Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 18:38   #1

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter
Searching for Aries 32 Technical Drawings and Other Owners

Hi all,

I'm looking for some technical drawings of my little Aries 32. I've managed to find a terrible interior layout drawing, but I was hoping for some side-on drawings.

I'm also avidly searching for other Aries 32 owners, or past-owners.

Cheers! Nick
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:58   #2

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi
Nick-

Chuck here in San Francisco. I'm starting the daunting challenge of doing my own drawings of the 32 I just purchased in the southern california area. The boat is in the shop for another 5 weeks. I'm happy to exchange emails and photographs with you. Mine is Hull #23, made in Sausalito, California in 1979. Currently the westerbeke is out for re-build, all new thru-hulls were installed this weel, and we're awlgripping the hull and deck after re-doing the rudder. reach me directly: chuckbullett at g mail dot com.
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 14:52   #3

Boat: Aries '32 -Thomas Gilmer Design
Nick and Chuck, hi. I also have an Aries 32' hull #9 (1974). Purchased her in early 2006 and have been sailing her in SF Bay Area. Some sailing vids are here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/klondikejoe

Got pix of her here: Picasa Web Albums - Anton - Horizon#

I'm at mt_diablo at yahoo dot com

-Anton
Horizon1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:27   #4

I purchased TNT last spring and moved her from pt richmond to berkeley. I've got a custom 6'8" dingy and davits for sale if is anyones interested. the hull number engraved on her stb qtr is SAUS000123180 which Im assuming is sausalito dec 1980 ??
Aries 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 32 View Post
I purchased TNT last spring and moved her from pt richmond to berkeley. I've got a custom 6'8" dingy and davits for sale if is anyones interested. the hull number engraved on her stb qtr is SAUS000123180 which Im assuming is sausalito dec 1980 ??
Hello Captain-

I would like to come by an introduce myself soon. We're about 3-4 weeks away from bringing The Chester P to Berkeley Marine Center for re-commissioning and splashing. You're welcome to reach me via email- chuckbullett at gmail dot com. Your question about the hull number- mine, for instance, is SAU000230879, which in infer to mean hull no. 23 built in August of 1979. If that is the case, then one could also infer that TNT's hull number would indicate the she was hull no. 123, with her build date being January of 1980? So, I guess I'm confused a bit about this. BTW- I'm an applicant at BYC, and will be around there this weekend, and would enjoy bumping into you.
In-progress pictures of Chester's refit are here: Flickr: chuckbullett's Photostream.
She's on the hard in Santa Ana right now, and should be ready for delivery next month. Hull #23 was a lien sale boat that was in really rough shape six months ago. I've made a bit of progress on the restoration. Chester P will likely live at Emery Cove Marina since I live in the Watergate development here in Emeryville. I've also been in pretty regular contact with Anton K who owns Horizon over at Sausalito yacht harbor. He's very diligent about her maintenance, and I enjoyed our chats about our shared challenges.

I'd like to take a look at your davits. Our dingy is a wooden and bit on the heavy side (and another project, by the way). If you check out the flickr site you'll see her.

Cheers!

-Chuck Bullett
Old 12-12-2010, 23:04   #6

Boat: Aries 32
Holy shiny boat, Batman!

I bought Rhapsody, SAU000320682 in October, and turned the engine off with the sails up for the first time yesterday. (3.8KT boatspeed in 5-7KT (??) wind on a stubby-rigged heavy full-keel boat with an idiot driving! Impressive!) After sitting for 5 years before we got her she's got a very long way to go before she'll be considered pretty, but she's well on her way to becoming safe and livable.

I think I have an inferiority complex after seeing pictures of Chester, but I'd try to hide it if anyone wanted to come by Marina Bay in Richmond to have a look at our "new" toy.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 08:31   #7

Don't judge a book by it's cover-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
Holy shiny boat, Batman!

I think I have an inferiority complex after seeing pictures of Chester, but I'd try to hide it if anyone wanted to come by Marina Bay in Richmond to have a look at our "new" toy.

Dusty- Thanks for the note and vote of confidence. I've seen Rhapsody and she's always instilled boat lust in me. I suggest that we try to do a meet-up with Horizon and TNT sometime in the coming season. Four Aries 32's in a raft-up will make for a great photo up. John Arndt will be on that like flies on flypaper

I also venture into Brickyard Cove, and Marina Bay often, and have sailed out of there for a few years with Tradewind's Sailing Club. I'll keep an eye out for Rhapsody with renewed interest now.

The Chester P (named for my mom's father who left for sea at the age of 13) also sat for years in Newport Beach Marina, was home to numerous homeless derelicts, and required six 3/4 ton pick-up truck trips to the landfill to clean her out. The below decks are rough. I'll be working the scraper and the varnish brush for years, most likely. We started the project in earnest the 3rd week of September, so now I'd say we're into the home-stretch. We've targeted late January to load her up for the trip to the bay area. I'll step the mast at Berkely Marine Center and splash her there.

I certainly hope that yourself, Anton, and TNT's new owners will be able to join us for a "Re-Splashing" party sometime in the coming months to help celebrate the newest addition to the fleet here in the Bay Area.

