Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2023, 09:30   #1

Should we be worried? (Post-Survey advice)

Hello salties and sweetwaters!

New account here, but long time reader and have benefited greatly from the knowledge and wisdom gathered here!

We are looking to buy a 2003 Beneteau 361, that is currently docked in Spain, and plan to sail her home to the Netherlands this May.

We just got back our survey and nearly everything is in good or serviceable condition, nothing unexpected in a 2003 boat that hasn't had a refit. There are two points, however, that are concerning and I hoped to get some advice on.

One is some minor delamination around the shaft going into the skeg. It is allowing in some water. The other is corrosion around one of the aft keel bolts.

We don't have any experience with these issues, and hope you can tell us whether these are major concerns, should we have them repaired before leaving for the Netherlands, and/or how much to ask the seller to come down in price.

Thanks so much in advance and hope to return the favor some day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-03-25 at 14.58.45.jpeg
Views:	686
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	273254   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-03-25 at 14.58.50.jpeg
Views:	491
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	273255  

LaughingBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 09:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Should we be worried? (Post-Survey advice)

Should you be worried? no, if that is the only points the survey has come up with that's good news. Some yachts will have a lot more work required.

Should you have them repaired in the Netherlands? yes because I think you will have a proper repair done by a Dutch yard, rather than somewhere else later, when they know you are going to move the yacht to another country.

I would take the survey to a couple of Dutch yards and ask for an estimation of the costs to laminate the stern tube an? perhaps E1000 and see what happens. Ideally you pay for the repairs rather than the vendor doing the job on the cheap.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:06   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

The keel bolt should be an easy fix. I believe that boat has an iron keel and the the bolts are just regular hex bolts. You should be able to just unscrew them to inspect and replace if needed. It can even be done in the water one at a time. If water comes in through the holes you'll know you have more of a problem, the bedding has failed. There is a slight chance the bolt is compromised so badly that it breaks off instead of unscrewing but that's rare. It did happen to me though, but that bolt had been leaking for years and was very rusty. Yours doesn't look nearly that bad. You can get the torque values from the factory and retorque all the bolts while you're at it.
The shaft problem looks a bit more serious, needs a pro repair I think.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:14   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

The question I would have about the stern tube delamination and apparent crack is why is it happening? Is the shaft out of alignment or is the prop unbalanced? Out of the water it would not be easy to tell.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:33   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, but why would you rely on someone's opinion on this forum who has never seen the boat, rather than the opinion of your surveyor who actually inspected it?

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:35   #6

Here is a close up from the surveyor for additional context.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230315_163306.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	273257  
Old 25-03-2023, 10:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, but why would you rely on someone's opinion on this forum who has never seen the boat, rather than the opinion of your surveyor who actually inspected it?

Bob
Because the survey says 'recommend' repair. That doesn't tell me anything about how much such a thing would cost or how much I should push the current owner to come down in cost. So I am using the hive mind for more info!

We have a call with the surveyor planned too, don't worry, but I prefer to get some more info so I come prepared to be able to make an informed decision.
Old 25-03-2023, 10:46   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingBird View Post
Because the survey says 'recommend' repair. That doesn't tell me anything about how much such a thing would cost or how much I should push the current owner to come down in cost. So I am using the hive mind for more info!
So you ask your surveyor to clarify those things. And/or you get a second opinion from some qualified, well-regarded repair experts.

When you go back to the seller and try to negotiate the price down, what will carry more weight?:

1. "My surveyor and such-and-such boatyard says this is a major problem; it must be fixed; and it will cost "x" $$ to do so"

or

2. "Some anonymous people on the internet posted that this is a major problem; it must be fixed; and it will cost "x" $$ to do so"

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
So you ask your surveyor to clarify those things. And/or you get a second opinion from some qualified, well-regarded repair experts.

When you go back to the seller and try to negotiate the price down, what will carry more weight?:

1. "My surveyor and such-and-such boatyard says this is a major problem; it must be fixed; and it will cost "x" $$ to do so"

or

2. "Some anonymous people on the internet posted that this is a major problem; it must be fixed; and it will cost "x" $$ to do so"

Bob
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 25-03-2023, 11:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Should you be worried? no, if that is the only points the survey has come up with that's good news. Some yachts will have a lot more work required.

Should you have them repaired in the Netherlands? yes because I think you will have a proper repair done by a Dutch yard, rather than somewhere else later, when they know you are going to move the yacht to another country.

I would take the survey to a couple of Dutch yards and ask for an estimation of the costs to laminate the stern tube an? perhaps E1000 and see what happens. Ideally you pay for the repairs rather than the vendor doing the job on the cheap.
Thanks, this is helpful info. This was the way we were thinking as well, we would prefer the repair to be done locally so we can go back to them if there are issues.
Old 25-03-2023, 11:20   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Does this Bene have this shaft cooling fitting?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ff-274050.html
Old 25-03-2023, 14:56   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CF!
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 22:47   #13

I’m more interested in what looks like red grease on the stern bearing, (the rubber bearing ,so hopefully it’s a grease that won’t react badly)did the surveyor mention this.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 00:50   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I’m more interested in what looks like red grease on the stern bearing, (the rubber bearing ,so hopefully it’s a grease that won’t react badly)did the surveyor mention this.

I don’t think it’s grease (there shouldn’t be grease on the shaft or cutless in any event.) It looks more like a line wrap that got sucked into the cutless.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 01:12   #15

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I don’t think it’s grease (there shouldn’t be grease on the shaft or cutless in any event.) It looks more like a line wrap that got sucked into the cutless.
This, regarding the red stuff.

Tags
Advice, survey