Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 22:51   #1

Singlehanded Boat for the world

What sort of boat would be the best for sailing around the world by myself in the Southern Ocean
I know s&s 34's are what would be your first choice but what else is there??

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
aussie_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 21:01   #2

Re: Singlehanded Boat for the world

Here is a link to folks that have sailed the planet and the types of boats they did it in.

http://www.latitude38.com/features/c...l#.VVQdglJHbCQ

Bon voyage!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fungod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:58   #3

Just finished reading "Maiden Voyage" by Tania Aebi who did it in a Contessa 26. I bought the book because I recently bought a Contessa 26 myself.
IIRC both Jesse Martin and Jessica Watson used an S&S 34 for their Southern Ocean circumnavigations. Great boats, spacious for one.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:14   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Just finished reading "Maiden Voyage" by Tania Aebi who did it in a Contessa 26. I bought the book because I recently bought a Contessa 26 myself.
IIRC both Jesse Martin and Jessica Watson used an S&S 34 for their Southern Ocean circumnavigations. Great boats, spacious for one.
There is a Contessa 26 nearby that I go and look at once in a while. That is one small boat to be on for a RTW Voyage! This one has a monitor windvane also.

It appears strong and well build but quite small. Must take some getting used to.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:18   #5

you leave the market open when you say "around the world single handed" if money is no object a Sundeer 64 would be my choice,,I sail my 42 often by myself.. just depends on how you rig it..
FastCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:18   #6
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I had a contessa 26, loved her, sailed her everywhere, but it would not be my first choice for a SSRTW. I've also seen her boat and know the troubles it inherently contained and what she went through. Folkboats are wonderful, sailing heaven, but compared to others out there, not my first choice, not even close. bad storage. cheap construction. get a bigger boat.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_sailor View Post
What sort of boat would be the best for sailing around the world by myself in the Southern Ocean
I know s&s 34's are what would be your first choice but what else is there??

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I think it is a valid question, and an interesting one to think about. I am sure many sailors have considered it.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to further the discussion and to possibly help you or others with a different POV regarding the topic.

I think to be fair and to get a better response and suggestions, it is most important to answer a few questions about yourself first.

This is not directed solely to you. I would ask these questions of ANYONE who wants to get suggestions or advice about picking a boat for such a voyage. In fact, I ask MYSELF those same questions.

IF you answer those in public (on the forum) then I think it will help others give you suggestions based upon fitting the boat to the sailor, rather than supposition and suggestions of boats that may not fit you, your goals, your budget, your abilities.

Why?
Because otherwise you or others will make poor assumptions. For example, in your opening remarks you wrote: "I know s&s 34's are what would be your first choice…" No, that would not be my first choice. So, already we are on two different tacks.

Steady Hand's Questions to Ask Yourself BEFORE You Pick Your Boat for Sailing Around the World Alone:

1. What is your sailing skill level? Are you an expert sailor?

2. What experience do you have in sailing alone? In the ocean?

3. What experience do you have sailing alone far offshore over multiple days and nights?

4. What budget do you have? Is money tight and very limited? Or will money be no problem because you have large financial resources?

5. Do you prefer to "play it safe" or "like to take risks?"

6. Is getting around slowly OK? Or would you prefer to do it as quickly as possible?

7. Trying to set some kind of record? What kind?

8. Will you stop on the Circumnavigation, or will you go non-stop?

9. Will this be financed solely from your own funds, or will you feel the pressure to deliver to some expectations made by sponsors?

10. Will you be using a "shore support staff" who provide you with constant services or will you be doing this entirely on your own depending solely on your own skills (weather, navigation, repair, provisioning, etc.)?

11. Are you young, fit, strong, healthy? Or are you old, physically challenged, not as strong as you used to be? Some people who dream of doing a circumnavigation are 14, some are 40 and some others are 70+ years old. Which are you?

12. Will you be going around the "right way" or the "wrong way?"

Answer those questions here in the forum, and I think you will get much more beneficial responses from people who may be willing to help and it will lead to a much more interesting discussion on the topic.

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:22   #8

SH

Wonderful post.

You oughta save it and repost it and repost it and repost it every time someone comes up with this question.

Which happens, in one form or another, about twice a week. : peace:

If you don't, please don't copyright it, so I can.

The only pic I have to nit with you is not suggesting to the OP that his question is like going on an automobile forum and asking: "I'm going to travel across country by car, which one should I get, I hear Yugos are good." Has he asked his mom which girl to marry. So I just did.

Your points are quite good: essentially, learn how to ask a reasonable question with enough information to get some valid, usable replies.

I would also suggest to the OP that he explain what research and homework he might have done already.

Good luck to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I think it is a valid question, and an interesting one to think about. I am sure many sailors have considered it.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to further the discussion and to possibly help you or others with a different POV regarding the topic.

I think to be fair and to get a better response and suggestions, it is most important to answer a few questions about yourself first.

IF you answer those in public (on the forum) then I think it will help others give you suggestions based upon fitting the boat to the sailor, rather than supposition and suggestions of boats that may not fit you, your goals, your budget, your abilities.

