Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 16:02   #1

Boat: 1980 Cal 39
Lightbulb Shopping for a Blue Water Cruiser

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and could use some pointers as to how to find the right blue water capable Sailboat. So far I've mostly been searching on Yachtworld and Boat Trader and am now attempting to broaden my search. As such, can anyone on this forum give some pointers on Brokers/ Classifieds that you have used or maybe someone you know has used with great success.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 17:12   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Shopping for a Blue Water Cruiser

It would be really usefull if you specified:
1) where you are in the world
2) what kind of boat you are looking for “Blue Waer Cruiser” doesn’t mean much to anyone. Could be a 28 ft boat or a 80ft boat. So, length, hull material, rig, monohull, cat. etc.
3) price range
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 17:27   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome Aboard CF, Cap Morgan,

Two more items to add to nuku 34's list:

Intended use of boat. High vs. mid-latitude, and also long passages or coastal.

Your experience level as a sailor.

The two will hugely affect the answers you will receive.

Thanks.

Ann

On Edit: actually, letting us know your general location would be a help, too. This is an international forum, and the answers would be different between Calif. and Sweden, for example....
Old 11-05-2021, 17:46   #4

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

As one who sailed on a 22' sailboat in "blue water," I can say that any boat can be in the right hands or in the right conditions.

As the previous posters have said, where you are and what you plan to do have a lot to do with it.

Sailing through Pollock Rip off Cape Cod, in sight of the heavily touristed beaches, can be one of the least promising of situations for any sailing vessel, "bluewater" or not, in the wrong conditions.

In fact, one of the bluest of blue-water boats in its time was turned around by the conditions in those waters, with consequences that were profound...

Whereas an experienced delivery skipper here named Boatman has videos of pleasant sails across the infamous Biscay that make it look like Lac Leman...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.45.49 PM.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	238218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.47.47 PM.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	238219  

We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 20:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
It would be really usefull if you specified:
1) where you are in the world
2) what kind of boat you are looking for “Blue Waer Cruiser” doesn’t mean much to anyone. Could be a 28 ft boat or a 80ft boat. So, length, hull material, rig, monohull, cat. etc.
3) price range
Nuku34,
Thanks for your response.
My intent was to find out about good Brokers that I could work with , however, since you ask for details here’s basically what I’m looking for:
37 - 40’ Sloop
Blue water capable as opposed to coastal sailing or bare boat cruisers. For instance, I’m looking for a monohull that will be inclined to right itself if knocked down which wouldn’t be the case with the typical Charter boat.
Boat that can be single handed on occasion.
Fine entry.
Teak interior
Keel stepped Mast
Full Skeg hung rudder
Fin Keel but will consider full Keel
Good condition require mostly TLC.
Well documented maintenance and history
Budget -$65k
Also, I’m in Miami Fl.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.
Old 11-05-2021, 22:07   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Morgan View Post
Nuku34,
My intent was to find out about good Brokers that I could work with , however, since you ask for details here’s basically what I’m looking for:
37 - 40’ Sloop
Blue water capable as opposed to coastal sailing or bare boat cruisers. For instance, I’m looking for a monohull that will be inclined to right itself if knocked down which wouldn’t be the case with the typical Charter boat.
Fine entry.
Teak interior
Keel stepped Mast
Full Skeg hung rudder
Budget -$65k
Also, I’m in Miami Fl.

While you may find one - I suspect that your $65K budget is on the low side for what you are specifying. Certainly you would be hard pressed to find a boat with your specs at that price here in Denmark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 23:35   #7

Quote:
Blue water capable as opposed to coastal sailing or bare boat cruisers.
All Class A boats (which are nearly all of the common one in this size class) are rated for blue water.
Quote:
For instance, I’m looking for a monohull that will be inclined to right itself if knocked down which wouldn’t be the case with the typical Charter boat.
Interesting statement. This is how all monohull with a keel work. As there isn't a class of specially crappy boats for charter only, I'm unsure where you get this disdain for charter boats. You can choose from all major brands and easily take them offshore into blue water. That's what many people do.

The main difference off charter boats from owners version is in the interior. They prioritise berths over stowage, which is why often cruisers use one of the cabins as storage locker. Also cruisers often install some conveniences in the boat as add-on not needed that much for chartering, the main being probably a solar arch. But here again, you need to know what specifics you care about. Some people might want davits, other not (I'm in the not camp)
Quote:
Here again, you cover nearly all more or less recent (say last 35 years) boats in this size class (35'-42') that aren't dedicated racers for crews. If it has a head and a galley, you'll be able to sail it single handed. In the worst case you might have to do a little setup to make it a little easier.

