Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 09:49   #1

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Selling My Boat - Broker Agreements

Hi folks,

I have listed my boat, Odyssey, for sale by owner with a bunch of sources recently. However, I am considering listing her with a Broker to get more exposure. Up to now, I have only used a broker once to sell a previous boat (Catalina 30), and I ended up bringing him a buyer from Craig's List, so I didn't feel like I got my money's worth from him. I sold my second boat (Catalina 36) by myself without a broker, and so saved myself the fee.

Have any of you tried listing with a Broker with the option of selling it yourself? In other words, if I come up with a buyer on my own, can I get out of paying the Broker his full fee? Will a Broker even entertain this type of agreement? Also, is the 10% fee negotiable?

Thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks and cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 10:04   #2

Re: Selling My Boat - Broker Agreements

You want an open listing. Unfortunately, most brokers will not spend money advertising with that. I once discussed with a broker "if I brought the buyer would the fee be discounted by the amount they would have to pay the non listing broker". Made sense to me.
Like you, I'm not convinced a broker can sell a boat any faster than I can. Although there has been at least one instance where they did.. so not sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 13:20   #3

Boat: Irwin CC MKV 37

Hello, I have been reading/learning for a couple years as I have planned my move to cruise. Not much to contribute until now, maybe.Pulled the trigger June 29th, 81' Irwin 37 CC, having driven 7k mi. looking for the one. Looked at a dozen or so from Fl. Keys, Tampa, Gulfport, NOLA, Port Aransas and finally NC.
Thinking I would rather buy from owner than broker I looked at boats for sale by owner, friends of owner, friends of family when owner had passed and finally brokers. Found a broker to be most responsive to my phone calls, objective, knowledgeable and aware of market. My broker experience has been exceptional including service post sale. A good broker seems to be a good value for both buyer and seller. I was a skeptic
tonewrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 13:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi folks,

I have listed my boat, Odyssey, for sale by owner with a bunch of sources recently. However, I am considering listing her with a Broker to get more exposure. Up to now, I have only used a broker once to sell a previous boat (Catalina 30), and I ended up bringing him a buyer from Craig's List, so I didn't feel like I got my money's worth from him. I sold my second boat (Catalina 36) by myself without a broker, and so saved myself the fee.

Have any of you tried listing with a Broker with the option of selling it yourself? In other words, if I come up with a buyer on my own, can I get out of paying the Broker his full fee? Will a Broker even entertain this type of agreement? Also, is the 10% fee negotiable?

Thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks and cheers, Bill
You can probably find a broker who will put it on YW but not do much else. Not sure that is the best way to go about it as you will be competing with the broker.

Hopefully you will get lucky. If not and after two months or so of dealing with flakes, dreamers and scammers and after endless requests for "additional information" and "more photographs", not to mention showings and no shows, you might find a good broker to be useful.

But, again, you might get lucky.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 08:35   #5

Boat: Brewer 44

Hi, having both sold and bought a boat through a broker I can honestly say that if you get a good one its worth it. You will need to get it on yacht world and I believe only a broker can list it. Plus they will do all the pre-screening for you before they bring potential buyers to see your boat. It was worth my time.
bfiegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 09:27   #6
cruiser

You'd be foolish to think you can get more for your boat than a broker can get using world wide advertising on yachtworld. Plus, you'll waste so much time on dreamers. If I was a broker, I wouldn't take your listing if you planned on selling it yourself at the same time.

A good broker will earn his fee. You didn't save the fee when you sold your Catalina 36.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 15:35   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

And my buddy was just shown. Hurricane Sandy boat for sale by owner at the full price of similar boats that hadn't been declared totaled. He went to see the boat,a three day excursion got the hull number and looked it up. Needless to say he wasn't happy. He's now using a broker and found something for 40$ less in better shape.

Cruisers Sailing Forum va iPhone

Tags
men