I can't offer personal advice. However, I had some problems with oil-canning near the bow and contacted S&S for help and they provided advice without hesitation. I suspect that they would be a good source of info about your design if not the builder. Couldn't hurt to ask!

Jim
Thanks very much Jim, I will do that.

Chris
X24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 15:01   #17

Back in the mid 70's my father owned one of the Savage Defiance 30's call Lyndal (sail number R65) based at Royal Vic Williamstown. We raced in the 1976 Sydney Hobart and lots of other bay racing in Melbourne. Unfortunately, my father died of cancer a couple of years later and the boat was sold.

I am trying to track down the boat for old times sake - does anyone know where it has ended up? (who knows, might have a more than one name changes since then...)
Phil Coghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 16:35   #18

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Don't know sorry. But a good friend was in Hobart for the Wooden Boat Festival and sent me a photo of the original Defiance that is back to the original colour ( light blue ) and now is kept down there. My son was made on that boat after a 24 day passage 29 years ago.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 16:47   #19

I was at the wooden boat festival and met Craig the owner of the original Defiance - a beautiful timber boat !!
It was this meeting that prompted me to try and track down our old fibreglass S&S Lyndal.
Old 17-02-2019, 17:48   #20

Defiance was a great heavy weather boat. We got hammered off the WA coast but never felt that we were about to die. She is very strong and having a near flush deck made us feel secure.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:48   #21

yes they sure are, your comment brings back memories of sailing from Melb. to Sydney in 1976 in preperation for the Sydney Hobart and we got absolutely smashed with 50+ knot southerly winds for the best part of 2 days..!! And yet the boat handled magnificantly and I too never felt we were about to die.
Old 17-02-2019, 20:42   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dang! I actually helped tie up Defiance in Con Dock last friday as part of the volunteer dock crew. I didn't realize the history of the boat, and (as a previous owner of an American S&S 30) I'd have liked to have a better look had I but known.

Busy at t he time, could have easily gone back. Opportunity missed!

Jim
Old 17-02-2019, 20:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dang! I actually helped tie up Defiance in Con Dock last friday as part of the volunteer dock crew. I didn't realize the history of the boat, and (as a previous owner of an American S&S 30) I'd have liked to have a better look had I but known.

Busy at t he time, could have easily gone back. Opportunity missed!

Jim
Don't worry Jim. She'll be around for a few more years yet. Just like you and Ann. Doug Brooker built her and she had a great racing career.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:34   #24

Boat: Sparkman and Stephens Defiance 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesailer View Post
I think I've got one of the Savage Defiance 30's (1980's boat, one time Sydney to Hobart boat - not 100% sure), currently doing some refurb work (....just got its survey done, new paint, electrics, ropes, batteries) to make a nice bay boat for Melbourne (.....and maybe Bass Strait islands one day - who knows)
BTW does anyone have a sail plan (or any plans) for the S&S30 Defiance - would be handy to have as I talk to sail makers about a new No 1 or try to source on the S/H market. Thanks!
Cyclesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 00:00   #25

I am now part of the club, just bought a circa 1978 Defiance 30. Let the refit begin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	196733  
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 06:56   #26
X24

Boat: S&S 30 Savage Defiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers61 View Post
I am now part of the club, just bought a circa 1978 Defiance 30. Let the refit begin!
Congratulations! I'll be very keen to learn what you have in mind - from what I have seen so far of various interior pictures on yacht sales sites, the general layout of our boat seems to have a lot of similarities, but with a more simplistic level of finish. Our electrical system needs to be completely overhauled, and the ample storage properly fitted out. At present there is a lot of available space that is either inaccessible or simply a place where the contents all converge and collect at the lowest point. The starboard settee in the saloon is reasonably comfortable and I seem to spend quite a bit of time sitting or lying on it fantasising about how the yacht's interior could be improved.

As you say, "let the refit begin!"
X24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 13:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by X24 View Post
Congratulations! I'll be very keen to learn what you have in mind - from what I have seen so far of various interior pictures on yacht sales sites, the general layout of our boat seems to have a lot of similarities, but with a more simplistic level of finish. Our electrical system needs to be completely overhauled, and the ample storage properly fitted out. At present there is a lot of available space that is either inaccessible or simply a place where the contents all converge and collect at the lowest point. The starboard settee in the saloon is reasonably comfortable and I seem to spend quite a bit of time sitting or lying on it fantasising about how the yacht's interior could be improved.

As you say, "let the refit begin!"

A couple of owners ago it appears that they started getting her ready for offshore. Mine has the fitted water tank under the port side saloon plus an extra water bladder aft behind engine and another starboard under the saloon seats.

Have a few projects going on at the moment. In regards to the galley, have ripped out the old portable gas stove and replacing it with a dometic stove and gimbals. I have replaced the galley pump as the other was quite old. Installing low pressure water filters between all the plumbing to the sink. Also need to install new electric pump in the plumbing for electric sink as it is currently not working.

All electrics being replaced with LED lights throughout inside and out. Appears solar and wind gen are working well. Also installing smart battery monitor to track and use power more effectively. Pulling out the middle foldup table, IMHO just not enough room down below. Also pulling up the below deck and replacing that covers all the bilge. Very old and rotten some of the timber. Putting on mast new wireless wind indicators.

I have also plans to get her painted....white...I am not a fan of the red. Also all the cushions need to be replaced with marine vinyl, most are very dated.

I will post pictures as the refit continues.

Since I have bought her, I have had her out for a couple of sails. Nothing more than 10knts, but still....sails very nice for such a old girl....which reminds me, also bought a tiller clutch to be installed, so that I don't always have to use the auto pilot.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:43   #28

Quote:

Since I have bought her, I have had her out for a couple of sails. Nothing more than 10knts, but still....sails very nice for such a old girl....which reminds me, also bought a tiller clutch to be installed, so that I don't always have to use the auto pilot.
You should be very happy with the sailing performance. We used to go past much bigger boats in the original Defiance. Before I bought her we had a 37ft One tonner and could never catch her in Middle Harbour races, although I admit she had a very good skipper and crew !!!
There was a guy that had one in the late eighties with a big rig and he cruised and raced up and down the east coast. Cleaned up a lot of times. That boat was his life.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
You should be very happy with the sailing performance. We used to go past much bigger boats in the original Defiance. Before I bought her we had a 37ft One tonner and could never catch her in Middle Harbour races, although I admit she had a very good skipper and crew !!!
There was a guy that had one in the late eighties with a big rig and he cruised and raced up and down the east coast. Cleaned up a lot of times. That boat was his life.

One thing I did notice when sailing these boats, they feel a little stiff, which is fine by me, even with 10 kts, hardly any heel at all, was very comfortable. Hope that equates into less knock downs when I test her out in some heavy weather. I think she could use a more modern design main sail, so at the moment I am doing research and see what would suit her.
Old 31-07-2019, 17:02   #30

Quote:
One thing I did notice when sailing these boats, they feel a little stiff, which is fine by me, even with 10 kts, hardly any heel at all, was very comfortable. Hope that equates into less knock downs when I test her out in some heavy weather. I think she could use a more modern design main sail, so at the moment I am doing research and see what would suit her.
The faster one I mentioned had a taller bendy rig and was 3/4 rigged. I think he also might have taken the engine out and had an outboard.