Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 18:05   #76

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

You're original quote is:
"Flicka - too small (if she is 20 as the name suggests)"

This infers that you knew nothing about the boat, and used Wikipedia and Google since to brush up on her.
Sailboatdata, actually.

And your inference is wrong - I have seen a couple of Flickas. Off course, seeing is not knowing. But I have never claimed knowing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:04   #77

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Cal 27 or 2-27? I think a family from Long Island, NY tricked out a 2-27 and sailed it a long distance offshore and along shore. Early 80s, if memory serves?

Welcome to the boat owners club. Don't forget to join the boat users club.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 22:35   #78

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Cal 27 or 2-27? I think a family from Long Island, NY tricked out a 2-27 and sailed it a long distance offshore and along shore. Early 80s, if memory serves?

Welcome to the boat owners club. Don't forget to join the boat users club.
Cals are nice boats! My Cal29 was solid and fast. The Bil Lapworth designed Cals are regarded well within the sailing community.

I believed the Cal 27 was a Lapworth design and the Cal 27-2 was designed by someone else. Anyone feel free to correct me if wrong.
Old 18-05-2010, 04:38   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattcatdaddy View Post
... I believed the Cal 27 was a Lapworth design and the Cal 27-2 was designed by someone else. Anyone feel free to correct me if wrong.
According to:
CAL 27 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
The Cal 27 was the first in a series of 3 Cal 27s, all designed by Lapworth, and all completely different boats.
(The later versions are generally referred to as CAL 2-27, and CAL 3-27.)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 05:44   #80

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
There is a Bristol Channel Cutter (28) on Yachtworld right now in San Raphel, Calif for asking 43K. This may be outside the budget a bit, but by the time you bring most of the discussed boats up to the BBC standard for ocean crossing I suspect you will be in that neighborhood anyway. And you will get your money out, and you will be safe with good seamanship practices.

The BCC wrote the book. More circumnavigations than be counted with BCC's
Old 18-05-2010, 08:07   #81

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
by the time you bring most of the discussed boats up to the BBC standard for ocean crossing I suspect you will be in that neighborhood anyway...
Since many smaller cruisers find themselves in this size because of money concerns, this is probably something that most would-be micro cruisers need to consider carefully – although this whole class of vessels is probably suspect to those who require more boat (for whatever reason), there are several smaller vessels that can be made ready for heavier water than the original manufacturer intended; however (big “however”), if the original manufacturer didn’t build in the right sized rigging, sails, structural bullheads, tankage, storage etc., berths, etc., etc… then someone will have to and it ain’t free – although sweat equity can keep the actual cash costs much lower (by as much as 50%, I’d estimate) if the skipper has the time and skills, or is patient enough to learn them.

There are several resources that should allow a potential DIY refitter to assess what might be required and whether they are likely to be successful; John Vigor’s, Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat as well as his Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere; as well as Paul Butlers golden little guide titled Upgrading Your Small Sailboat for Cruisingplus the DVD How to Equip a Trailer-Sailor for Ocean Cruising are a few useful basics that should help a potential skipper decide whether the DIY route is actually worth contemplating… Excepting techno-gizmos (which are a complete mystery to me) very little on smaller boats is rocket science, nor inhumanly demanding either to repair or upgrade, which can save buckets of money for the cash strapped skipper – but the idea is to do the refurbishing onshore at one’s leisure, not while weathering something labeled force 10…
Old 23-05-2010, 08:55   #82

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I would never own a fin keel boat, especially one with an 'independently' hung rudder. I ran over net lines and other junk offshore with my schooner and was always happy that my rudder attached directly to my long straight keel. I cannot imagine the nightmare of being tied to an old net line in the middle of the night with the line caught between fin and rudder. I like Pete Culler's description of the weekend sailor spending hundreds of dollars trying to get his marconi rig halyards untangled from the masthead. I do love a gaff rig, which is easy to build and repair. It all depends on what you are looking for, I guess. I nearly bought a Contessa 26 for 7k here in Bellingham a few months ago, despite her marconi rig, because she is such a fantastic little boat. But to live aboard I like to be able to stand up, and even my short 5'8" was too much for the Contessa's interior. But if I wanted a boat to simply sail around the world, Contessa would be high on my list for inexpensive, ready to go boats. I agree with the suggestion of atomvoyages.com, for it is FULL of excellent info from a very competent sailor. The Triton has always been high on my list, as has her sister, the Alberg 30. There are good boats out there, if you like a marconi rig, to be had pretty cheaply. Low aspect rig, no big windows, full keel with attached rudder, tiller steering, and if under 30', no motor or use an outboard.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 09:47   #83

