Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 21:24   #31

Re: shallow draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
Alloy CB best of both worlds.
Many NZ keeler designs have 1.8m draft as std and go to windward well, 1.7 is a tad less but shouldn't be an issue.
I've never understood why French-style alu CB boats didn't take off gang-busters with kiwis way back when.

Are we just too cheap? I hate having to tippy-toe around miles offshore even in settled weather just because of a ginormous appendage. And crossing bars with a keel is frankly more exciting than enough.

There are some amazing hard-sand beaches in Northland (and occasional examples further afield), inaccessible by road, deserted from seaward, just crying to have a cruising boat hauled up above the storm-surge line, as a short-term beach-house, too...

I guess I've just never seen the attraction in being well-hung; even equines don't leave their undercarriage permanently deployed.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:23   #32

Re: shallow draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Doesn't any new questioner ever read a book about sailboats?

Nigel Calder: Cruisers Handbook

and many others.

Guess it's always easier to ask on a Forum than doing some homework or research.
I've found many of the so called experts are merely relating their preferences. Better to get a variety of thoughts from those out there doing it.

Then again, I have to laugh at the idea that 1.7m is "shallow draft". Shallow draft means my shorts don't get wet if I walk to short.

I'll avoid the whole number of hulls question but how do you intend to use the boat? That should be the deciding factor.

If you are looking at racing in locations with plenty of deep water, get the deep draft boat as it will perform better. If you are a cruiser and plan to hang out in a lot of shallow water areas, the shallower the better.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, shallow draft