Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 10:46   #16

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Solo south next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
80amp alternator

I agree, your estimates for daily distance are flogged. As you will be if you try to do 75 miles a day.
There's a difference between sailing to get somewhere (delivery) and cruising. Even with double your LWL, redundant autopilots, and a very comfortable boat, I find soloing 75+ miles a day along the coast tiring after a few days -- especially all upwind. I find that if I simply want to get somewhere, I'll go offshore and make 180-200+ miles a day. If I want to cruise/relax/enjoy while coastal cruising it'll be more like 25-50. As long as your plans are flexible, you can make it work - but I suggest you consider what your goals are.

Good luck.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:56   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm gonna bet that what a 12Ga and a 45 won't stop is going to get you, the little .223 hasn't got anything on a 12ga slug
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:14   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

On the ICW i did 40 to 50 miles per day max.
But with all those guns you can clear out anyone slowing you down.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
There's a difference between sailing to get somewhere (delivery) and cruising. Even with double your LWL, redundant autopilots, and a very comfortable boat, I find soloing 75+ miles a day along the coast tiring after a few days -- especially all upwind. I find that if I simply want to get somewhere, I'll go offshore and make 180-200+ miles a day. If I want to cruise/relax/enjoy while coastal cruising it'll be more like 25-50. As long as your plans are flexible, you can make it work - but I suggest you consider what your goals are.

Good luck.
Here's what he said in his OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman.ben View Post
hello
i'm sailing south next week and plan on going coastal doing day trips of no more than 75 miles a day.
Now, I know I live on the West Coast, and even if I had friends who sailed on the East Coast and all of them and I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, NONE of us could manage to arrange inlets at 75 miles along the EAST coast all the way down.

Just sayin' that 75 miles day on AVERAGE may be doable, but if he stays outside all the time (i.e., "coastal") then I fail to see how he could "tuck in" every night.

The inlets in NJ between Sandy Hook and Cape May are reportedly iffy. It's a long way from Cape May to Norfolk "coastal" unless he does the Delaware bay to Chessy route, etc., etc.

What am I missing?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 12:02   #20

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Here's what he said in his OP:

Now, I know I live on the West Coast, and even if I had friends who sailed on the East Coast and all of them and I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, NONE of us could manage to arrange inlets at 75 miles along the EAST coast all the way down.

Just sayin' that 75 miles day on AVERAGE may be doable, but if he stays outside all the time (i.e., "coastal") then I fail to see how he could "tuck in" every night.

The inlets in NJ between Sandy Hook and Cape May are reportedly iffy. It's a long way from Cape May to Norfolk "coastal" unless he does the Delaware bay to Chessy route, etc., etc.

What am I missing?
That's sort of my point. His plan -- stay coastal, whether ICW or not, and cover 75 miles a day -- may not be realistic. If he wants to simply get down there, I suggest going outside and doing it in a few days straight. (Montauk to Norfolk is about 320nm) If he wants to make a pleasant cruise out of it, that may not be 75 miles a day. Ultimately it is his choice and all we can do is advise.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 12:19   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Actually I think we are being too picky, I believe he said up to 75 miles a day, which can be just as easily interpreted to mean less than but no more than 75 miles a day
I only brought up 50 being a nice goal just in case he meant 75 miles a day.

Heck, he could be planning on a 25 mi a day average?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 13:27   #22

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

most days are under 50, one of 74.3, (and that can be broken into two) kinda surprised at how fast it goes from a cool cruise to ocean crossing. right now I have about 22 days sailing to make florida. now that doesn't mean 22 days after I leave i'm in florida, it means that 22 days of sailing and I will be in florida. I plan to spend some time in some spots that my dad said were cool when he did this, as well as seeing my folks in the Carolinas. my time frame is to be back up here for MAY, 2015. (rhode island) and even that is optional. (I think only one person got this) thanks about the alt. belt reply, will be going over the spare parts inventory tomorrow. (with all the other stuff I have been doing, kinda overlooked one of the most important)
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 14:22   #23

aaahhhHHH,The exhuberance of youth !

NO auto-pilot(S) is big mistake coastal or out !
Ammo and firearms-WTF.Sell them and get an auto-pilot or two.
What shape is your motor in? Can it run for 5 hours or more?
Have you had this SV CG/State inspected ? Life vests?
What do you think-this is Captains Courageous ?

Dude,I sorely hope we don't end up reading about you except that you arrive safely!.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:31   #24

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
On the ICW i did 40 to 50 miles per day max.
But with all those guns you can clear out anyone slowing you down.
As well as convincing any recalcitrant bridge tenders to open their bridge NOW!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
That's sort of my point. His plan -- stay coastal, whether ICW or not, and cover 75 miles a day -- may not be realistic. If he wants to simply get down there, I suggest going outside and doing it in a few days straight. (Montauk to Norfolk is about 320nm) If he wants to make a pleasant cruise out of it, that may not be 75 miles a day. Ultimately it is his choice and all we can do is advise.
I know you're planning a leaving "next week" but you might want to make the time to read this one from our ole good buddy Scoobert. Try his blog too funny stuff. In retrospect: Make the time. You'll learn a lot and save us a lot of retyping.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fl-111080.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:43   #26

Boat: csy 37

8'6" Robert August longboard. Since when is 8'6" a longboard?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:57   #27

I thought that the whole idea of cruising was to " get there when you get there......schedules suck.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 08:20   #28

Boat: Hunter 33.5
Re: Solo South Next Week

Dont know about the handgun, every state law is different, permits required/not required, not to mention the Coast Guard having "Customs Authority" and can search your boat.
I'm retired from both municipal law enforcement and the USCGR, you should do research on this before you leave.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 09:52   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This thread is kinda funny. I steer my boat a lot, because I go through a lot of island chains that have all types of obstructions around. Steering gets old. If you really are going solo, then get Otto to help you!
And the guns---pleassse leave them at home. If you are cruising to where you will need them for self defense... you probably need to PM TDH or some other retired CG.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 20:15   #30
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

as far as the guns take them to a friends house or leave them at home.
they will be a rusty mess after a few months, and if you plan on going to the Bahamas im sure they will be more then happy taking them from you and locking you up for a nice ransom.
have fun, glad im not in this trip.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote