Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 09:19   #46

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Seeking wisdom about the C&C 44

I have an 90 gallon water tank and added a 20 gallon tank that I fill with a watermaker then pump it into the 90 gallon tank which feeds the galley and head, I have a 110 volt powered 40 gal an hour water maker so it takes 1/2 hour of gen time every 2-3 days or 1 hour if a group is aboard.

I wouldn't want to ever rely on large tanks, so I rely on a watermaker which has never let me down........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:40   #47

I recently brought a c&c landfall 43 in nz so far she has been great had 6 of us away for the week and it never seemed to busy. Had a great spinnaker run on her to.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dannyround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:51   #48

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwizz54 View Post
I'm in the process of looking for my next boat - having severe problems living back on solid ground - and am starting to take a serious look at the C&C 44s. From the research I've done to date, they seem to be well built, sound seaworthy boats with good sailing performance and they do appear to have sufficient living space. The purpose of the boat will be to live aboard (yes, just me most of the time), to take short trips (both with crew and single-handed and, soon enough, to disappear over the horizon and do some serious cruising.

As there are, to my best knowledge, none of these boats available here in Australia, I'm looking to purchase one wherever it happens to be. There are several for sale at the moment in various locations.

So, to my question... Having no experience with this type of boat, I'd like to seek advice from those who do know about them. Let me start this discussion with a specific question:

What are the common problems to be found with the C&C 44s?

Thanks in advance,
David

And another here:

Jordan Yacht And Ship Co. (Fort Lauderdale, FL)&

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 06:05   #49

This is the wife of Pineridge speaking. Just to add to comments re the C&C 41 and 44, they don't usually come with big engines so when in a strong current, etc. you might have issues when motoring. Also, the scuppers are not large so if you take a wave in the cockpit, it does not drain fast enough to my liking. They are both great sailing boats as we have owned both but we sold our beautiful 1988 C&C 44 two years ago as our plan is to go offshore and live aboard. The aft cabin on the C&C 44, while beautiful, does not have the ventilation one needs back there, especially if the boat is going south to the Caribbean. I prefer the V berth with a big hatch or two. Water tankage would be another issue unless you have a watermaker but then, must have room to put it somewhere. I think we carried 60 gal. of water. Also fuel tankage would be an issue. Although most can make sacrifices if you want something bad enough but if I am going to live offshore, I prefer to be self-sufficient with all the comforts of home. Had a Beneteau Idylle 51 back in the year 2000 and it was, to my mind, the perfect boat for offshore living and sailing. Bought it in the BVI's and sailed it to Toronto. Paid all the duties and taxes only to turn around 5 mths later and sail it back south to Naples, Florida where my husband was transferred to. Sad thing was, the waters were too shallow for this boat so ended up selling it. Wish we still had it today.
Pineridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 09:26   #50

Boat: Adams 40

Thanks for your positive comments, Mrs Pineridge.

Strangely my investigations into the 44 have brought me to look very seriously at a C&C 45 which was built purely as a blue water racer but has had a makeover so that she now can be used as a cruiser. Still have the tankage problems... about to look at water maker to solve the water shortage and looking into the fuel issue as well.

Satisfied with safety and seaworthiness matters. Spent plenty of time with Rob Ball who knows the boat well and not at all concerned with performance when loaded for cruising. All reports as to her sea-kindliness indicate that that's acceptable. Anything else that concerns me can be altered to suit.

Trying to sort out scheduling so I can head over to check her out. Will keep everyone informed.
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 10:06   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwizz54 View Post
. about to look at water maker to solve the water shortage
Watermakers? Look up Rich Boren and "tellie" on this very forum.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 10:19   #52

Boat: Adams 40

Thanks Stu. I'll do that.
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:52   #53

It's been a while... any updates!!!
Drakenkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 14:41   #54

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm also a C&C fan. But I want pilot berths (for crew/kids) and shallow draft. Then this C&C40 came up locally at a decent price:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/mus...ard/1309779382

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ujHqIahIYUsDn-

I'm very tempted. But in doing my research found out that its a cored hull...thats a big red flag on an older boat.

Comments and opinions are welcome and invited. I'm lovin this boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (2).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	160235   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	160236  

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	160237   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (3).JPG
Views:	146
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	160238  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 14:53   #55

Actually from what ive been told and seen the cored hulls are usually pretty good and fairly simple to fix if it's a small area...
The deck can be another story... fixing leaky deck fitying is fine but having to replace large areas is something I wouldn't want to tackle...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:44   #56

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakenkade View Post
It's been a while... any updates!!!
From looking at his Avatar, it looks like his taste in boats evolved a bit and he got an Adams 40, which is a steel hulled sailboat built in Australia. I wasn't familiar with them so looked online and it appears that they are good, solid cruisers but with wide variation in how they were finished. It would be great to see pix of the boat the OP ended up with!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:38   #57

Ya for sure!
Im currently looking at a C&C but trying hard to be objective as well... but damn they are sexy boats...lol
Old 10-03-2020, 17:33   #58

Sorry about dragging up an old thread but it's exactly about a subject that is important to me. I like a lot about the bigger C&Cs, Speed, stability, a boat that can turn n burn and soooo sexy. If I understand correctly the 37/40, 41, 44 all use baby forestays and running Backstays. Does this prevent carrying a dingy on deck? If the baby stay is balanced by backstays can it carry the load of a storm sail? perhaps reenforce the foot of the babystay?. I can not find a link to a active C&C owners forum, linky anyone plz?
NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 18:48   #59

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

In addition to all the good points made about these big C&C speed machines, I LOVE the layout below (on most). Huge quarter berth, big chart table, and especially the upper pilot berths on both sides...these are great for crew and kids. I've been searching for upper berths like these on a smaller boat. Sparkman&Stevens designs often have these, like on the (older) Swan 48. These bunks make so much sense and a great use of the beam...much better than a transverse dinette I'll never use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6514144_20171101111142042_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	210446   Click image for larger version

Name:	6514144_20171101111156728_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	210447  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 22:06   #60

Boat: Ontario 32

Hello Dave,
The active C&C Owners forum can be found at C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

You can find answers to many questions there, or make contact with current owners. I have raced C&C's for the last 45 years and been a C&C owner for 35 years, through 3 different boats. I have faith in their design and quality of construction, although the company had its ups and downs in its later years.
PerfectPirate is offline   Reply With Quote