Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 08:59   #46

Re: Seller doesn't allow sea trial because the boat is not insure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykngo View Post
Thank you for all the inputs. I asked if I can come with a captain to sea trial and he said absolutely not. He doesn't want to waste mine and his time because he priced low already. Thanks.
If it were me I would run from it. Most marina's require insurance if that is where it is moored.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:04   #47

Boat: Hudson CC 51

There are many things that could show up with a long run time such as overheating, misalignment, bent or loose rudder, as well as transmission problems. etc..etc...etc...
With out a higher Rpm under load test you can not verify many factors which could end up costing thousands and alot of down time.
If it is a price to steal vessel and you are willing to take the chance that is up to you but purchase Boat US towing insurance before you leave the dock and be ready for break down.
Whenever I buy a used boat at a good price I assume the worst and usually get it.
If you present yourself as a serious buyer you are entitled to a test ride and the ability to have it surveyed or drop %40 of list price minimum.
I checked out a car for a girlfriend while young and trusting and the seller would not let me take it on the expressway because it had no tag or insurance. I drove it around a bit and all seemed well. After purchase we took it on the expressway and found immense vibration over 55mph. It had a bent trans axle. It cost me $600 to have it replaced for her.
Buyer Beware. If something seems unusual walk away
Rick Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:04   #48

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

ok a more serious response than my last one that said fishy.

if u really think the boat is in good shape, then make a low offer and just say "hey, you won't take it off the dock, so I'm assuming a bunch of risk here. I can't pay more without mitigating the risk somehow."

remember, if u buy the boat, most marinas will make you "re-check" the boat. they have you tie it up at the office dock, check everything out, re-measure, etc. Most marinas won't let you get a tow, you're supposed to have a functioning boat that meets all the USCG requirements, as well as any local laws.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07   #49

Boat: Baba 40

Suggest an engine guy to look at that, since most surveyors won't. Cheap instance in the long run.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07   #50

Quote:
Yeah, I'm gonna do that see what he says. But I think someone is coming to see his boat at 4:30 because he mistakenly called me if I'm the guy coming at 4:30. Thanks.

That smells fishy, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:08   #51

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

As others have posted, it's not that a sea trial is ultra-revealing although ours really helped reinforce our decision. What is huge is that this guy refuses. That makes it a deal breaker. No question he is hiding something and this boat has some big problems that may not even show up in a survey. Game over, man.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:11   #52

Boat: Former owner of a Jeanneau Sun Fizz, a 41 ft sloop and a Dufour CT12000, a 45 ft ketch motorsailor

Don't buy any larger boat without a survey. In my experience, the cost of the survey will not cost you anything because they always find something to fix which gives you a reason to negotiate the price down. Good luck. Captain Denis
Captain Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13   #53
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
I've asked to sea trial with my captain, but the seller responded with a tone that he absolutely don't want it sea trial.
So it could be that he is hiding something, or it could be that he just wants somebody to buy it with no hassle nor any of his time wasted.

He could just be tired of tire kickers with no money that wouldn't recognize a peach staring them squarely in the face.

Anyone who values their time and has other things to do, will not offer a sea trial without an offer in writing and reasonable deposit, up front. It will not thwart a serious prospective purchaser, but it will thwart a tire kicker looking for a free ride.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:19   #54

Boat: Grampian 26

How can it be docked if it has no insurance? Marinas/clubs would not allow that. It sounds like he's trying to hide something.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:20   #55

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

[QUOTE=CaptTom;2275960]The sea trial won't tell you as much as you think. A good survey, and a low-ball offer to cover those things you can't test without getting underway, and you might have a great boat there.[

X2 if you are really interested. Make the low ball low and tell them why!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:21   #56

Quote:
Thank you for all the inputs. I asked if I can come with a captain to sea trial and he said absolutely not. He doesn't want to waste mine and his time because he priced low already. Should I get a mechanic surveyor or a boat surveyor and what kind of problem can he find in the engine when it's not run in sea trial? Is it a waste of money for a surveyor because it seems fishy? Thanks.
As they said in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, run away!

Click image for larger version

Name:	holy-grail.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	137740
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:22   #57

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Denis View Post
Don't buy any larger boat without a survey. In my experience, the cost of the survey will not cost you anything because they always find something to fix which gives you a reason to negotiate the price down. Good luck. Captain Denis
The only issues my surveyor found on the boat we bought were expired flares and a non functioning GFCI receptacle. The PO took good care of the boat.

Eight years later, there have been no issues other than normal wear and tear.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:23   #58

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I'm a risk taker so I was in the camp "a good survey and a lower offer" until I read about the phone call about the 4.30 appointment. When I was in real estate many realtors would do this to create a sense of urgency if they had a fish (potential buyer who wouldn't commit) who wouldn't take the bait. "Oops, did I call you by mistake? Disregard, I was trying to get the OTHER buyer". I don't know about this boat but I'm pretty sure you were being played. Caution....

Sent from my SM-T550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-12-2016, 09:26   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Denis View Post
good point. thanks
rickykngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36   #60

Boat: 1975 CT-41

I bought a similar boat for a similar price a few years ago. I expected to replace almost everything and ended up replacing pretty much everything, including chain plate brackets, engine and so on. The end result turned out great. Been cruising for 5000 miles now. If you go into it expecting to replace everything but the lead in the keel you can end up with a strong classic boat. If you think a boat like that is going to be seaworthy without big $$, you will probably be very disappointed.
Briandownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote