Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 22:08   #1

Skookum 40 - William Garden Design

i have a boat that i cant find any info on . i have drawings letters and a few bits of history but i dont have a clear picture of where she was born. here is the story as i understand it please help me if you know anything about this boat its hull and lines is buy william garden the arcetect is andreas david dehazy built buy and for the owner of thompson yachts in bc or evrett wa . she is 40-7 on deck the drawings say she is 39-9 its a flush deck pilot house full head hight thoughout the boat it has a fat tall aft cabin my email is carlhunguss at hot mail please contact me if you know anything about this boat . thanks guys
Attached Images

carlhunguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 22:30   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
There is another member on here that has a 53' Scookum (billr) and another member that has been around them (oldYachtie). http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fit-11155.html
Old 12-11-2010, 09:13   #3

not a skookum

my boat isnt a skookum though . its was built by tompson yachts ? i have been told that the Scookum has plank lines in there molds . mine dose not . it is way over built the fiberglass is 1 3/8 thick at the top 2" on my though hull solid fiberglass . its custom . has to be . no one of sound mental condition would build a boat that thick . 29,000 as she sits with nothing inside . thank you for the reply i know im in the right place to get some answers thanks guys !!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 17:44   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Humm! It looks like one of the boats that sits off of Hwy 509 in Seattle. I've been eyeing that one for a while.
Old 12-11-2010, 18:55   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'
I don't believe it is a Skookum, they do have the plank lines in the mold, but she is a very fine looking design. I would be willing to wager a fair amount that she would sail very nicely. The entry on the bow is different, I likes the look of her though (Don't nobody tell my Rose, I said that!).
Old 13-11-2010, 15:13   #6

yes it dose sit in seattle on 509 thanks for the conversation you guys im excited and want badly to finish her . im just shor of money . what do you guys think a clean low hr volvo md29 a is worth im thinking fo repowering befor i drop her in the water
Old 27-09-2011, 20:48   #7

Re: Skookum 40 - William Garden Design

ok so i have started the process of rigging her . this im sure will stir some debate . im going with a mast aft rig . the mast is 40' and im mounting it just over the bulkhead that divides the aft cabin . right where the poop deck starts . i like saying that . anyway my for stay is 50' long j or foot length on the jib sheet is 40 its 35 ft to mast . im going to get on the other computer later and try to upload my drawing with the scanner . im looking for some one to accurately dissect my work so i dont have to do it twice . harsh criticism is welcome as long as its factual . no they says im tierd of that . i have the center of lateral resistance and center of superposed effort from my new sail plan i have no way to knwo what its like with a 30 degree heel but a little lee helm in lite wind will be fine and weather helm when its crappy is what i shot for thanks
Old 27-09-2011, 20:55   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wondering how it could be a garden design when it clearly says it is designed by andrew david hazy.....and sail plan is cutter. just curious.....also says seattle washington........owner mr bob thompson.....didnt say wm garden designed her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 18:16   #9

hull and lines by william garden dehazy is the architect . i found the original garden catalog number #441 . still no opinions of a mast aft rig?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skookum rig.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	33204   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0015.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	33205  

Old 02-11-2011, 18:27   #10

the lead is aft from the original location . and im a weather helm kinda guy. center of lateral resistance is center of the pilot house
Old 02-11-2011, 19:04   #11

Boat: Custom

The only thing I would say about the aft rig is the resale issue, she will look, um, "different".

Things that are "different" are harder to sell, therefore a smaller market, therefore a lower price.

Not saying its wrong, just a thought

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 20:37   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I wont get into my opinion on mast aft rigs, as I have no personal experience, but it seems to me that if you are set on a mast aft configuration you might consider a delta rig instead of a traditional stick with it's own sail, as in the drawing.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think you are making a mistake and here is why. You want your boat to balance with just about any sail combination you have up. I can balance my cutter with mainsail, staysail, mainsail-jib, reefed main-staysail, reefed main, stormsail, etc. Your pilothouse will already cause your center of effort to be aft. If you put your sails back there, everytime a gust of wind picks up you will head toward the wind.
Last week just outside of Anacortes, I was on a broad reach on a narrow sea between two cliffs. The wind changed suddenly, and with increased force. If I would have had your rig, I would have gone straight into the cliffs, were no amount of fiberglass would have saved me. Since it was 43 degrees outside, the water was in the 40s, and there was no other boats in sight- well you get the picture. Because the center of effort was close to the center of resistance which was close to the mast, I was able to depower quickly by pivoting my main around my mast, and rolling my jib (with the sailsail up ) balanced the rig. What could have been a disaster was quickly handled, even though I was soloing.
With too large jibs you could balance the rig I suppose, but I would hate to try and manage your rig with shifting winds or on mainsail alone.
Lets just say, for arguments sake, that you were out there in 20 knot winds and one jib up for balanced sailing. The wind starts gusting to 30 and 35 knots (common around the Salish Sea) How are you going to depower quickly until you can retrim to the new conditions? Let the sail flap? Bring the jib in? Reducing a jib that size takes a little time, even if you are roller-furling. Now what if the wind changes directions and gusts? The large jib balloons and the many hundreds of pounds of pressure on your winches prevents you from doing anything but letting it out. If soloing this is often at great risk to your hands and self. And you have a flapping runaway jib with no way to get under control except to reverse course and roll in.
Two last points:
A partially furled jib is not an effective airfoil unless it has been cut that way with some reinforcement in the middle of the sail (read $$$).
A flapping jib wears out very quickly.
Just food for though my friend.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Nice looking boat.

As far as the rig I too think you are making a mistake.

1. A mainsail is easier to handle than a jib, easier to reef as well.

2. I think you will have way more weather helm than you need or want.

3. To get a tight forestay there will be a tremendous amount of compression from the backstay at the angle it is at. I also guess you will not use the main for going downwind as with that staying you are not able to let it out far enough.

I would go with a conventional cutter rig - common because it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	33229  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:13   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i think adding a yawl-type mizzen might be a better idea--will reduce weather helm and add to tracking and balance and ease of handling in bigger winds. or just leave as is and deal with it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote