Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 17:42   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to sardasarda
Re: Seeking Advice: buying a family cruiser

Thanks to all and I promise to learn how to reply properly so it is not out of order!
sardasarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:00   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardasarda
Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping to not hear a bunch of horror stories about buying a charter boat! I plan to find a broker to act for me, the buyer, and then interview some surveyors.
Friend of mine just bought a sun odyssey 36 off charter. Stepped on, hoisted sails and enjoyed. Boat needed nothing to get going.

For what you describe, you actually want a charter boat. Buy a 5-6 yeor old charter boat and you shouldn't have to do anything major for 4-5 years.

You may have a bit of trouble getting 40ft+ for $75k but who knows. My buddy paid something like $70k for his.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:18   #18

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
Re: Seeking Advice: Buying a Family Cruiser

Hi all

(I hope not to interfere here though)

I am in the same situation as Sardasarda, my wife wants us to upgrade.

I also believe that as long as the brokerage is a big firm the boats should be well maintained.

For me the Cyclades 43 2005/6 has a really nice design, but the question to the experts is "would this boat qualify as a blue water cruiser??"

Regards
Andres
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:40   #19

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Sardasarda,
You don't mention where on Cape Cod you are based, but, if you're interested in exploring the south side, the less draft you have, the better. You can carry six feet into places like North Bay, Cotuit, but your heart may be in your mouth. With kids, accessing some of those quiet, warm water bays can be the difference between successful excursions and meltdowns.

There are plenty of local boats in the Beneteau, Jeanneau, Hunter, Catalina group that should meet your needs for living space and lack of brightwork. You can burn a lot of dollars traveling and then eat into your kitty getting the boat home. I'd also suggest that, if you're looking to spend $75K, you should feel comfortable looking at boats offered at up to $100K. The market is soft and those yard fees are adding up for some owners. We bought our current boat last year with the help of a broker who I'm happy to recommend if you're interested.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:50   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
I'd also suggest that, if you're looking to spend $75K, you should feel comfortable looking at boats offered at up to $100K.

I wil second this. You should always consider looking at boats listed for at least up to 30% more than what you are wiling to spend and then offer less. keep in mind this also normally gets you a newer boat that saves money is items needing replacing.

Tags
buying, cruiser, family