To sum it up, you really should tell us a little more what you intend to do: Sail in the Bahamas and Caribbean? Cross the Atlantic to visit Europe? Go the coconut route across the Pacific? Go to Patagonia? Do winter-sailing to in the North-Atlantic? Visit South Georgia Island?
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:49   #8

Boat: Leopard 45

While most of us cruisers spend more than 95% of our time at anchor, that 5% making transit can be done in most any boat whether it has a skeg hung rudder, full keel or fin keel. It's more important to take your time in making passages to be sure of good weather and following winds. Anytime it looks like a knockdown might be possible, I'm not going to be out in that blow. As for charter boats, there are some great buys out there and the big companies are constantly churning their fleet. I've owned two charter boats and, while some needed a bit of upgrading, mine were both comfortable and in need of little modification to make passage where ever I needed to sail.
cheers,
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:28   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

anything in your price range will require a lot more than TLC. Check this site ( there is one Bene 38' listed in your price range) https://www.popyachts.com/help-me-find-a-boat
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:03   #10

I have a friend who is selling a blue water cruiser - a Wauquiez 43 Amphitrite - for $59K, as it happens. Search for it on https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/90861

I have one, as does Fatty Goodlander, a cruiser who writes for Cruising World, and the Wauquiez 43 is a very comfortable blue water boat. Veit’s boat is rigged for cruising - I was helping him with the Monitor Self-Steering recently.

Dan Bryant
JDanielBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:07   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Nuku34,
37 - 40’ Sloop
Fine entry.
Teak interior
Keel stepped Mast
Full Skeg hung rudder
Budget -$65k
Also, I’m in Miami Fl.
I don't understand your concern with finding a "good broker". Your concern should be with finding a good boat. Are you somehow restricted from doing the search yourself? Are you looking for a "buyers broker" that will search and negotiate for you? Your desired boat details look reasonable to me but the $65 may be a challenge.

From most of the ads I have read most brokers don't seem to care about the boat details they post in their ads; incorrect boat specifications and poor photos. Brokers only get paid after the sale so getting you into a boat is his goal...ANY BOAT!

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:21   #12

Cap Morgan:

You say: "Blue water capable as opposed to coastal sailing or bare boat cruisers. For instance, I’m looking for a monohull that will be inclined to right itself if knocked down which wouldn’t be the case with the typical Charter boat."

Really? How do you know that?

I'm not being snarly, Cap. Quite the contrary. I'm hoping that we 'ere on CF can help to get you on the right track. IMO starting with Boat Trader and Yachtworld is QUITE the wrong approach to solving the problem before you. What you DO need to do, as suggested by other CFers in previous post though no-one has sail so in so many words, is start by doing some ruthlessly structured thinking about what
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Welcome Aboard CF, Cap Morgan,

Two more items to add to nuku 34's list:

Intended use of boat. High vs. mid-latitude, and also long passages or coastal.

Your experience level as a sailor.

The two will hugely affect the answers you will receive.

Thanks.

Ann

On Edit: actually, letting us know your general location would be a help, too. This is an international forum, and the answers would be different between Calif. and Sweden, for example....
Hello JPA Kate,

To answer your questions:

1. Intended use is live-aboard Cruiser for Ocean crossings.
2. Experience level - moderate
3. I live in Miami Florida

Also, one item that I left off my list to Nuku34 is Fiberglass boat only,

Hope this clarifies.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:55   #14

Boat: Beneteau

Seems to me that the Cap has misread many a sailing book. I'm sitting here now looking out at my empty mooring where my totally incapable charter type boat will sit in short order. Given my proximity to the north Atlantic I am very limited in where I can sail. The cove is probably only 600 feet wide and has shallow areas.

This whole idea of blue water boats needs to be put to bed because a lot of people are stuck in cave like quarters because some old timer informed them about sailing requirements. Buy the boat you want to spend time about and go sailing.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
While you may find one - I suspect that your $65K budget is on the low side for what you are specifying. Certainly you would be hard pressed to find a boat with your specs at that price here in Denmark.
Carstenb, just yesterday I came across a Cabo Rico 40 (actually over 41') in Ft. Lauderdale for 59k. It had more features than I'm seeking. This boat does , however, require a new deck (mostly cosmetic work based on the listing). I just missed that opportunity as it is already under contract. My point is that at my budget I think I can get what I'm looking for realizing that Ill need to put some elbow grease into it to get it the way Id like it plus additional investment in equipment that will make Ocean crossings more enjoyable. It just so happens that I enjoy doing these types of projects so am willing to make some sacrifices on features in order to get a basically solid boat. Furthermore I just retired so time is not an issue.

Tags
blue water, cruise, cruiser, shopping, water