Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 08:11   #1

Boat: Tayana 47
Slippery Steps Solution

I have a center cockpit Tayana 47 and that means that there are 5 steps to get up into the cockpit. On my boat, the steps are just straight across, about 16" wide by 8" deep with a slightly raised 1/4" wide strip of holly (or some other white hardwood) about 1" back from the front of each step and with rounded off fronts to each tread. When I got the boat the steps looked great because they were well varnished, but they are also quite slippery and I don't want anyone getting hurt. So, I'm trying to decide what to do that would make footing more secure.

I've used varnish with sand in it before and it worked for awhile but is a pain to renew when needed so I'm thinking I'd like to try something different, but have not entirely ruled out the sand in varnish approach.

One solution I'm considering is to simply sand the varnish off the tops of each teak tread and go au naturale. Bare teak is certainly less slippery than varnished teak and with my electric sander it would be pretty easy to do. I'd leave a 1" strip along the side edges of each tread varnished, along with the upright parts.

I'm also considering using those Treadmaster pre-cut, self adhesive pieces on each step, but with the raised holly strip about 1" back, if I place the Treadmaster just behind each strip, the front 1" of each tread will still be slippery varnish, and that's where your feet tend to go when in a hurry. I've also considered sanding off the raised strip and then using the self adhesive 16"X7" Treadmaster and wrapping it tightly around the front of the tread with a couple of screws with finish washers through it up into the bottom of the tread, so the front of the tread and the first 5" of the top of each tread would be covered. But I've never worked with Treadmaster before and I'm not sure if you can tightly wrap it around the rounded front of a 1" thick stair tread, or if it would hold up well right at the point where it bends and is always being stepped on.

What do those of you who are familiar with Treadmaster think?
Any other possible solutions I'm missing, especially from others with center cockpit boats who have dealt with this same situation?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Slippery Steps Solution

While I admire the look of nice wood steps on a ladder or stairs, I know how important it is to have secure footing when going below in a gale with wet footwear, water streaming off my foulies, and in the dark into a pitching and heeled boat. Any wrong step meant certain pain.

Slippery surfaces are a big hindrance to effectively working a boat and can be dangerous.

So….my preference is for function. Falling down a ladder is no fun and likely very dangerous in heavy weather conditions. It could be disabling to have a fall like that.

So, I would make the steps as "sticky" and secure as possible. Treadmaster would be my choice. I would put Treadmaster in those places where I MUST have secure footing. The old saying "An ounce of prevention…" comes to mind.

One thing: I would use a color that fits the look of the boat interior. I have seen some tread master put on boats that looks awful (IMO) because of color choices, but of course that is a matter of taste.

I hope this comment helps you.

Also the Tayana 47 is a lovely boat. I admired one I went on in SF years ago as it made such a nice impression of quality and styling.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:48   #3

Treadmaster. sand the holly or put a 1" strip in font also. As you said that first inch or two is the slippery part.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:03   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

First, plane the white wood off, flush. Also the large radius on the corner of the tread is a hindrance. So planing some wood off the vertical edge would help. Sand or walnut shells in varnish does pretty well for nonskid. Wrapping Treadmaster around the edge will look like a DIY job.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I sliped several times on mine and actually broke my tailbone on the corner of the sink so here's what I did. No more slipping NOW!

See my blog for full details....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	86484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0813.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	86485  

Old 12-08-2014, 11:37   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

JT,
There's nothing like Treadmaster for security. The self adhesive pads are the easiest to install. Highly recommended. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Our steps have a protruding lip on the fore facing edge.

Otherwise nearly the whole area of the step is covered in treadmaster like rubber. (Ours may be actually TBS).

Seem to work very well for us.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:42   #8

Boat: Tayana 47

Thanks, all very useful comments! As was pointed out, wrapping Treadmaster around the front will look amateurish so I now think my best and easiest option is to plane and sand the raised holly strip down to flush, and then cover the horizontal surface as completely as possible with Treadmaster. I think that natural teak left unfinished would look better, but someone could really get hurt so I want the steps to be as grippy as possible and as far as I can tell, that means Treadmaster is a better solution than just teak.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:08   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

I installed the Treadmaster treads on my companionway steps and they are awesome. Very grippy, easy to clean, easy to install.

I have a bullnose edge on the front of the steps and I simply positioned the treads about 1/8" behind where the radius meets the flat part of the step. I put it there so that a) it looked "right" and not kludged" and b) so you would not catch your foot on the edge of the treads. I've had no problems with the treads not coming forward enough, or wear along the bullnose profile. In fact, putting the tread material all the way around the bullnose could well lead to tripping or catching your feet or material on them.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 13:13   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have a beautiful shiny varnished teakwood ladder with strips of nonskid sticky backed stuff glued onto the varnish. works well. looks decent.

teakwood without finish is a beautiful natural non skid. should be used more often. if mine had not been already corrupted with varnish, i would have natural interior.
isnt expensive, either, as ye dont have to buy stuff to do the teak with..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 14:14   #11

Boat: csy 37

Don't know if I agree with Zee on this. My bare teak steps didn't stop me or the admiral from taking serious slippery falls. Treadmaster did (does).
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 14:54   #12

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Our Bristol 45.5 CC has fairly steep steps and they had the 3M safety tape on them (black). I replaced with the clear stuff but never was satisfied, with look or performance.

We varnished the steps and and sprinkled the Interlux non-skid into the wet varnish. Another coat of varnish was added as you would scrape your calf going down the ladder. This was aesthetically unappealing as the non-skid was very white. Another coat of varnish was applied this time with stain added to the varnish for color, and it looks great and provides very secure and durable footing. The non-skid blends in and is a textured varnish gloss look.
S/V Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:01   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There are other versions of treadmaster rather than the diamond pattern which is crap to walk on with bare feet. One of the other patterns might be a better choice. The other option is the non slip commercial step stuff, looks like emery paper and sticky backed in strips.

ANTI SLIP TAPE HIGH GRIP ADHESIVE BACKED NON SLIP TAPE | eBay

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:17   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

first--were the bare wood steps actually bare or were they varnished bare....
mine have the pre-stickified strips which came with boat.... they work. they ugly but functional.
as my varnished coatings remove selves i am not revarnishing under any circumstances. i prefer the unfinished wood, as it is actually not slippery until it is varnished. then it is merely gorgeous and totally non functional .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:21   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

You could always add crushed walnut shells to the varnish if you want to keep the look. Its easier to refinish than sand and extremely grippy. It is available in several different grits as well.