And I do not think a boat has to be up to BBC, BCC, CBC, CNN or any other standards to safely venture offshore. Such standards can be guidelines (but do not try this with EC standards ...).But a safe boat does not have to meet any standards. It has to be WELL DESIGNED, WELL BUILT and well maintained. Then well prepared (this includes a well prepared skipper that i.a. understands why the standards are there).

Like what if there are no standards we are stupid and do not know a good boat from a bad one?

Then just cast the lines and go, come standards or high water.

b.
Old 23-05-2010, 16:04   #84

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
There is a Bristol Channel Cutter (28) on Yachtworld right now in San Raphel, Calif for asking 43K. This may be outside the budget a bit, but by the time you bring most of the discussed boats up to the BBC standard for ocean crossing I suspect you will be in that neighborhood anyway. And you will get your money out, and you will be safe with good seamanship practices.

The BCC wrote the book. More circumnavigations than be counted with BCC's
There is another one in Maryland for 75K, one of the Canadian built ones. I believe the one in CA is only a hull.

I will reiterate. If I had no money and wanted a small boat to circumnavigate, my first choice would be a Cape Dory 25D.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 16:48   #85

Hands down, for a "Seaworthy" boat in that range it's a Nor'Sea 27 or a BCC!

See our web site for details on our Nor'Sea. Jill and I have been living aboard for MANY years.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 02:12   #86

Boat: Carter 33
A Top Hat is an option. I have just sold one I've owned for a few years. Excellent in terms of seaworthiness;

Although I think UK and Australian - Top Hat Yachts will give you some info. Otherwise, glass folkboats are very similar!

Happy searching.
fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
I am looking to buy a seaworthy, bluewater pocket cruiser (25-27 feet). No longer than 28. I might be doing lots of single-handling and I hope to sail around the world eventually on this boat. My comfort needs are low, but I want something safe.

As far as seaworthy goes, I recognize that no boat is perfectly safe and that almost any boat could cross the Pacific or Atlantic with enough luck. I just want to find a boat on the safer end of the spectrum.

Some boats on the market in my area (LA to Santa Barbara) are a '69 Ericson 26 (Crealock design), '79 Ericson 25, Coronado 25, '71 Columbia 26 MK II, Cape Dory 25, Islander Excalibur 26...

Your thoughts on these boats as well as other boats that I should keep my eyes open for?

- Jay
Jay,

Consider the Cascade 27 or 29. advertised as a "bullet proof" boat. There are several stories on the "net" of C 29 circumnavigator's. One story, I don't remember the name, had a single hander on a C29 hitting a heavy cargo ship and still able to limp into port for repairs. I'd say that's a good representation of "bullet proof".

Fair Winds -

Southbound
Southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 01:17   #88

Boat: Westerly 22 Nomad "Imagine"
Send a message via Skype™ to kennykeyboards
i just saw a cape dory 25 for sale in eugene oregon at skookum marine talk to scott.
kennykeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:38   #89

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
1986 Channel Cutter Yachts Bristol Channel Cutter-Lyle Hess BCC 28 Sail Boat
1997 Martin Heard Falmouth Working Boat/Bristol Channel Cutter Sail Boat For Sale

You guys want a pocket cruiser, here are affordable examples of the best ever built.
Old 16-09-2010, 06:44   #90

BCC a POCKET cruiser ???

Sure a sweet boat, but hardly a pocket cruiser, and for hardly any pocket ...

barnie

Tags
pocket cruiser, seaworthy, blue water sailing