Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2010, 08:23   #16

What are some thoughts on the Ericsons as trans-oceanic vessels?
jbosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 08:32   #17

Also, what about the Catalina 27?
jbosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 09:00   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Pacific Seacraft 25. Not a lot for comfort but not bad enough for me to sell mine. The boat is built like a tank and with carefully thought out layout. Double ended so good seakeeping. Short stout mast and heavy standing rigging. Tiller steered and diesel powered(mostly). Mine has been across the Pacific and back and survived being thrown ashore by a hurricane in Texas. I love my little boat but would trade her straight across for a Dana anytime...........m
Old 24-03-2010, 09:21   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Most boats are Ocean Crossing capable if reasonably well built... (many will disagree and quote their idea of the perfect boat)... just choose the right times of year, be prepared to reef down earlier than one might when going Coastal where potential rescuers are close at hand... skip the Macho ****... treat your boat with love and kindness.. don't push the limits.. as a matter of fact... don't even come close to them. Don't set a time schedule... your not on land.. there's different forces out there that you cannot beat.. only survive.
Make sure its got adequate clean water storage capability... that's more important than food... it'll keep you alive.
The next is water tightness.. nothing induces depression quicker than being cold and wet... outside it goes with the territory.. inside is another matter... wet bedding and clothes for days on end is a soul killer and they never really dry till they're soaked well in fresh water... so make sure any/all deck/portlight/hatches are leak-proofed.
Next is your buying technique... Personally I scan both sides of the Atlantic for possibles... save the pages to my comp.. then when the time comes.. calculate travel costs + asking price + boat budget to survive initially.. compare it to what I have then delete accordingly... weigh up remaining boats comparing equipment and storage capability.... delete some more.. then jump on a plane with a coupla bags.. fly to where the boat is, buy it and start traveling.
Now I'm a LOW BUDGET sailor.. my current boat cost me $3000, the one before $2500.. both took me across the Biscay, one did it in December.. not the best time of year but an awesome sail.. This is important if you want to sail sooner rather than later.. larger choice, often cheaper than where you live... and if your not fussy about which Ocean you start on... perfect.
Currently my 21ft boats up for sale.. if I get my price I'll fly to the US and pick up something between $4-7K that's seaworthy and livable on.. basics OK with me.. don't need the AC/Fridge etc.. I'm a 61 going on 16 sorta guy... camping is fun.. really...
Boats on my list on the east coast US are CD25, Tartan 27, Pearson 27, Maxi 27, Grampian 30... all under 7k, 70% 5k or under..
If I don't get my price I'll fly to the UK, get another cheapie a metre longer than this one and sail back down here where boats are more expensive... till I get enough to get me over there.. really fancy another winter in the Carib's.. and another West/East passage..
Some here will say the above's a recipe for suicide.. if that's true I'm a bloody bad chef.. aint got it right yet... lol.. but I've known bigger and better prepared boats founder through over confidence in sea's I've been passing through at the same time... the boat didn't let them down.. they let the boat down.
All round the World boats turn up abandoned.. no sign of crew... My motto is when the waters up to my knees and I'm standing on the 'button' (top of the mast), that's when I get off the boat.. boats are amazingly resilient if treated well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 09:29   #20

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
A Westsail 28 if you can find one available.

Others off the top of my head:
Flicka 20
Dana 24
Cape Dory 28
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 10:09   #21

There is a Flicka 20 for sale on my dock in Southern California for 15k...they seem solid... I'd be all over it in a heartbeat if I had not just found a great pocket cruiser myself!
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 11:24   #22

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I dont know the older Ericsons but the Bruce King designed 27 and 29 are fairly decent boats,i dont think they have bridge decks and like all coastal cruisers would need the cockpit drains enlarged which may or may not be easily achievable depending on the location of the sole above the waterline,there are much better boats out there than the Cat 27 even though one has circumnavigated.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 12:11   #23

On the Cape Dory, be sure you look at the 25D, as in diesel. It's a totally different boat than the 25.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 14:20   #24

Boat: Offshore 8 metre
May people speak highly of the Albin Vega. As well as a specific model, I think you should focus on age and condition. You could end up with a boat with a good reputation which has not had sufficient TLC over the years.

You ar unlikely to end up with a boat like my own - a Van De Stadt Offshore 8 metre. I haven't crossed any oceans in her but all I have asked her to do so far she has done comfortably and safely. When the kids get older, I intend going further. You can read about our adventures so far in our blog link in my signature.
Someone said to me when buying

"Go for a boat which has been someone's pride and joy for years - they will have invested so much in their boat which will not be reflected in the asking price" - good advice.

Tony
Old 24-03-2010, 19:22   #25

Boat: a sailing boat
Flicka - too small (if she is 20 as the name suggests),
Albin - too voluminous cockpit, too low coamings (easy to get pooped),

Ericsons - I know a guy circumnavigated in a 9 meter one. But 9m is about 30'. Still, if the make a circumnavegable 30' they might have something just as good yet smaller.

Do check out the Vancouver and the Westsail.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 05:18   #26

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
I am looking to buy a seaworthy, bluewater pocket cruiser (25-27 feet). No longer than 28...

- Jay
If you haven’t already, you might find it useful to grab a copy of Vigor’s; Twenty Small Boats… As voiced elsewhere, this is only one guy’s opinion, but he is one of the very few in print who countenances reality-sized boats for serious blue-water journeys. He does make specific recommendations; however, the meat of the book are his explanations as to why one craft or another. Also, his Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat is worth an afternoon of scanning, as you adjust and prepare whatever you acquire for longer-rang sailing… Some of his ideas are pretty good, although sailors being sailors, few will take another’s word for it lock-stock-n-barrel…

On my short list would be a Flicka (should a non-existent rich uncle will me a small fortune) or a Contessa 26 (which apparently has a few maintenance issues, but is…) renowned for its seakeeping ability… Nonetheless, I have what I have and despite some upkeep issues of its own, I love its sailing qualities and comfort (for this size), and have no ambition to change only to impove what I have… So almost any sensible vessel can make you content, with a modicum of effort and an open mind…

Good luck !!
Old 25-03-2010, 07:38   #27

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Flicka - too small (if she is 20 as the name suggests),
Too small for what? Several have circumnavigated. Do you know anything about the Flicka 20? 6000lb, 6' headroom inside, full keel, inboard diesel, ruggedly built...

Take a peek:
Home of the Flicka 20 Sailboat
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 07:49   #28

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Take a look at the J28. I had one for ten years and loved sailing her. Very seaworthy and well built.

The book Kawabunga is an excellent treatise on small boat voyaging.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious: "it is not the ships but the sailors who man them."
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 08:54   #29

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Contessa 26

Good luck finding a Contessa in the US!

How about a good old fashioned Triton?
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 09:42   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

1978 contessa contessa 26 sailboat for sale in Alabama under 10k

The other 5 Contessa's are over $13k

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket cruiser, seaworthy, blue water sailing