Thanks again, and feel free to contact me directly. After all of the ripping and tearing I've done, let's just say I've gotten really up close and personal with every system on this great boat.
Old 23-12-2010, 01:57   #8

Boat: Aries 32,from 1974, 32 ft - The Black Sheep
Send a message via Skype™ to theblacksheep
We bought "s/y The Black Sheep" in 2007, an Aries 32 built in Taiwan 1974. This boat has crossed The Atlantic ocean, and been around many parts of the world before We bought it. It is now in Mid-Norway, and is in good shape. We are planning to cross over to The Caribien and USA in a few years. More about this boat, and about Aries 32 / Roughwater 33: The Black Sheep - start - The Black Sheep s/y The Black Sheep | By Odd A Ertvaag | Category: Portfolios | Blurb Retur til Aure | The Black Sheep
theblacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 13:03   #9

Chuck and all, why don't we plan a sail in for your "splash party" at BMC I'm sure I can arrange accomidations for the night with with Berkeley Yacht Club. If you're interesteted give me a call. We can invite John Arndt to cover the event. Maybe a little Aries class sail, BBQ and an overnight.

Let me know if your interested.

John Mann (TNT)
City of Berkeley
Waterfront Manager
510-981-6737
510-542-3171
Aries 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07   #10

Splash party for "The Chester P" Update

John's offer sounds like a great time for anyone who can make it. Anton tells me he's leaving at the end of January for an off-shore cruise in the south pacific.. I'm fairly sure that it will be mid February before I'm ready to re-launch The Chester P in The Bay, so we'll have decent weather by the time we're close to hoisting a toast to the newest member of the SF Bay Aries fleet.

The Westerbeke still needs to be re-installed and the shaft trued, in addition to packing all of the parts up for "shipping". If the guys are back this coming week, that is a 2 to 3 day process.

I'm still looking for a reasonable ride from Santa Ana to Berkeley (meaning sail boat hauler capable of a 11-Ton load, 32 feet, and 10 foot on the beam) for this project. If anyone has a recommendation, please PM me or give me a call.

Otherwise, the bowsprit is in, the boomkin has been re-installed, and progress is being made.

Cheers!

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 32 View Post
Chuck and all, why don't we plan a sail in for your "splash party" at BMC I'm sure I can arrange accomidations for the night with with Berkeley Yacht Club. If you're interesteted give me a call. We can invite John Arndt to cover the event. Maybe a little Aries class sail, BBQ and an overnight.

Let me know if your interested.

John Mann (TNT)
City of Berkeley
Waterfront Manager
510-981-6737
510-542-3171
Old 07-04-2011, 19:50   #11

Boat: Aries '32 -Thomas Gilmer Design
Horizon is cleaned up after the heavy rains this winter and ready to party this spring. Let me know when/where the party is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2200131318.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	25944  
Horizon1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 21:26   #12

Re: Searching for Aries 32 Technical Drawings & Other Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon1972 View Post
Horizon is cleaned up after the heavy rains this winter and ready to party this spring. Let me know when/where the party is!

... and Horizon is looking mighty fine too, Anton. I'll let you know as we get close to a splash date- we'll still do a sail-in as it gets warmer, and put you on the guest dock at the Berekley yacht Club for the party at the very least (I'm a member- you should visit sometime).
Update: We're gonna step the spar and the end of this coming week or beginning of next (after the boat show) provided the items we're replacing have shown up. I've decided to replace the backstay with another that has HF Insulators, plus the main and jib halyards with all rope. With my friend Cap't Chris we figured out how the shrouds need to be arranged last night (in big wind, I might add), and inspected the rest of the standing rigging. Then we pinned all of the standing rigging that we had on hand with what I had for clevis pins. This coming weekend I'll be re-wiring the spar.

BTW; Chris is on the rigging team at West Marine in Alameda, and additionally works for us as our senior sailing instructor at Sailtime. We spend so much damn time together we're nearly brothers. He's been a great resource. While it is said we all learn from our mistakes, I'd rather not learn from any mistakes made on the standing rigging...
thanks anyways!

TNT's John (Aries 32) stopped in at the 'yard to saw "hi" last Sunday when I wrapping up for the day and contributed some helpful advice too.

A friend on Flickr today suggested that maybe we should bring the Colin Archer Memorial Regatta back to San Francisco Bay... a regatta weekend of double enders puffing out their spinakers and drifters to "make the mark". Perhaps if we were to rename it the "Colin Archer/Thomas Gilmore (fill in name of dead designer here)" memorial SF Bay Classic!

I'll email you reprints from Latitude 38 from many years ago about the regatta, since they're slightly too large to share with the group here.

Cheers!

Chuck
RV (Research Vessel) The Chester P
ask me about the RV designation!
Old 13-08-2011, 20:20   #13

Boat: Aries 32
Re: Searching for Aries 32 Technical Drawings & Other Owners

Hey all
Chris here up on Vancouver island
I have cadence, hull Number 16
Anyothers up my way??
Cadence952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:11   #14

Re: Searching for Aries 32 Technical Drawings and Other Owners

All-

Anton from SV Horizon is suggesting a mini regatta in San Francisco in September.Anyone interested in joining us? The Chester P is afloat. We're wating to hear from Anton when he'll be back in the Bay Area. John: Can you and TNT join us?
Old 21-08-2011, 10:37   #15

Re: Searching for Aries 32 Technical Drawings and Other Owners

Nick-

Iver Franzen has located Thomas Gillmer's drawings in storage, and is considering re-prints for select people. His email: Iver.Franzen@comcast.net. He's living in Annapolis, Maryland (US), and is responsible for many of the re-fits and restorations of truly historic vessel's here in the US such as the USS Constitution. He was Gillmer's design partner for many, many years.

Hope this is of help to you.

Thanks and Fair Winds to you.

Chuck Bullett
SV The Chester P

Tags
arc, aries