Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 15:32   #106
RPZ

Re: Seaworthy Pocket Cruiser - Advice ?

There is an Island Packet 26 on eBay right now. It's located in Rhode Island.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 17:19   #107

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Wow, what is old is new again! I had to go all the way back to see what the OP's question was, and I am guessing he's found his boat by now and is sipping Mai Tais in the shade of a coconut tree somewhere. But if anyone is looking here with the same question, I believe the Columbia 26 MK1 (not MK2) is a good capable choice also but I also think my first choice would be a Vancouver 27 if it had to be under 28'
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:01   #108

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

OP bought a Cal2-27.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:43   #109

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Maybe the thread should morph into what makes a seaworthy pocket cruising sailor?

I'd start with short of stature and move onto "loves to fix stuff."

This is an aside but after a season in the caribbean as a charter and training skipper I report very few pocket cruisers. I also report way too many 50 foot luxury cats and monos with air conditioning. Maybe I'm just an old snob.

Little boats rock!

Norm on Averisera
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:24   #110

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Define “short of stature”. I’m 6’2”, is that short enough for my Cal20?
I don’t love to fix stuff but it’s not odious either.
It’s the boat I have so it’s the one I’m sailing on.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:34   #111

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

I think small boats are a lot of fun to sail.

One must be able to fit into the vessel. I am being some what tongue in cheek about height. Our boat has 4.5 ft headroom so I have a sense of available space on my mind all the time.

As for fixing things. Well, the more one cruises the more one must do. We observe that we simplify more often after a repair/renovation. That leads to more sailing time and less repair time. Still, on a small boat one has a small space for tools so repairs must be carried out with more innovation.

I skippered some 40-50 foot yachts this winter. Lots of room for tools, generators, shop vacuums, surplus tools and gear. The antithesis of a pocket cruiser. Also, harder to cruise.

Winter before, we renovated a Yankee 30 and that was a lot of fun. There is a soon-to-be-given-away Cal 30 original model. Maybe that would be fun to restore. They were pretty good boats. Might be worth the effort. I haven't made a decision yet.

If anyone thinks they want to make a play for it, personal message me. The boat is on Cape Cod
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 19:01   #112

My choice in this size is in between a Contessa 26, Haida 24 and a Vancouver 25 or 27 but there are a whole slew of boats out there that have done impressive trips without much trouble. At least two Catalina 27s have circumnavigated the world and go regularly back and fourth to Hawaii from SOCAL which would not be considered an ocean going vessel and there are plenty of Coronado 25's sailing around the south pacific so boats that can be seen as marginal have done a lot. Catalina 27's have an incredible support network through companies such as Catalina Direct that allows you to find any part you desire. Modifications for deep blue trips are well known and east to set up in the boat. I know there are a lot of Flicka and Norsea 27 fans out there but they are expensive and dog slow making them an expensive compromise. There are plenty of custom boats out there that can fit your bill like look for a Carol 24 or Francis 26 boats of Chuck Panes designs that is safe fast and small so look around and see what's out there
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 04:34   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
I am looking to buy a seaworthy, bluewater pocket cruiser (25-27 feet). No longer than 28. I might be doing lots of single-handling and I hope to sail around the world eventually on this boat. My comfort needs are low, but I want something safe.

As far as seaworthy goes, I recognize that no boat is perfectly safe and that almost any boat could cross the Pacific or Atlantic with enough luck. I just want to find a boat on the safer end of the spectrum.

Some boats on the market in my area (LA to Santa Barbara) are a '69 Ericson 26 (Crealock design), '79 Ericson 25, Coronado 25, '71 Columbia 26 MK II, Cape Dory 25, Islander Excalibur 26...

Your thoughts on these boats as well as other boats that I should keep my eyes open for?

- Jay
I happen to have a Cape Dory 28 for sale, do a little research on them and see if they sound like what you're interested in.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 04:42   #114

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

How do people manage long crossing with small quantity of water storage? Space is limited for water maker.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 05:12   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Seaworthy Pocket Cruiser - Advice ?

A modular Watermaker doesn’t have to take up much space at all, you can install the modules in out of the way places, but that can make servicing interesting. For instance I removed my pump to change its oil, it’s just 4 bolts and three lines, but where I have it tucked in, you can’t get to the oil fill.

However relying on a Watermaker is foolish, unless you have sufficient spares and a redundant power supply.
Back in the day, decades before I ever sat foot on a sailboat, I believe many relied heavily on rain catchment, and didn’t cross in the dry seasons.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 05:18   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Maybe the thread should morph into what makes a seaworthy pocket cruising sailor?

I'd start with short of stature and move onto "loves to fix stuff."

This is an aside but after a season in the caribbean as a charter and training skipper I report very few pocket cruisers. I also report way too many 50 foot luxury cats and monos with air conditioning. Maybe I'm just an old snob.

Little boats rock!

Norm on Averisera

I think maybe it’s location? We are in Eleuthera right now and have seen many smallish boats, even one or two 26’ boats, but a lot of 30 to 35.
Anchored beside of me is a 33’ Hunter. I have seen only one big high buck Cat, and it was a crewed Charter, named “Private Island”. I think it was a crewed Charter, sure looked like it anyway.
I expect to see the high buck boats when we get to the Exuma’s and especially the closer we get to “season”.
Old 20-01-2019, 05:31   #117

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
How do people manage long crossing with small quantity of water storage? Space is limited for water maker.
Rain water catchment systems...…...depending on the route

The boat Robin Lee Graham sailed 3/4th the way around the world was 24' (or just short of that)

There's a guy on a Bristol 27 that has crossed oceans and he does the same
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raincollector1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	184162   Click image for larger version

Name:	raincollector2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	184163  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 05:36   #118

Boat: Bristol 27

Seaworthy Pocket Cruiser List

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

and there are a few on this list with some on both.

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 05:38   #119
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seaworthy Pocket Cruiser - Advice ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
Its strict control of usage.. I did 47days nonstop, over 4000nm with tankage of 180litres and 8 5litre bottles of water.. still had about 30litres left when I got to the UK.
Wash crockery in salt water, only half fill solar shower bag.. for rinsing after salt wash down.. its all down to self control.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 05:41   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seaworthy Pocket Cruiser - Advice ?

Rain water collection systems are often very easy to implement, often it’s just a wet towel around the water fill so that water off of the deck flows into the water fill.
I believe anyone considering a long passage that doesn’t have a rain catchment plan whether or not they have a Watermaker is foolish.
Mine is our in boom furler, the boom is a big gutter, I tapped the drain and installed a standard plastic male water hose fitting, the amount of water that comes off of the main sail and flows into the gutter shaped boom is surprising in a rain storm, of course it means the main has to be up.
But it’s a back up plan is all, never actually been used.

Tags
pocket cruiser, seaworthy, blue water sailing