Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Thanks all. I decided to have a friend go to observe the survey
instead of waiting to be there myself. Everything still seems good but fingers crossed that it all works out! As usual, your advice
is a big help.
Sent from my iPhone
using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I think you should bite the bullet and make a deposit for your offer. Having someone there to witness the survey
only gives you piece of mind for the survey its self. The surveyor
works for you but does not care if you buy the boat
. The survey is a separate issue than the offer to buy. Frankly, the buyer can agree to let you survey the biat but still not sell it to you without a contract
We did somewhat like you are attempting to do but we had cash on hand and the survey was made the next day. We had a letter of acceptance before we did the survey. In other words, we knew the terms of the sale
before anything moved forward and has a signed contract
. Our low offer was based "as is where is, but pending acceptable survey". But again, with cash on hand and fast survey, the seller "wins" buy cutting down their iwn costs to carry the boat
But, basically, what you are attempting to do is have the seller carry some of what should be your investment in the purchase
. You have given nothing but are asking a lot of them to carry you for weeks until it is convenient for you.
If you are sincere in your wish to buy the boat, do the right thing and go back to the broker
with a down payment. Move the survey up reasonably and be there for the whole thing if you can.
Otherwise the seller will just blow a raspberry at you. A low offer might be appropriate but the seller has to have a good reason for taking it. A quick sale
is your best hope here as it gets the seller out of future financial obligations for the boat. Otherwise the seller is motivated to seek the highest price
to recoup some of the costs for keeping it.