Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 11:57   #121

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: Seller doesn't allow sea trial because the boat is not insure

I've bought all my boats without survey, then again I'm a pretty capable guy when it comes to all forms of repair be it mechanical or structural. Some great deals can be had and this could be one. Could be a nightmare too! If you don't feel capable of doing your own survey by all means pay to have one done. If he won't let a survey happen definitely forget it. I wouldn't pay more than $7k without leaving the dock. Yes it looks ok in the pics but like others said it isn't showing anything we need to see like the chain plates, engine room, cockpit, hull out of the water ect.

The biggest problem I see right off the back is the boat is an orphan. By that I mean it has no pedigree, the maker was a short lived producer that bought a mold and knocked out a few boats. This starts to raise flags immediately. It was the Challenger 35 at 13,800lbs. However these are listed as weighing 17000lbs!!! Still with the same weight (4200lbs) of ballast. I bet a Naval Architect wasn't consulted when the hull weight was increased. That's a heck of a difference for a bowsprit!

So they either used a bunch of chopped strand matte in the hull construction or lead lined bulkheads. There isn't any mention of what the ballast is. Originally for the Challenger it was lead, this doesn't say so probably cast iron casting scrapes, or lead shot, punches, wheel weights or scraps bound in resin (not too likely as resin was pricey) or cement (highly likely because it was cheap) or some other form of cheap stabilizing substance.

I have no problem taking risks buying boats that at least have some history to the brand that allow you to find out construction techniques and the quality of the original build. But even paying $7k for this thing that is nothing more than a big question mark, likely a slug to sail, dock queen, unknown/ no sea trial is a no go for me. Even if it turns out ok the engine works decently the sails are in good enough shape ect, when you go to sell it's still the same orphaned no name boat that was built 3,200lbs overweight! That's what I'd call morbidly obiese
Old 13-12-2016, 12:48   #122
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Marinas generally only require liability insurance, it is (thinly) possible that the owner has financial problems and doesn't carry full insurance, so he's scared to let a stranger take it out. But what could possibly be queer about a CL offering...or go wrong with it.(G) No sea trial, no problem. Just needs to start with a solid survey, and a written sale contract with an ESCROW ACCOUNT that will be large enough to cover whatever the sea trial DOES turn up. And there's almost always something. I knew a very impressive Westerbleak [sic] engine that ran perfectly...except it always overheated after 1/2 hour or so underload. You'd never find that at the dock. Betcha the seller wouldn't go for an escrow account, either.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 08:55   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post

The biggest problem I see right off the back is the boat is an orphan. By that I mean it has no pedigree, the maker was a short lived producer that bought a mold and knocked out a few boats. This starts to raise flags immediately. It was the Challenger 35 at 13,800lbs. However these are listed as weighing 17000lbs!!! Still with the same weight (4200lbs) of ballast. I bet a Naval Architect wasn't consulted when the hull weight was increased. That's a heck of a difference for a bowsprit!

So they either used a bunch of chopped strand matte in the hull construction or lead lined bulkheads. There isn't any mention of what the ballast is. Originally for the Challenger it was lead, this doesn't say so probably cast iron casting scrapes, or lead shot, punches, wheel weights or scraps bound in resin (not too likely as resin was pricey) or cement (highly likely because it was cheap) or some other form of cheap stabilizing substance.
That's something new I've just learned. Thank you for the good post.
rickykngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 10:02   #124
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Challenger it was lead, this doesn't say so probably cast iron casting scrapes, or lead shot, punches, wheel weights or scraps bound in resin (not too likely as resin was pricey) or cement (highly likely because it was cheap) or some other form of cheap stabilizing substance.
Excellent post. Sad but true and much more common than most realize. I saw an Island Packet keel opened up a few years ago, just as you describe (cement and scrap metal) including a damper plate that looked suspiciously like the one in my 1973 Chevy Nova.

Mind the small print in the brochure "Specifications subject to change without notice". Not the first time this has happened. How about C&C and Tartan advertising epoxy hulls then switching to polyester without telling anyone.