Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2020, 19:35   #1

sleep while sailboat heels

Hi All,
Need advice on how to temporally modify a king size bed to bunk configuration that will allow comfortable sleeping when the boat heels.
thanks
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 21:45   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: sleep while sailboat heels

Have some Rum and you'll sleep like a baby... the more the boat heels, the better you'll sleep
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 22:40   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Sleep on the settees and rig a Lee cloth. Not your question but was my answer for my boat. Could be for yours.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 00:59   #4

Boat: last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

On my Dix43 I had a big aft cabin/office with king size bed. I never slept there when at sea, but always in the so called 'pilot bunk' in the salon, with a lee cloth.
Old 25-10-2020, 01:40   #5

I actually don't understand your question... converting a **king-sized** bed to a bunk?

Aside from my confusion, I'll just add my voice to pilot berth + lee cloth in the main cabin or quarterberth are best places for sleeping on passage when the boat is heeled.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 02:05   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Our bed was large enough to sleep one person at any point on the compass. Since one of us would be on watch, the other would sleep with their head on the high side. "King-sized" might not need a conversion.
Old 25-10-2020, 03:36   #7

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

this sort of thing is not a problem for us, but back in the day when we sailed monos, i recall seeing large (queen / king) where the mattress was split in 2 (maybe 2 singles ??) and a lee cloth could be brought up inbetween

otherwise, sleep athwartship as others have suggested

cheers,
Old 25-10-2020, 08:12   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

another vote for this!
bill

I'll just add my voice to pilot berth + lee cloth in the main cabin or quarterberth are best places for sleeping on passage when the boat is heeled.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:23   #9

On my schooner the main owners berth was larger than a king size berth. Hundred upon hundred Sea days. No need for a small berth, just sleep with feet up or feet down. I always slept with feet up. Feel more refreshed when you get up. You can lay in the berth 360 degrees. Never a need for a quarter berth with cloth.
Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:33   #10

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Hi All,
Need advice on how to temporally modify a king size bed to bunk configuration that will allow comfortable sleeping when the boat heels.
thanks
You can put extra cushions/pillows/sheets on the windward side on your kind bed to keep you braced on the leeward side.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:44   #11
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

No suggestions if its an island berth. However if its Pullman like with one side against the hull as is ours its relatively easy to mount a 1" x 12" board between two vertical trim pieces making a slot to hold it firmly in places. We mounted it center line to split the bunk.
We used this on several Bermuda races and it formed a very stable comfortable bunk even with extreme angles of heel.
After we quit racing we took the board off the boat
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:59   #12

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Make a matress cover that has a vertical band / flap down the middle. Fold up and suspend the panel when a leecloth is needed to divide up the bed. Fold down and cover it with other bed clothes when not needed.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 10:37   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

King Sized will be problematic. Proper sea berths are narrow, fore-aft oriented, with a lee-cloth/lee-board. Comfy secure sleeping when heeled.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 11:57   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Hi All,
thanks
You can have the mattress cut and recovered, and put a "Bundling Board" between the halves, or even build one which goes on top of the mattress however even half (38") of an actual king size bed will be too wide for use under sail if the boat is heeled or the waves are rocking it. Most people have to tense their muscles to stay in place which makes for less than relaxing sleeping.

Good sea berths should be roughly 20" wide with a 10" lee cloth so you fit snugly, fore and aft orientation, and preferably in the middle of the boat (the ends of the boat have more motion), and one on each side of the boat for use on either tack. In our main solon we have four, two on either side.

Too many interior layouts don't provide good sea berths.
Old 25-10-2020, 14:45   #15

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

There are a few better-built yachts with Gimbaled Beds. However, perhaps a Hammock might do the trick, or just have large extra Pillows to prop yourself on the downward side of the bed, or a good wife to prop yourself up against? But if ya sleepy enough the heel of the boat will not even be noticed. During the Vietnam war, I sat on a Five Inch Thirty-Eight Gun Mount for up to three and four days sleeping sitting up with my hands on the Trainer Leaver. It's all about making do the best you can with what you have been dealt. Senior Chief Moanbac, U.S. Navy, Retired
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat