Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 12:29   #31

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Shannon 28 - Odd layout

The Shannon boats are quality built. And David Walters is one of the best people I've met in the boat business. While I would be unconcerned about the lack of a V-berth, I would be concerned about the lack of sailing performance of the 28.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 13:40   #32

Boat: Sabre 34-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
Doug, Great feedback thank you so much! Small world, seeing that you owned one also. There are not many out there. So you didn't even use the quarter berth? You just slept on the pullouts on each side? I think I'd be ok sleeping on the pullout for days at a time (it's basically like a couch as far as I'm concerned) letting the admiral sleep in the quarter.

What was your vessel's name? Do you know who owns it now?

Oh, and do by chance have any of the manuals or documentation hanging around? There are so few of these things there is nothing online.
According to Bill Ramos at Shannon Yachts, there were only 4 or so made out of the approximately 50 total. We did not use the quarter berth at all, except for storage. The pullouts had far better ventilation with the forward hatch open, the ports open and a screen on the open companionway hatch. At anchor or on a mooring, it was almost always comfortable on a Maine night.

Ours was #25, named Windrose. We sold it to someone local in Yarmouth, ME., but I don't feel comfortable giving his name here. If you look up documented vessels by name, you should find it.

I have no documentation, but contact Bill Ramos at Shannon and he can provide information. They still have the notebooks for each boat they built. If you're ever in RI, you could probably go there and look up your boat.
doug1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 15:44   #33

Boat: Shannon 28

Hi Armysailor,

I have owned a Shannon 28 for many years now and here's what I can tell you:
the V berth is roomy for both my wife & I ( in our early 60's) and very comfortable. I can pop out of the hatch and be on deck quickly if needed.I have slept ( and guests) in the cabin berths which are fine but I prefer the v berth except offshore.Mine also has a fold down pipe berth which is used as a great work bench and when folded up a storage area.
I recently sailed her 700 miles from Lake Champlain back to Maine in all conditions both coastal and offshore and although not fast in light air ( much depends on your sail inventory) she sails beautifully and is very comfortable for her size with a well thought out interior. As far as the cost: you get what you pay for.

Good luck!
Pecosjk is offline   Reply With Quote