Why?
Because otherwise you or others will make poor assumptions. For example, in your opening remarks you wrote: "I know s&s 34's are what would be your first choice…" No, that would not be my first choice. So, already we are on two different tacks.

Questions to Ask Yourself BEFORE You Pick Your Boat for Sailing Around the World Alone:

1. What is your sailing skill level? Are you an expert sailor?

2. What experience do you have in sailing alone? In the ocean?

3. What experience do you have sailing alone far offshore over multiple days and nights?

4. What budget do you have? Is money tight and very limited? Or will money be no problem because you have large financial resources?

5. Do you prefer to "play it safe" or "like to take risks?"

6. Is getting around slowly OK? Or would you prefer to do it as quickly as possible?

7. Trying to set some kind of record? What kind?

8. Will you stop on the Circumnavigation, or will you go non-stop?

9. Will this be financed solely from your own funds, or will you feel the pressure to deliver to some expectations made by sponsors?

10. Will you be using a "shore support staff" who provide you with constant services or will you be doing this entirely on your own depending solely on your own skills (weather, navigation, repair, provisioning, etc.)?

11. Are you young, fit, strong, healthy? Or are you old, physically challenged, not as strong as you used to be? Some people who dream of doing a circumnavigation are 14, some are 40 and some others are 70+ years old. Which are you?

12. Will you be going around the "right way" or the "wrong way?"

Answer those questions here in the forum, and I think you will get much more beneficial responses from people who may be willing to help and it will lead to a much more interesting discussion on the topic.

Good luck!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:37   #9

Boat: Caliber 40

"What sort of boat would be the best for sailing around the world by myself in the Southern Ocean"

I’ve not sailed the Southern Ocean but have done quite a bit of single handed sailing in my 40’ cutter during the last 20-years. I have spent a great deal of time making the boat safe and easy to handle.

My first comment is really a question. Are your boat criteria based 100% on it’s Southern Ocean sailing capability? If the answer is Yes then you are not interested in many of my single handed criteria.

- livability at anchor
- room on board for comfort and entertainment
- ease of anchor management
- management of dinghy – getting it on an off the boat
- ease of getting supplies on/off all by yourself
- Light wind sailing

My two big requirements for a single hand boat in serious sailing water:

- how well does it take care of itself?
- how safe and easy is sail handling?

When you are out there by yourself you must have a boat that tracks well and is relatively stable. The boat must balance well so the autopilot or windvane can always keep the boat sailing properly. You have go below to cook, navigate, use the head, and rest. The boat must be able to stay on course or, even more important, stay aligned relative to waves, when you are not in the cockpit. The boat and autopilot must allow you to relax and rest your body and mind for extended periods.

My biggest concern, while single handing, is my safety while on deck, either the cabin top or the foredeck, while tending to sails. The boat must allow you to implement a safe and efficient mainsail reefing method. The headsails must be easily reefed to very small areas. The staysails should be very easy to rig and hoist.

I am not a big advocate of running all lines to the cockpit. I think it better to spend the time creating a very safe way to go forward and tend the sails where you can easily see everything and handle the halyards, clews, and sheets.

Another important question for me is: “How big a boat can you afford?”

I am convinced, after single handing 20, 25 and 30 foot boats, that a bigger and well thought out boat is safer and easier than a small boat. This opinion is also informed by talking to many other single handers on boats up to 50’. The bigger boat will be more stable and comfortable for extended periods of rough weather.

I quite agree with the previous comment - if I could afford one - a Deerfoot or Sundeer 64, or 60, or 56, would be very high on my short list. The Dashews really knew how to make a big fast boat easily sailable by a couple or single hander. They were the biggest contributor to my education as a single hander.

I am quite biased to sailing a true cutter where I can easily and efficiently reduce sail area. And, when necessary, I can fly a lot of sail area in lighter conditions. And, I can do all this without making a lot of sail changes.

How will you rig the interior for sleeping in rough conditions while keeping quick and easy access to the cockpit and sail handling? Is there a perfect sea berth with a place to rig lee clothes?

Where is the head located? Can you safely use it in rough conditions?

The cockpit must have room enough for you to stretch out and sleep comfortably. I make a nice bed in the cockpit with my head positioned so I can see the radar and instruments without moving my head. I wear a loud timer around my neck and, when trying to rest, set the time to repeat every 20-minutes. I sleep, the time rings, I check the radar and instruments, and then decide if I need to get up or can I take another 20-minute nap. The cockpit seats need to be long enough and wide enough make this procedure comfortable and easy.

The hardest part of single handing, at least for me, was the rest and relaxation issue. How to I stay mentally sharp after days of single handed sailing? After several days I find it harder and harder to rouse myself from lethargy of sitting and staring. It becomes physically difficult, due to mental tiredness, to standup, climb to the sidedeck, scan the horizon, walk the boat perimeter to check everything, and then return to cockpit. So, the boat must allow you to rest and relax for extended periods.

I personally know two singlehanders who lost their boats while underway. In both cases it was benign conditions after many days sailing. They zoned out or fell asleep and the boats hit shore or obstructions and were lost. I have twice had the same experience, but due to luck more than skill, regained my senses and realized 1) I was slowly sailing into a surf zone 2) was sailing directly into a large offshore rock

A boat that lets you relax is essential.

Bottom Line (just sailing considerations):

- Big
- Cutter rigged
- Very Stable
- Easily balanced and managed by autopilot / windvane
- Good working areas for sail management
- Big comfortable cockpit
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
SH

Wonderful post.

You oughta save it and repost it and repost it and repost it every time someone comes up with this question.

Which happens, in one form or another, about twice a week. : peace:

If you don't, please don't copyright it, so I can.

The only pic I have to nit with you is not suggesting to the OP that his question is like going on an automobile forum and asking: "I'm going to travel across country by car, which one should I get, I hear Yugos are good." Has he asked his mom which girl to marry. So I just did.

Your points are quite good: essentially, learn how to ask a reasonable question with enough information to get some valid, usable replies.

I would also suggest to the OP that he explain what research and homework he might have done already.

Good luck to the OP.
Glad you liked the effort and thoughts.

I had given my list of questions some thought with the intent to post it on the forum in another thread I want to start later, soon, but the topic here seems fitting too. I do intend to post it later, but in a thread/topic that is not focused on ONE person's goals to do a RTW Southern Ocean voyage (as this one seems to be). While I call it "my list" and it is something I originally wrote from my thoughts on this issue, I think others should consider writing their own lists like this, tailored to their own dreams or situations, to ask themselves questions like this prior to a big adventure.

Stu, you made good points above too (see bold). I think the research (reading, study) of the boats, projected course, risks, possible problems, self-repairs, etc. is all very important too.

The question ("Which Boat Should I Pick?") does not bother me at all, even if it gets asked by many people and many times. As I see it, it is one of the main "draws" to this particular forum site, and it even factored into my own decision to spend time here.

Many people obviously WANT or DREAM of sailing around the world (I do too), and I think it is a natural question to ask of those in a community like this who have had some fitting experiences or shared interests.
_________

Have a great day everyone!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 10:29   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

An S&S 34 would be well down my list.

There was a reason that Sanders, Dicks, Martin and Watson used S&S34's.

In 1987 Sanders used a far larger boat.
Old 14-05-2015, 15:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To Aussie Sailor (or others):

I am relatively new to this forum, (I started reading it and joined about a year ago) so I still learn things about what is already HERE on the forum and the forum/site's features.

A moment ago I glanced down at the bottom of this page as I read the latest post (by El Penguino) and saw that there was another thread VERY similar to this one (almost same original question about Singlehanding Southern Ocean and Which Boat to buy to do that) started 5 years ago! That thread had 157 comments at the time. So, here is a link to it. I have not read it yet, but I am sure it will be full of opinions and it will be interesting to see how that earlier discussion developed.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...top-40464.html

As always, I am amazed at the amount of information found in the archives of this wonderful forum! My thanks go to everyone who has contributed their views, experience, and comments (opinions or questions) in the past!

Lesson to self? Don't forget to look at the bottom of a page for that list of "Similar Threads" as they may contain more answers to similar questions.

My Favorite Tip to Any New Members of this Forum Looking for Fast Answers:

There have been threads posted on the forum discussing many topics at length, with differing opinions. But quickly finding the right thread and the right answer could take a while, if one just browses the forum.

Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is a friendly tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you.

This is the best and fastest method I have found to find answers or opinions already in the forum archives.
Old 14-05-2015, 19:46   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A friend of mine just got a '70 Cheoy Lee Luders 30 and I was impressed with the build quality on it. I'd look into the 36 for what you are planning. It is a strong and seaworthy boat, pretty full keel and well protected rudder. A sound all-around choice. Of course Bluewaterboats.org has many good choices and don't miss the boats that are on their waiting list (to vote for.) Many of those definitely are good candidates. Atomvoyages.com has some good insight and a "good old boat list" though they may be on the small side for you. I always thought I'd like to try out a Pearson Rhodes 41 for long distance single-handing
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 20:55   #14
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

My last boat was an S&S34. She was an amazing boat in every way. If I had to go Southern Ocean in a smallish plastic boat, the first boat on my list would be the S&S34. The S&S34 was pretty tight down below. She went upwind better than any boat I have ever sailed. My second choice would be a Pretorien 35. Very sweet boat.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 13:53   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
My last boat was an S&S34. She was an amazing boat in every way. If I had to go Southern Ocean in a smallish plastic boat, the first boat on my list would be the S&S34. The S&S34 was pretty tight down below. She went upwind better than any boat I have ever sailed. My second choice would be a Pretorien 35. Very sweet boat.
Nothing whatsever against S&S34s and obviously they can do it.

However... upwind performance doesn't count for much in high southern latitudes...ability to track sweetly down hill in pretty big seas is what is required.

How many times did Pink Lady get laid flat? 6 or 10 or something plus a 360*? Not my idea of fun.

Sanders used an S&S 34 cos it was what he owned at the time, Dicks used his mum's boat cos that is what Sanders used, Martin's dad bought him one cos that is what Sanders and Dicks had used, and so it followed along with Watson.

Tags
single