Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 04:50   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Should I change my mind about teak decks on older boats?

If you really like a boat and you have the skills and time, you can always remove the teak, clean up the fiberglass deck underneath, and put down nonskid.

In truth, with a boat from the 80's, there's a very good chance that you're going to need refit the whole deck anyway, rebedding everything on the deck and perhaps painting the fiberglass coachroof and cockpit anyway. If you're going to undertake that project, ripping up the teak deck and refinishing what's underneath is the logical time to do it.

So, if you find an older boat with teak decks it's not an automatic "run away". Rather, you're just not going to want to put down more teak.

Very often older boats with tired teak are heavily discounted (by the cost of replacing the teak). There's an opportunity there if you're planning on a substantial refit anyway.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:05   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
If the teak deck has bungs then it's screwed to the subdeck and you will want to run away. There will be soft decks under teak after 20-30 years. Tayana uses screws. Lovely to look at as long as it's someone else's boat.
You took the words from my mouth. I love teak decks, and I love to keep walking away from them. In my view, all exterior wood on boats is there for the purpose of eating time better spent sailing.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:19   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I had a teak deck on a 30 year old boat.
Would and will avoid in the future.
HR however is such a good boat that I could change my mind..
We were in a slip next to a HR that had to have it's deck replaced to stop the multiple leaks through the 100s of holes drilled for screws and got below via deck fittings.. Cost a fortune AND had to be redone a year later as the caulking failed, faulty batch. Cost was one bombshell, losing a sailing season's use was another, twice! No way would I have teak decks.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:45   #19

I recently talked to a man that had managed a boat yard for 8 years. I was looking at boats and didnt want teak decks. Smaller boats and much less expensive than the boats being discussed here, but his comment was (for a 35 foot boat) to take a flat nosed shovel and tear all of that crap (his words,not mine) off, repair any core damage and put a layer or 2 of glass and then Kiwi Grip or some other nonskid. My own choice for a sea going boat would be Treadmaster. His advice didnt require fine wood working skills (re-laying teak) or long tedious labor. I know there are certainly different things to consider when you are talking about a $200,000 boat, but getting rid of teak decks isnt as expensive as it seems. Replacing them IS as expensive as your worst nightmare. I have sailed on other peoples boats in the tropics that had teak decks and I would never want them. They are damned hot and inspite of popular opinion, I dont think they are at all good as non-skid. But then mine is just another CF opinion. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:51   #20

I have a teak deck.
Teak deck is safe to walk on when it is wet.
Look for me become secondary
fair wind to all
Omega46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:00   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

One more suggestion to avoid teak decking. Everyone else has expressed the reasons.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:24   #22

I just think there is no need to add risk and work to boat ownership. Thus NO to teak decks. I had one boat with glued on teak decks in one area only. (Catamaran with teak covered steps and engine covers) I had it during it's 6-8th year since built. They were starting to look rough by the 8th year.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I recently talked to a man that had managed a boat yard for 8 years. I was looking at boats and didnt want teak decks. Smaller boats and much less expensive than the boats being discussed here, but his comment was (for a 35 foot boat) to take a flat nosed shovel and tear all of that crap (his words,not mine) off, repair any core damage and put a layer or 2 of glass and then Kiwi Grip or some other nonskid. My own choice for a sea going boat would be Treadmaster. His advice didnt require fine wood working skills (re-laying teak) or long tedious labor. I know there are certainly different things to consider when you are talking about a $200,000 boat, but getting rid of teak decks isnt as expensive as it seems. Replacing them IS as expensive as your worst nightmare. I have sailed on other peoples boats in the tropics that had teak decks and I would never want them. They are damned hot and inspite of popular opinion, I dont think they are at all good as non-skid. But then mine is just another CF opinion. _____Grant.
Sounds simple but in practice not so easy. ALL the deck fittings will have to be removed first, tracks, cleats, rig attachments, stanchions then after removing the old deck, any screw holes have to be dealt with, including most probably repairs to the underlying core material which will be water saturated. We were considering one 41ft boat about 16 years ago in the UK that had all new teak decks fitted, it looked very nice indeed but had cost the owner around $50,000 to do even back then. At the same time we were looking at a sister ship also for sale that had original knackered teak decks. The broker said it just needed a little TLC! WE bought a different boat with moulded glass non slip that worked just fine, was easily cleaned, cooler in the sun and didn't come with a free timebomb.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:34   #24

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Almost $40K lighter, we have just removed the Teak decking on our 1981 Grand Banks main deck,and now have an Awlgrip deck surface with non-skid pattern. We were lucky in that there were absolutely no soft spots found even with the teak being glued and screwed down. At that age, we were having some of the teak strips starting to lift and moisture was getting under them.They were also pretty thin after years of wear and probably sanding by previous owner.

Glad we got it done, but there is a major expense there waiting in some cases that you need to be aware of. Also, depending on your cruising climate, Teak decks can get pretty darn hot to walk on in bare feet, and if pets, tough for them too.

Having teak decks would not stop me from buying the boat though if all else was acceptable and it was in decent condition.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:25   #25

Robin, almost all of what you mention will have to be done no matter if you plan to re-lay new teak or paint with nonskid or lay something like treadmaster. The laying of a couple of layers of glass negates the need to individually fix a thousand holes. The cost of teak and the labor of re-installing are the biggest costs of the regular job, not to mention filling a thousand holes. The cost of re-bedding and deck repair are going to be the same for whatever is done. I think that next to replacing teak, the most expensive job would be to try to duplicate a typical molded in nonskid. That takes time and skill. Years ago I sailed on a friends boat with Treadmaster and thought WOW, I really like this stuff. There is no single way to do things around boats. Just some things cost much more than others. Just another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:52   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
I've been researching cruising boats and my basic criteria is a 40 - 48ft. well found cruising boat, and given our budget, I've focused on boats from the late 80's to early 90's. The one feature that's been a dis-qualifier thus far has been teak decks. Most things I've read and most people I've talked to have suggested that I stay away from teak decks given they're likely needing replacement as early as 15 years old but certainly when getting to 25 - 30 years old and the replacement cost is very high, even as a DIY project. However, many high end boats with teak decks from Europe (e.g. H-R, Contest, Najad, etc.) as well as from Asia (Taswell, Tayana, etc.) are advertised that seem to be well found, well maintained, commanding a high price in the market, and would seem to be ideal except for those darn teak decks. Obviously somebody's buying these older H-R's and Najads, what are they doing?

So, do some boat builders do a better job with teak decks than others? European builders better than Asia? Or the opposite? Are there well built, well maintained teak decks that last 30 - 40 years? It seems that teak decks from that time period are screwed directly into the FG deck? Meaning that just removing the teak would require you to fill a couple of thousand holes in the FG deck along with new gelcoat, deck paint and awlgrip? Yikes.. How can you tell if a teak deck is in good condition?

Given that boats move, is there any boat yard in the world that would do a great job redoing your teak deck but cost less than bringing the boat back to Sweden (or Taiwan)?

Should I continue to avoid teak decks, or keep an open mind and consider teak decks just one more item in the overall condition of the boat? TIA

-Jim
What is your budget? Teak looks nice requires maintenance. Buying a boat with teak can be a simple as repaying and replacing bungs, however if water has gotten into a cored deck beneath? The later would be my guess on an older boat. A crewed yacht probably not JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42   #27

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I get really pissed off at 'put-down' comments by some who possibly have never owned a boat with teak decks. Just because you own a boat and don't want to spend time doing teak maintenance, doesn't necessarily make you an expert on the subject. For instance, you don't know if another persons problem with a teak deck was created by, or for, a lack of general care, but you appear to jump on it and perpetuate the issue as if it were your own experience.

On my 24 ft. LOD cruising boat of similar dimensions to Pardey's original Serraffyn, I not only have teak decks but also teak capped Coamings, teak Hatches, teak Cockpit Seats as well as a teak Grid in the cockpit. Furthermore, I have a custom teak grid on the Boom-kin for outside storage of my propane tank, and of course another lovely teak grid on the Bowsprit.

Call me a masochist if you like, I just don't give a damn however, if teak is so undesirable to all you folk making derogatory comments on its use, why is it so many other boat owners on my dock and the few dock walkers we often meet, always stop to admire MY boat, but casually walk by most all other boats, almost as if they were not there?

So, for all you naysayers out there, a properly installed deck is pure beauty in my opinion. Living in the PNW, heat is not a major issue so I cannot comment about use of teak in hot climates. Neither will I do like so many of you and "generalize" on the subject when in fact, conditions differ all over the world as well as the north American continent. Believe me folks, the world does NOT end at the borders of the U.S.A., even (if) you do call that old British kids game of "Rounders" that you play (renamed Baseball) ... The 'World' Series!!! ... Hah!

My deck was professionally installed by "Anglo Marine" a business located at Shelter Island Marina in Delta, B.C. ... The 1-1/2" wide teak strips are a full 7/16" thick. A layer (or coating) of a black synthetic rubber product was applied to the properly prepared glass deck, as well as the underside of all the teak. Installed on the deck, it was vacuum bagged, giving it an even atmospheric pressure clamping force over every square inch of the deck, permanently bonding the teak to the glass. It was left under pressure for about 72 hours before the vacuum pump was shut off. There are no fasteners used at all over the entire installation. THIS is the proper way to install a teak deck in this day and age.

