Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 02:38   #16

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: Seeking Advice for Suitable Boat and Happiness at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Have you considered a Nauticat?
A new Nauticat 37 should fit your budget, is easily manageable by a couple, and will serve you equally well in both Baltic and Caribbean seas. Cross the Atlantic too. It may be a little too small for a family of four, but when something breaks up, you will be glad it is not a 50-footer. Or you can go for a slightly used "42."
Actually, I had not. I remembered Nauticats from my childhood and they used to be motorsailors that "real" sailors dreaded. Now I see the newer ones are not, so I will take a look. Thank you!
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 02:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkjbnz View Post
What alternatives to production boats would you suggest?

Richard
Steamer sent these to my inbox as examples:

A42-2001 - OCEANICA
D50-2007 - OCEANICA
Old 30-07-2015, 02:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Maybe a cat. A lagoon 400 or FP. Pick one up new in France for around 300K, export it within 6 months so no vat payable. Take a look at the Atlantic odyssey as a good alternative to the arc.
Thanks!

The Lagoon 400 looks beautiful from a interior/living perspective (my better half agrees), but from what very little I've sailed cats (I think it was a Lagoon 380), I'm a but unsure of the sailing part.

The polars stop at 50 deg, which implies that upwind sailing might be a bit frustrating.

Sailing here close to home in the Baltic Sea most harbours are fitted for monohulls (and are quite crowded during high season), so I'm a bit worried about finding space as well as docking costs as well.

Hopefully I will get the chance to try one in the near future.

Thanks again for the Atlantic Odyssey tip!
Old 30-07-2015, 04:37   #19
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkjbnz View Post
What alternatives to production boats would you suggest?

Richard
There are way many alternatives to build/purchase good boat if the words like "Bene..." and similar are not anchored in ones mind.

I myself will never pay that level asking money for the boat built out of 3rd-class materials just because the yard is marketed on every pillar around marinas & boat-shows.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 05:50   #20
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

My priorities in a live-aboard sailing vessel? Water, food, fuel capacity, Internet access (for business), laundry, storage, reliability, back-up systems, and ease of sailing single-handed. Not to mention, "SPACE"! My wife and I are currently eying mono-hull vessels 58-64 feet in length.
Gaft,Port!

Any interst in 64-ft 2008 built in alu 3-cabins ketch rigged lady @ asking Eur 780k, pls?

PM for dets.

Krgds /
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy mglonnro!

Welcome to posting in the forum.

Since you have a good sized budget (200k- 500K Euro), you should have many different types of boats from which to choose (new or used).

My Simple Suggestion: Go to the following link and spend some time reading the interesting articles and posts and views of boats that are relatively new (or new) and generally made and sold in Europe. The blog is written by one of our CF members and he has much information about boats that are seldom or rarely or never seen in most USA ports. Interesting Sailboats

I happen to like more traditional boats, but also appreciate the desire to not be stuck in a cave.

I second the suggestion to look at the entire line of Nauticat boats. There are several that are not the "Traditional Motorsailor" style (one of the styles they build, and upon which their 1970s and 1980s reputation was built).

Look at the pilot house seating areas in those boats. Some are VERY nice and have much natural light. The interiors are very well thought out for cruising and live aboard, with good storage etc. Most of the boats have powerful engines too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 18:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Cool and thank you! I'm a bit curious. Can you send a link to one of the vessels you are interested in?
Sure, no problem, and my apologies for this belated reply. We are currently eying "used" Little Harbor monohulls (Ted Hood designed, and no longer being made). Not for the "faint-of-wallet", mind you, and possibly much more than you two wish to spend, yet we refuse to be "camping crampt" when living aboard for months on end.

The first is "Carmella", a 1989 58-foot twin-cabin. Absolutely perfect for our personal needs. With generator, AC, and that fridge/freezer capacity, why suffer with less? The current owner, and the broker, provide a good rundown in the video.

Photo link: 1989 Little Harbor Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Video:

The second is "Final Furlong", a 1987 63-foot twin mast. Very similar to Carmella, yet substantially less money.

