Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 02:21   #1

Smaller sailboats

Hi Newby so may mess up .
I was wondering what some people s thoughts are on the H28 fiberglass model. I had one and loved it and looking to buy another ,OR are they just to old. I don't intend doing any offshore sailing although there have been a lot of H28s which have been around the world. Will be used mainly on the east coast of New Zealand North Island I like the full keel and just the solid feel of the boat Impressed me. Any advise Thoughts Etc. Thanks Bernie
Bernie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Smaller sailboats

Bernie are you really a newby or just a newbie at this. My last name is actually newby. As far as the h28 well you have had one and if in good condition are just as good if not better than some of the newer ones my boat is a 1967 islander Bahama new standing rigging and I would put it up against any new boat for safety on a passage. Full keel not the fastest but I for one am not doing any local races with my boat.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:33   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33

H28s are great full keel boats under 30 feet. Are you looking at one made by compass yachts? They are small but very sea worthy. But you know all of that. Hard to beat for the price with the confidence of a good design under you. I personally love the transom hung rudder and the one I sailed in the past was surprising light on her feet, being able to keep steerage with only a few knots of apparent with working sails only. If I wasn't a couple that live aboard full time I would buy one in a heart beat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-08-2015, 11:37   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie10 View Post
Hi Newby so may mess up .
I was wondering what some people s thoughts are on the H28 fiberglass model. I had one and loved it and looking to buy another ,OR are they just to old. I don't intend doing any offshore sailing although there have been a lot of H28s which have been around the world. Will be used mainly on the east coast of New Zealand North Island I like the full keel and just the solid feel of the boat Impressed me. Any advise Thoughts Etc. Thanks Bernie
Great boat. I almost bought an old wood model back in the 80s. I should have. It was restored to perfect.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:58   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

If you can get a good condition H28, get it. Plenty of fun for very little money. You will be able to sail anywhere in NZ and beyond.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 13:27   #6

Hi Newhaul I am a newby at this and the reason for this post is im the only sail person in my crowd an take a bit of ribbing about mu H28 fettish and just wanted some input from people who have more clues than my mates. Cheers
Old 09-08-2015, 13:36   #7

Ahh Showing my lack of computer skills here Thanks to everyone it sounds like my feelings are correct My mates are wrong My H was a Compass which means it is about 19'6" and for ease of Maintainence is what I will buy again.Cheers
Old 09-08-2015, 13:39   #8

Sorry 29'6"
Old 09-08-2015, 15:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bernie just throw it back at them and ask to compare a seasons fuel bill with them LOL
Old 09-08-2015, 18:45   #10

Hi Newhaul Good Idea but I have a Seanymph stinger 506 with a 120 hp Johnson on the back they and I know how much that costs, Cheers
Old 09-08-2015, 19:18   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm talk in about the rag bag not a darn smudge pot lol
Old 09-08-2015, 21:50   #12

Bernie, I link below to an awesome book written by a guy who is a better sailor than you will ever meet on this forum. He is also out there right now doing it again on a Moore 24.

Think big thoughts. Try to stay safe. The whole world is out there waiting for you. Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a..._OPEN_BOAT.pdf
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:09   #13

Hi Bernie. My father bought an H28 in the mid 70's and our whole family learned to sail on her. Many happy memories and a few "war stories" that we still reminisce over. It was GRP built by Compass Yachts. Solid as, and very forgiving for newbies. Downside was poor windward performance which is not unexpected for a long keel boat. For that vintage of boat you should check for osmosis (ours had a bit that was repaired).
When I lived in London I came across an NZ H28 moored on the Thames. Kiwi couple were doing a circumnavigation on her. Goes to show what is possible!
Regards
SR

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sails Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:03   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Adequate upwind performance can be had when sails are good shape and the hull is clean. And not sailing her on the ear. You can go one step further and get a Kiwiprop. Etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Bernie, I link below to an awesome book written by a guy who is a better sailor than you will ever meet on this forum. He is also out there right now doing it again on a Moore 24.

Think big thoughts. Try to stay safe. The whole world is out there waiting for you. Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a..._OPEN_BOAT.pdf
Hi Delancy Just read the story he has bigger fruit than me, But what a keen bloke Me Im getting to old and figure if I can get a few years Sailing Coastal I will be happy

Tags
sail, sailboat