Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 17:37   #1

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig
Soooo Many Boats to Choose from...

Dear all, I have been shopping for "my" perfect boat for about a year now, and my shopping time frame is coming to an end. May I have your advice on the list of finalists I have come up with. Feel free to add another option if you want to really mix me up.

I have about 40 years sailing experience, mainly racing ( dinghies at first and on to small keel boats, more recently in International Etchells for the last ten years). I have limited cruising experience, having chartered a dozen times mainly coastal N.E. Canada & US. My spouse (faithfull crew for 30 years) has as much experience as I, and flies a mean kite in up to 25 knts. We have lots of sailboat handling skills, but indeed have much to learn about the cruising life. However we have decided to give it a crack, starting with a 6 month sabbatical in the Bahamas, winter 2011. I wish to by the boat this spring, sail costal as much as possible this summer/fall to get acquainted with the boat and move it down to Fla to get ready for the Bahamas escapade. we will be sailing with our two young children, a boy, 10 and a girl 12, we will home school them.

I have come up with the following conclusions: I would like a 40 to 45 footer, with three cabins (kid's privacy and additional guests option), shoal draft preferable (although I am told anything up to 7' is probably OK), furling main also OK. However, my racing biais knows all about shoal draft and furling mains... OUPS, I forgot, I'm not going racing...

Some interesting boats I am seriously considering are:
  • BENETEAU 423 (200+)
  • JEANNEAU SO 40.3 (2001)
  • JEANNEAU SO DS 43 (a partition in the aft stateroom can be added to make two smaller cabins...) (2001 TO 2005)
  • JEANNEAU SO 45.4 (2001)
  • WAUQUIEZ CENTURION 45 (1993)
  • DUFOUR CLASSIC 45 (1998)
There are hundreds of really nice boats out there, and although its great fun to shop around, I need to find focus and move on to the SAILING part of things... can you help with your wise comments? Please?
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hey pjazz welcome to the forum.
If you use the search function for some of those boats(the google one works best for me) I think you'll find hours of reading.
Good luck with the search.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Even thou your making the transition from racing to cruising, you'll probably still be looking for performance... in a 40 foot range, try looking at boats in the 18 to 24 k range for weight with a performance history.. That will get you into a cruising boat and still offer a some go-fast to the mix..
When we were looking for a boat to go cruising on, we wanted plenty of room below, the proper weight, and performance..
The boat we decided on was the FIRST 38....and it helped to read the books by Andy & Liza Copland who did a 5 year trip around the world on their's
We looked for a couple years for a 38 and couldnt find one.... found a 42 with the same lay-out and in great shap.. havent looked back sence
By the way, I ran across a guy who built a raised cabin and an interior in his "Etchell" and took off for parts unknown...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:05   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

I am afraid no help with your list - but just a welcome aboard anyway
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjazz View Post
Dear all, I have been shopping for "my" perfect boat

All the boats you listed are good boats for someone. Really the only person that can answer the above question is you! But warning; there probably isn't a "perfect" boat for you only a compromise one.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:26   #6

Hands down, the Wauquiez, far and away the best boat on your list. Draft is an issue for you though if the Bahamas are your goal, it is not a problem at all if the Caribbean is the goal.

Have fun and take a few diesel courses. Systems are the bane of all ex racers.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 19:09   #7

Thanks for the replies folks.

I am impressed with the Wauquiez reputation for well built and fast boats. I see the is a strong following in the Prétorien 35 range, that must mean something.

The Centurion 45 I found has had extensive refit between 2003 and now, including a new engine and genset in 2006 (low hours). Honestly, the only thing holding me back is the fact it is a 1993, soon to be 20 years (I'd love to be 20 again!!). But I could get a 2003 Beneteau or Jeanneau for the same money... are they that much different (quality, or what?)
Old 05-03-2010, 19:26   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Some Jeanneau have / had shallow draft keel options. Check them out. They sail very well and there is always the 'performance' option (just taller rig).

The Wauquiez is more difficult to sail short handed than the other boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:37   #9

Our boat is 36 years old and will more then likely outlive me. Refits are a way of life for any boat. There really is nothing that can't be replaced or repaired. A new quality 45 footer will go for $500k, a used quality 45 footer will go for $150k, $350k buys an awfull lot of refits.

More then likely the W45 was built when Henri was still in charge, he was a very good builder.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies folks.

I am impressed with the Wauquiez reputation for well built and fast boats. I see the is a strong following in the Prétorien 35 range, that must mean something.

The Centurion 45 I found has had extensive refit between 2003 and now, including a new engine and genset in 2006 (low hours). Honestly, the only thing holding me back is the fact it is a 1993, soon to be 20 years (I'd love to be 20 again!!). But I could get a 2003 Beneteau or Jeanneau for the same money... are they that much different (quality, or what?)
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 18:22   #10

Ok, next question, re. resale? Regardless of value, are newer boats not more likely to sell off quicker than older ones?

I suppose that boats of equal age/quality will sell off based on having more/better equipment (or refits).

But in general terms, are'nt people looking for the newest boat they can afford?

Which gets me back to my original question: Wauquiez centurion 45 1993 vs Beneteau 423 2005? Roughly same market value...
Old 06-03-2010, 19:21   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
?

Which gets me back to my original question: Wauquiez centurion 45 1993 vs Beneteau 423 2005? Roughly same market value...
G'Day Pjazz,

Don't want to start another Bendytoy slanging fest, but think for a moment just WHY the much older Wauquiez is still worth as much as a much newer Bendy? And then extrapolate the depreciation curve out a few years... what do you thind their relative values might be then?

In my personal experience, it is fiscally sound to buy higher quality older things than new(er) things of somewhat lower overall quality. This practice, for me at least, also brings greater satisfaction of ownership.

All matters of opinion and speculation...

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point NSW Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 18:34   #12

OK Jim, sounds like another vote for the Wauquiez 45... (btw I had'nt ever heard the Bendytoy comment before)

What about Jeanneaus? Anybody care to give me general impressions? I am attracted to the 45.2 and the 43DS. There are a couple '98-'02 45.2s on the market and quite a few early 2000 43DS.

Any comments on these please?