Link: 1987 Little Harbor Little Harbor 63 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

As I mentioned, we prefer not to “rough it” (aka, camping at sea). We've thought long and hard about this subject, and have watched numerous videos of folks living aboard and doing without. Personally, I want a big generator, huge fridge/freezer capacity, washer/dryer, air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, hot showers, water maker, SPACE to move around, full-time Internet access (required for business), a great nav station with all the latest electronics, big water and fuel tanks, BBQ steaks, and ice in my Scotch.

Now cresting 50, I have little interest in living a “camper’s life”, be it at sea or on land. Size wise, 58’-64’ LOA and a 16’ beam should suffice. Cost per month? Whatever it takes to be happy is our rule. We all check out sooner or later.

Fair winds, and good luck with your hunt.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 23:02   #23

They are beautiful.
Old 31-07-2015, 19:00   #24

Quote:
They are beautiful.
Yes, indeed, they are! The interior design and woodwork are just my cup of tea. I'm often fascinated with the amount of money people spend on new monohulls with interiors that look like an Ikea catalog. Most cats are the same, or at least very similar. They all look astonishingly cheap to me. Like a bad business hotel. Our money will be placed on real teak, holly, and mahogany, not flimsy veneers and particle board. However, that level of craftsmanship and attention to detail comes at a price.

I look at it this way. Do I want to live in a nice house, or a room in a business hotel? To each, his/her own.

Here's another nice Little Harbor currently up for grabs (there are others):

Old 31-07-2015, 23:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yes, indeed, they are! The interior design and woodwork are just my cup of tea. I'm often fascinated with the amount of money people spend on new monohulls with interiors that look like an Ikea catalog. Most cats are the same, or at least very similar. They all look astonishingly cheap to me. Like a bad business hotel. Our money will be placed on real teak, holly, and mahogany, not flimsy veneers and particle board. However, that level of craftsmanship and attention to detail comes at a price.

I look at it this way. Do I want to live in a nice house, or a room in a business hotel? To each, his/her own.
To each, his/her own, indeed. I'm not a fan of flimsy veneers, but if I can have that style without the flimsiness (maybe not an option ), I would choose that over traditional teak/mahogany. The light colours and light wood feels like home to me.

Attached pic of my home and a boat interior (I would remove the carpet) to prove or disprove my point .

Old 01-08-2015, 20:45   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Living on a boat is different from pleasure sailing or short term pleasure cruising. It also requires a different set of priorities. I always liked the performance boats I had but when I had to look for a true liveaboard for our family I had to change my perspective. I now own a 47 foot center cockpit boat because it sails well and has the creature comforts and amenities required to be our home on the water. Generator, watermaker, long distance communications, comfortable living quarters, real matresses and it sails well too. I also have a wife and two children who have their needs, which drives the criteria for the type of boat we really need. What could you live with long term?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:28   #27

Quote:
To each, his/her own, indeed. I'm not a fan of flimsy veneers, but if I can have that style without the flimsiness (maybe not an option ), I would choose that over traditional teak/mahogany. The light colours and light wood feels like home to me.

Attached pic of my home and a boat interior (I would remove the carpet) to prove or disprove my point .

I see where you're coming from. Nice home. Was that move-in day? Where's the espresso machine?

That ocean cruiser needs some handrails, don't chya think? That's one thing I like about the Ted Hood designs. Function (i.e., sailing) comes with the form (design). Waves can sometimes toss a boat around.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:38   #28
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I hear that mg! Here's our homes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1438526260.548158.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	106526Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1438526273.765798.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	106527
No real need for handrails in either
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:42   #29

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

In Southern California we sometimes need hand rails in our boats and our homes.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
In Southern California we sometimes need hand rails in our boats and our homes.

S/V B'Shert
Haha I was tossed 3 feet off my bed at 4:30 AM when the Northridge quake hit Culver City (LA) in '94. Handrails would NOT have helped.