Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 09:32   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Smaller Bluewater Cruising Monos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Vancouver 27 designed by Robert Harris. Some are streched to 29' Choice on plans showed two modles. You can also read the book Travels in/with Cathleen. By Donald ? Great small design and I've seen them for not a ton of money.
There's a bigger market for them in the UK, typically fewer for sale in the states. First built in Vancouver and then most notably by Pheon Yachts in the UK. UK builds have a bit more tumblehome to make stiffer. There was a V27 and V28. V28 had an extra foot added to the cockpit and are still being built in the UK by Northshore. There is also a V25 (Taiwan) and V32 (UK).

They are great, rugged boats and proven world-cruisers. From what I understand, the Pheon-builds were to the highest craftsmanship standards along the production line, with Northshores being a close second.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 09:44   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
To answer the question whether or not you want to sail across the pacific in a small sail boat, you need to buy a months supply of non-perishable goods, lock yourself in your bed room closet for 30 days without TV, Internet or phone.

If you can manage that, then Add rolling, storms and relying on yourself to not panic and no-one else around. Then go for it. I'd prefer a larger vessel just so I could stretch my legs a little and have a change of scenery even if that's just a different room to look at for a few hours.
yes it would be more like survival than cruising. the bigger vessel would be more work to handle but it can better accommodate solar panels and below deck auto pilot and good supple of food and water and gear.
Old 18-08-2014, 10:52   #18

Boat: Spacesailer 20

I'm particularly fond of the Westsail 32. It's look is the style I prefer and its build seems quite sturdy. I just don't think I can afford this boat.

The Albin Vega is definitely an option. Though not entirely indestructible, they seem tough and inexpensive. As the time approaches, we will see.

As far as being confined to a small area while moving and having little to no outside contact for a great period of the time and While a test of endurance of locking myself in a room with provisions sounds entirely delightful and reasonable, the point is understood. I have other life experiences that have helped me prepare for this aspect if the journey.

The longest passage is the first one and I understand the pitfalls. As far as electricity production, I think solar is only one of the way to produce power. There are a couple of other manners of power production that are available and should be enough to keep the batteries up enough to have at least daily text communications.

Have any of you who have posted already done this passage? I think a boat of 27-35 feet would require about 32-40 days for this passage is that about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-08-2014, 10:56   #19

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Daily text? With whom? There are no cell phones out there.

If you are a ham, you could do HF packet radio when those ducts open, but that's not very reliable and you'd burn a lot of power just trying to find a QSO to a base that has a digipeater.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 11:27   #20

Boat: Spacesailer 20

There are a variety of ways to send text only messaging. Through packet radio. Also using satellite. I am very aware that there are no 'cellphones'.

This form of communication is quite common now and in the time frame I'm expecting to head out, I expect it to be even more-so.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-08-2014, 11:29   #21

Satellite is expensive
Old 18-08-2014, 12:02   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
I'm particularly fond of the Westsail 32. It's look is the style I prefer and its build seems quite sturdy. I just don't think I can afford this boat.
For a budget of $50K you should be able to find a decent W32 including cost to prep the boat. Take a look at this one.

CLEMENTIA II - W32

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
Have any of you who have posted already done this passage? I think a boat of 27-35 feet would require about 32-40 days for this passage is that about right?
Rule of thumb for a boat around 30' is 100 nm/day average on a long passage. 27' might be a bit less 35' or so might average a bit more.

Once you hit the trades if it's not an El Niño year and the winds are steady and with a bit of current helping you might do a good bit better.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 12:08   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

By the way, on the W32s be careful and do a good survey if you find one you like. After 49 years some of the boats have some serious structural problems, mainly rotten decks in the boats with teak decks over plywood.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 12:11   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

I own a Wauquiez Gladiteur. IT is 32'10" It would be a great boat for a couple to sail. It was designed by HOlman Pye and sails really well. I think that if you are looking at a boat that size you would want one with very good sailing characteristics especially for light winds. This boat likes both heavy air and light winds. I have outsailed some heavier longer boats. it has a fin keel with a spade rudder which is a nice compromise to a full keel boat. It tracks very well and I had it out in a Gale this summer and the boat tracked really well with a Tiller pilot and balanced sail plan. Easy to maintain and not that many systems but still comfortable and sea kindly. If you were looking for one in Europe I would offer to sell you mine.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:26   #25

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
it has a fin keel with a spade rudder which is a nice compromise to a full keel boat.
The gladiateur may be a wonderful boat, but a fin keel with a spade rudder is nothing like a full keel boat. You and thousands of others may love spade rudders but I and thousands of others don't think they belong on a cruising boat.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:31   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Vancouver 27 designed by Robert Harris. Some are streched to 29' Choice on plans showed two modles. You can also read the book Travels in/with Cathleen. By Donald ? Great small design and I've seen them for not a ton of money.
Second the Vancouver 27, The English built ones are very well constructed and have a lot of carrying capacity and living space for a boat that length.

FWIW, built and lived aboard and cruised a Westsail 32 for 4 years. Had all the living space and storage capacity that we needed. Can't imagine what I'd do with more living space though a longer water line for speed has some merits. The only thing you get in a bigger boat is bigger headaches and space to store non essential toys and unwanted guests.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:36   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

deanowens1966,

Firstly, I'd suggest a West Coast departure point, mostly because of the way the various hurricane seasons work. I'm certain, with the WC departure, you can avoid all that, unless there are early cyclones in the Western Pacific. The whole trip avoids the high latitudes and therefore you are unlikely to ever see survival situations, unless there's an out of season cyclone. The earliest one we've experienced was in the latter half of October.

In our early days, Jim and I sailed a Yankee 30 (an S & S design) from San Francisco to Oahu, and return, so I discount the post above that suggested it is like survival. We did use celestial navigation. It is, in the sense that one survives it, but there are going to be a mix of sailing days, some rough, some delightful.

My suggestions for you as so vessel, well, I'd rather do it in the V 27 than the W 32, but if you can find an S & S 30, that would be fine, too.

Also, suggest you have a nice, thoughtful peruse of the $500 per month thread, because keeping it really simple and non power hungry will aid you tremendously. (Celestial does not require as much power as a chartplotter...so don't let people talk you into more fancy stuff than you want.

For self steering, I suggest Letcher's book: Self-Steering for Small Boats. Lots of good ideas there. [windvanes don't use electricity, do an adequate job of steering the boat, and they are silent.]

I do think your project is doable and not awful. Others will suggest that under 30 is too small. You decide. Not the rest of us.

Ann
Old 18-08-2014, 14:50   #28

My only concern is spending so much time in such tight quarters. I just wouldn't want to
Old 18-08-2014, 15:08   #29

There are so many small boats capable of that sort of trip, that you could spend much time choosing. I did the SF, Mexico, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Tahiti, Hawaii, in a Contessa 26 with 2 people. Mexico to the Marqueasas was a 110mile/day average, and the trip from the Tuamotus to Hawaii averaged 90miles/day even counting 2 days of almost no forward progress. Dont even consider a boat that you cant put a reliable windvane on. If you depend on an auto pilot, and your electrics pack up (which is common) you will learn a whole new definition of fatigue. The less doodads you have on a boat, the less there is to go wrong. I have done many passages since, in larger boats, but I look back at the little Contessa as the best cruising I ever had. I must admit that after 2 years with no engine, no electronics other than a mast head tricolor, and full crouching headroom, I wanted a bigger boat, but it was a wonderful cruise. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 22:00   #30

Boat: O'day 27

Some of the best blue-water cruisers from 20 to 32 feet
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, water