Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 06:45   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If 4ft 9 Headroom does not bother you you could always go for a Hurley 22 with a built in keel so no bolts to fret about... they're cheap at around $5-7000 for a reasonably good one and as I found during a December Biscay crossing... very capable... just fit a support post from below the deck mounted mast to the keel... easy job..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 07:03   #62

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
pocket cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
I am looking to buy a seaworthy, bluewater pocket cruiser (25-27 feet). No longer than 28. I might be doing lots of single-handling and I hope to sail around the world eventually on this boat. My comfort needs are low, but I want something safe.

As far as seaworthy goes, I recognize that no boat is perfectly safe and that almost any boat could cross the Pacific or Atlantic with enough luck. I just want to find a boat on the safer end of the spectrum.

Some boats on the market in my area (LA to Santa Barbara) are a '69 Ericson 26 (Crealock design), '79 Ericson 25, Coronado 25, '71 Columbia 26 MK II, Cape Dory 25, Islander Excalibur 26...

Your thoughts on these boats as well as other boats that I should keep my eyes open for?

- Jay
Have a look at the DANA 24 a great little ship
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 13:45   #63

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Slowshoes,

Thanks for the reply (and also for being careful not to hurt my feelings.) I know that my boat was built more for weekend sailing or light coastal cruising. I can´t help but entertain the fantasy of taking her as far as she´ll let me, but I am sure your assessment is correct.

Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:22   #64

Boat: Hans Christian 33
PSC Orion 27
Liberty 28
Twister 28

All have good tankage and are sea kind. Having sailed personally the twister I can say it is quite some boat, most are uk based though...

Jon
Jon Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:29   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3r3my View Post
Fisher 25 - Ketch and Pilot house. Can use rudder or wheel. My dream boat.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009...United-Kingdom

I re rigged one of the fisher 25's with a mast 3ft higher and fitted a 5ft bowsprit which gave a bigger for triangle bu******r you should feel the difference she could realy fly for a heavy fishingboat hull and with the wheelhouse winter sailing is a pleasure
Old 01-04-2010, 09:31   #66

small

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If 4ft 9 Headroom does not bother you you could always go for a Hurley 22 with a built in keel so no bolts to fret about... they're cheap at around $5-7000 for a reasonably good one and as I found during a December Biscay crossing... very capable... just fit a support post from below the deck mounted mast to the keel... easy job..
Hey boatman61 I see you and I have sailed some of the bigger little yachts and dont they perform well. I have said many times you dont have to have a million dollar buget to sail long distances just the right big little yacht its all in the designe
Old 01-04-2010, 14:34   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
Hey boatman61 I see you and I have sailed some of the bigger little yachts and dont they perform well. I have said many times you dont have to have a million dollar buget to sail long distances just the right big little yacht its all in the designe
They sure do... tho' I find the Hurley 22 a fair bit stiffer than the
Corribee 21.. find the Corribee a bit too skittish for Biscay heavy weather.. that heavier ballast makes a difference... and they are faster to boot... H22...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57   #68

small is big

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Most boats are Ocean Crossing capable if reasonably well built... (many will disagree and quote their idea of the perfect boat)... just choose the right times of year, be prepared to reef down earlier than one might when going Coastal where potential rescuers are close at hand... skip the Macho ****... treat your boat with love and kindness.. don't push the limits.. as a matter of fact... don't even come close to them. Don't set a time schedule... your not on land.. there's different forces out there that you cannot beat.. only survive.
Make sure its got adequate clean water storage capability... that's more important than food... it'll keep you alive.
The next is water tightness.. nothing induces depression quicker than being cold and wet... outside it goes with the territory.. inside is another matter... wet bedding and clothes for days on end is a soul killer and they never really dry till they're soaked well in fresh water... so make sure any/all deck/portlight/hatches are leak-proofed.
Next is your buying technique... Personally I scan both sides of the Atlantic for possibles... save the pages to my comp.. then when the time comes.. calculate travel costs + asking price + boat budget to survive initially.. compare it to what I have then delete accordingly... weigh up remaining boats comparing equipment and storage capability.... delete some more.. then jump on a plane with a coupla bags.. fly to where the boat is, buy it and start traveling.
Now I'm a LOW BUDGET sailor.. my current boat cost me $3000, the one before $2500.. both took me across the Biscay, one did it in December.. not the best time of year but an awesome sail.. This is important if you want to sail sooner rather than later.. larger choice, often cheaper than where you live... and if your not fussy about which Ocean you start on... perfect.
Currently my 21ft boats up for sale.. if I get my price I'll fly to the US and pick up something between $4-7K that's seaworthy and livable on.. basics OK with me.. don't need the AC/Fridge etc.. I'm a 61 going on 16 sorta guy... camping is fun.. really...
Boats on my list on the east coast US are CD25, Tartan 27, Pearson 27, Maxi 27, Grampian 30... all under 7k, 70% 5k or under..
If I don't get my price I'll fly to the UK, get another cheapie a metre longer than this one and sail back down here where boats are more expensive... till I get enough to get me over there.. really fancy another winter in the Carib's.. and another West/East passage..
Some here will say the above's a recipe for suicide.. if that's true I'm a bloody bad chef.. aint got it right yet... lol.. but I've known bigger and better prepared boats founder through over confidence in sea's I've been passing through at the same time... the boat didn't let them down.. they let the boat down.
All round the World boats turn up abandoned.. no sign of crew... My motto is when the waters up to my knees and I'm standing on the 'button' (top of the mast), that's when I get off the boat.. boats are amazingly resilient if treated well..
Hey Boatman61 did my circumnav in a westerley Sirius 23.6ft changed the rig to a standing lug sail so I could take down the mast in the realy rough stuff. removed the sliding hatch and built an alu door that could be shut inside or out loads of other stuff and the total cost was £2650 35000miles later and 43 months I sold the boat to some one that wanted to do the same thing got £165 more than I paid for her so happy me. As you say men founder boats not boats founder men.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Hey Boatman61 did my circumnav in a westerley Sirius 23.6ft changed the rig to a standing lug sail so I could take down the mast in the realy rough stuff. removed the sliding hatch and built an alu door that could be shut inside or out loads of other stuff and the total cost was £2650 35000miles later and 43 months I sold the boat to some one that wanted to do the same thing got £165 more than I paid for her so happy me. As you say men founder boats not boats founder men.
The Westerlies are another marque of sailboat I've a lot of time for.. of the 5 30+ ftrs I've had, my Westerly Longbow was the one I felt most secure in.. the Beneteau's were great but that Westerly felt really solid in big sea's.. and so easy to single hand.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:34   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
FeelsGood.... lol.. isn't it 'Magic' when it all comes together...
Bet it was the best money you ever spent pound for pound....
Nice one..

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36   #71

Unless cost is no object, it will be hard to beat a Triton or her younger sister an Ariel. I have, and am happy with, a Westerly Pageant, a Giles design, that's the biggest 23 foot boat you'll ever go on, but you don't see many for sale in the USA. There are plenty of Tritons around - many can be had for a song - and they are good sailers. If a Triton won't go someplace, you probably shouldn't be going there.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:55   #72

Boat: 34' custom steel cutter
Cascade 27

You might consider a Cascade 27. This is an older design fin keel that were built in Portland, Oregon. Typically, the factory would sell the hull and deck bonded but the owner would finish it. Most were set up with an outboard for the auxiliary but some had diesels installed below. Mine had a seven horse Ferryman single cylinder and burned a pint of fuel an hour in calm weather!

This boat sails very well and is pretty seaworthy. I rode out Hurricane Marty and sailed a variety of tough weather (25 - 35 knots) in the Sea of Cortez in mine. It might be on the light side for true ocean passages, but it is excellent for coastal cruising.
Les Bechdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 22:37   #73

From the OP... Thanks for all the boat ideas. The more seaworthy boats seem to be mostly out of my price range or in a different corner of the globe, and I cannot take off work until the end of June. I was so excited to get a boat to start practicing on that I bought a 1974 Cal 27 last weekend. I am really happy with it and plan to do a lot of coastal cruising this summer.
jbosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:32   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hey..nice one... she'll do you proud for now and maybe longer...
depending on how the two of you get on together... treat her well or else you'll find a very unforgiving side to her when things suddenly stop working or break...
Efficient functioning gear far out weighs shiny plastic n paint...
Enjoy the ADVENTURE.......

Old 04-04-2010, 15:07   #75
Armchair Bucketeer

Yeah, nice one

Post some pics up when you have time
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket cruiser, seaworthy, blue water sailing