Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2022, 23:38   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Shipping (a boat)

Hi all,

I am kicking around some long range plans. I was speaking with the commodore of my local sailing club in SoCal who has a Hanse 355. She said that it would cost about $6000 to ship her boat back to the LA area from Hawaii. I was wondering if it would cost much more to ship a boat from a point farther East, like SE Asia or Japan?
thanks,
Zach
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 23:44   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Shipping (a boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
Hi all,

I am kicking around some long range plans. I was speaking with the commodore of my local sailing club in SoCal who has a Hanse 355. She said that it would cost about $6000 to ship her boat back to the LA area from Hawaii. I was wondering if it would cost much more to ship a boat from a point farther East, like SE Asia or Japan?
thanks,
Zach

Shipping costs have rocketed. 20K or more for long sea journeys.
Old 28-10-2022, 07:45   #3

That price for LA to HI seems optimistic, but not outrageously so. I’d guess $8k-10k. It would have to go on a US flagged ship, and there are not any I know of dedicated to yacht shipping. Or shipped out of Ensenada, more likely. Pricing pretty much proportional to distance carried.

There are several shipping companies that specialize in this and have dedicated, purpose designed, ships that run regular routes and schedules. They’ll be happy to give you a quick quote. Google: yacht shipping
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 08:38   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It would cost about $6000 if she paid me to sail it back. Shipping is probably more than twice that. I once paid $6000 for the longshoremen just to unload a boat I shipped from New Zealand to the West Coast.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 06:59   #5

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Hi all,

thanks,
Zach

Shipping - by boat or vessel - has become cost prohibitive. Before we bought our latest one I looked into one that would have to be and the quote was 20,000.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 07:47   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Hi all,

thanks,
Zach
In 2009 we were close to signing a contract to ship a 43' boat from Singapore to North America (Ensenada, Mexico). The price at that time was $28,000.

It just goes to show that if you take a boat across the Pacific it is a commitment, no easy way back.

Tags
boat, shipping