You don't have to go to Taiwan to get a professional job done, all you have to do is take a page from your President Elect's book. Find the nearest 'right' company to do the job and support your neighbour and local economy.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Robin, almost all of what you mention will have to be done no matter if you plan to re-lay new teak or paint with nonskid or lay something like treadmaster. The laying of a couple of layers of glass negates the need to individually fix a thousand holes. The cost of teak and the labor of re-installing are the biggest costs of the regular job, not to mention filling a thousand holes. The cost of re-bedding and deck repair are going to be the same for whatever is done. I think that next to replacing teak, the most expensive job would be to try to duplicate a typical molded in nonskid. That takes time and skill. Years ago I sailed on a friends boat with Treadmaster and thought WOW, I really like this stuff. There is no single way to do things around boats. Just some things cost much more than others. Just another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
Treadmaster is great, certainly tops my list. yes layering glass mat over the stripped off deck will shut off the original screw holes but the water most likely has already snuck into the core and spread, so sealing it in place may not be the smartest idea unless you can be very sure the core, be it balsa or foam cell has not been compromised. We are back looking at potential live aboard boats once again and teak decks on anything we might find affordable is a definite deal breaker. We want to sail, not take on a project boat nor go bust.
Old 01-12-2016, 13:01   #29

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

There are ways of fastening teak (or some of the better substitutes down to the frames and deck beams than with screws or other bolts from topsides.

Of course this requires extra equipment and some tricky gluing, but essentially the deck is glued and screwed from below decks to ribs glued to either side or one side of the deck beams. Alternately, angled stainless steel can be used and bolted through the deck beams either or one side. The cheapest way of getting it is to buy the sheet and have it cut and bent to suit. For floors in buildings I have the angled stainless holed on the side facing the beams and slotted where the screws fasten the boards, in case of subsequent movement, but this may not be necessary. If slotting the angles--you will need to use pan head screws or bolts--not as neat as countersunk screws but stronger.

The deck is securely fastened from below using stainless screws (making sure the holes for the screws do not go deeply enough to emerge through the deck, screws also must be shorter than the deck thickness), then the deck is sealed above in the usual way, or oiled.. I also use this technique for fastening down hardwood floors in buildings using t&g timbers edge glued-as-you-go and sand it clean later.

It is important that the timber be properly dry and it must be cramped in place using jacks. I think the term is "Springing" the deck--but I have seen boat builders using tapered wedges and clamped blocks to drive decking planks together many years ago. One starts at the deck shelf edge and works towards the centreline, fitting the last fitted plank carefully with a mallet.

Of course teak does not accept glue easily even if you dissolve some of the oil from the timber using solvents, then use resorcinol glue. Epoxy does not like to stick to oily timbers. Maybe polyurethane glue might be a better option--I would have to try some test pieces first..

Having said all that--I do not like teak decks. These are just ideas on how to avoid some of the usual sources of leaks through above-deck fastenings. One may not be able to avoid all of them--but every fastening secured from below is one less potential leak. Of course it adds weight to the deck--but there is no compromise that does not have a disadvantage of one sort or another.

If you are fastening teak decks over pressure treated marine grade plywood--(the only sort I would be using then epoxy saturate it as well) then your job is simpler. You just need to pre-drill and seal the drill holes in the plywood where the planks will go using a piece of pre-drilled plank as a template or pattern from above, then drill, glue and screw down the planks from below through the holes you drilled earlier.

Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 13:42   #30

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
Just chiming in as a boat with teak decks owner...

Our teak decks have been on our vessel for 36 years now, and there are honestly no deck leaks or evidence from any in the past. Granted, our boat is a custom one-off and they used very good materials building her (we are the third owners). The teak is very thick, screwed into plywood on a wood boat, and in good condition.

Salt water is a friend to teak decks as is an occasional cleaning with saltwater and a bristle brush...going against the grain. They do get hot under foot in the sun and they do radiate heat into the boat.

Personally, I love them. But then I also like things wooden, and as mentioned, my boat is not fiberglass. That would make a big difference to me when I think of rotten cores, and would not prefer teak on a cored deck for many of the afore-mentioned reasons given by other posters. Best with your decision!
The same for me.

Boat (GRP) is 1989, glued teak. A NO BRAINER TO ME.

WHEN time comes, i'll make new one around and in the cockpit/helm, and ivory grip paint for all the rest

PS teak deck is a luxury. As such, it is a personal decision.

Maybe driving/owning a Rolls-Royce is stupid, but most who say so never drove/had one, thus, do not judge others by your own standards, please

PPS Malta is not hot enough to let me say that my deck was "too hot" last summer
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck