Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 20:12   #16

Boat: Skookum
Re: Skookum 53

Mahalo, actually I was blessed to be put in direct contact with Julian, Sue and Bernie. Had great conversations and Bernie is quite the character... wow he has a wealth of knowledge and wisdom.

I greatly appreciate the greater Skookum family from Port Townsend and beyond. Doug who worked for them was epic as well on the phone. Nice esp. these days to encounter that small town family style and friendliness.

Send your support and blessings to Julian and Bernie who recently underwent some surgeries. Hope the down time will be fun time and wish full recovery to both!
pacificwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:39   #17

Boat: Skookum 53'

Well I finally got back to town, been a long hitch in Nigeria. I'll be working away on Rose getting her ready for a new life of more adventures. Hopefully I'll get the repower done this time and I can sail her back to Sitka and re-embark on the trolling salmon thing as well as exploring the Albacore fishery off the coast of California.
Old 15-09-2011, 01:45   #18

Boat: skookum 53, CUTTER

I own the skookum 53 windsong, originally pentimento, hull built in port townsend, then finsihed by ceceil lang, in his yard, custom built, all teck inside, the boat is actually for sale by charlotte schmidt in oxnard, our boat is now in panama on the way to the BVI this winter, w are looking for a bigger boat to expand the family.
let me know if interested, sywindsong at live.com
sywindsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 17:52   #19

Well the end of another not enough time off. I was able to revamp the fuel system and make some order out of chaos. However no time for photos. It did come out clean and neat. Got the genset restarted and running like a champ after 2 years of sitting. Only hiccup was a fuel/air leak in one of the manifolds that was made when I asked the local hydraulic shop to drill and tap a 1/4" hole so I could mount a vaccum gage to determine when the filters were getting clogged. New on order but will not get here until after I go back to work. I have a good engineer pulling the old 471 out and putting the Isuzu in, it is now officially his headache. Everyone be good to each other and I'll touch base when I can.
Old 20-10-2011, 11:12   #20

Boat: Leopard 47 Catamaran

The Aysha Nour née Silver Moon made her first foray offshore last Saturday.

We sailed out of Little River, SC for a 30 mile run offshore. The best speed shown was 7.5 knts in 15-18 knts wind at 90 degrees apparent. The little ship handled the 3-5 foot chop without hesitation.

All in all I was impressed with her handling as a sail boat given her motor sailer design.

Now for the Islands.
jim767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:38   #21

Skookum hulls slide through the water very nicely. We once sailed side by side with a Morgan O/I 41, on a Skookum 47, to the south pacific, the logic before we left was that the Morgan would out sail us due the light airs and the other vessel being a lot lighter than us. Quite the opposite happened, during the crossing we had to douse sails a couple of times just to maintain a visual. On the return run we out sailed a 2nd place finisher in the Vancouver / Maui race by 2 days. This was 1977 / 78, after the year in the south pacific, there was no other vessel for me.
Old 20-10-2011, 15:02   #22

glad to hear she is out and about. how did the refit go? I bet she looks brand new!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 04:11   #23

Boat: Skookum 53

I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I own a Skookum 53 called Persistence, which was orginally called Pleades and built for Eric Schutte of San Francisco in 1976.

I'm trying to find out the name of the company that manufactured the orginal mast, so that I can hopefully identify what section of mast was used.

Can anyone 'shed any light' on this please?

Many thanks in advance.
npf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 10:04   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum npf1
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 14:17   #25

Boat: skookum 47
Send a message via Skype™ to cameraman

just got Skookum 47 Dawn Treader, in St, Thomas.will love to hear from people who know her.
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 09:02   #26

Boat: skookum 53, CUTTER

Hi

My boat Windsong, skookum 53, is presently in fort lauderdale, for sale, visit by appointment, one of the best skookum 53 on the market today,

regards
954 303 4609
sywindsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 21:53   #27

Boat: Skookum 53

Hello Joyce of Skookum J. It looks like I will be joining the family. We are in the final process of clearing title to purchase the "Metric G" that was built as a recreational vessel. The haul was completed in 1977 and she was launched in 1981. The boat was renamed by the first owner to "Phoenix Raising". I was wondering if you recall anything about the vessel.

The second owners purchased the boat in 1992 after the first owner passed away. They have been keeping her well maintained and outfitted until early this year when the second owner's husband passed away.

My wife and I have completed the sea trial and survey and are getting bottom paint, seized through hole fittings and zinc fixed while she is out. Overall, she survey in very good condition.

we are hoping to get to know other Skookum family and possibly enjoy meeting others.
Gordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 22:17   #28

Welcome to the forum npf1, sorry I can't help you with information regarding your mast, we are always happy to have new Skookum people, here.
Old 21-10-2012, 22:27   #29
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Anyone here know anything about the Skookum Queen? We totally rebuilt her probably sometime around '98 (my memory fails me). Her owner was elderly and had us remove the entire rig, build a fly bridge, roll stabilize her, new tanks, etc. etc. etc. Basically turned her into a trawler. It cost an absolute fortune and we did some really nice work on her, although I didn't agree with the general concept. The owner just really loved his boat and couldn't see selling her, but felt he couldn't sail her anymore either. Anyone seen her? Probably still in the PNW somewhere, would be an unmistakable vessel. I'd love to see how she looks now.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:40   #30

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

npf1,
Not sure if I have the same mast on Skookum John as you do. I had the local rigger in Anacortes look at it, and he recognized the builder who is no longer in business (typical). There was a father & son involvement, with the father designing the mast and the son designing the boom. The father went down on the Edmund Fitzgerald when it sank in Lake Superior (the one in the Gordon Lightfoot song).
Billr
billr is offline   Reply With Quote