Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2009, 11:24   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000
Seafarer 45 Yawl - Seaworthy?

I am looking at this boat next week. I am in the market for a yacht that can sail comfortably in SF Bay with a 6 month cruise to the Sea of Cortez in two and a half years with the option open to cross the Pacific, and can be singlehanded. I will be cruising with my wife and children who will be almost five and 2 at the time we leave. I am trying to keep the cost of the yacht including upgrades to under 100K (75K would be even better). I have been looking for over two years and have run through all kinds of designs. In terms of what I can afford it looks like older CCA designs (yes I have read the threads about long overhangs and [is it JeffH?] opinions on the matter) as they are what I can afford, if I am to go soon and stay away for some time, I am going to have to accept specific compromises (less interior space, slower, initial heel...).

J. Voigors book is critical of long overhangs for a seaworthy boat as he fears in quartering sees the stern section is succeptable to wave action possibly turning the boat. This boat has very long overhangs (about a third of the boat) and I certainly don't want to put my family's safety in jeoperdy. R. Marshall comes up with an overhang formula and reccomends no more than 20% overhang length. Another yacht I am considering (unfortunately none available locally) is the Alberg 37 with nearly 29% overhangs and many people cruising her seemingly safely. I have contacted S&S to get more information on the design and an owner on this forum as well. My thoughts on the matter are appreciating that concern, but with the boat healed I don't see that much risk for the stern to act as a lever as she will then have her water line extended and less stern left exposed. Also she has 25,000 lbs of displacement with nice keel so she isn't exactly a lightweight and one to be pushed around easily.

I was curious as to what folks thought about this issue. I am less interested in the debates about these boats in general, as personally there are lots of people cruising these designs successfully who love their boats, I am more concerned with amount of overhang on this particular model. On this boat LOA 45.08 LWL 30.42. I have plotted her numbers on various graphs and she seems as if she will be a dry boat, with OK speed, good pointing ability and a smooth ride, if not a bit narrow and heavy by todays standards.

Thanks in advance
OneEyedJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 19:16   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
IMO the only reason to buy that boat is to look at it, and to appreciate a sense of CCA era history. To me, that's just about reason enough, personally.

That said, I've never read that they're unseaworthy. Maybe not quite seakindly, as your family might like. If you are only drawn to this boat by way of money, I think you might do better to consider something shorter, fatter and designed by Bob Perry.

Best to you.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 19:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
IMO the only reason to buy that boat is to look at it, and to appreciate a sense of CCA era history. To me, that's just about reason enough, personally.

That said, I've never read that they're unseaworthy. Maybe not quite seakindly, as your family might like. If you are only drawn to this boat by way of money, I think you might do better to consider something shorter, fatter and designed by Bob Perry.

Best to you.
I do think she is a gorgeous yacht. I have looked at the Perry designs and enjoy them as well. I like the Baba's and Tashibas, Tayana's and of course Valiant also the 34 Hans Christian on up to the 52 CT. I like them and they are still on my radar. This 45 has a separate aft cabin with two single settees that would be nice for the kids, typically on the smaller Perry's all you have is a quarter berth and the Valiant's tend to be a bit pricy.

When I began looking at boats it was all function, funny how the more I learn about yacht design the more I seem to drawn to the aesthetic. Doesn't make sense to me but sometimes these pretty yachts speak to something deeper inside.
Old 15-06-2009, 00:25   #4

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I know where you're coming from, I couldn't resist overhangs either. But, to be sure, they're there to beat an archaic racing rule, not to give seakindliness. Like I wrote, I doubt it's a dangerous boat, but it might not be the most comfortable.

Another to consider might be the old Tartan 41/42's. Moderate overhangs (just enough to be pretty), only one quarter but a nice size pilot that can be curtained off... Usually found under $100K.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 16:41   #5

I think there are some benefits to overhangs. While not pretending to have deep knowledge in this area, reserve bouyancy and for a heavier boat to extend the length a bit for putting up more sailarea. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against LWL, I wish this boat had more but overhangs are more than just a pretty face.
Old 16-06-2009, 17:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Oh Joy is 35' on deck with a 26' waterline. She sails very well in heavy weather, including quartering following seas. The yawl rig is very flexible in all conditions.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 12:10   #7

I have been able to get some more information on the yacht. She was designed for the Bermuda race and as such should be a good blue water boat. I will go see her in person next week.
Old 17-06-2009, 12:17   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Any boat you buy, you need to be able to look back at her sitting at anchor and think " what a beautiful boat" otherwise you will always regret it.
The CCA boats were not "unseaworthy" and IMHO if you buy the boat your heart says then you will happily
live with any compromises you choose to make, and will learn to sail her within her capabilities.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 12:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn Mor View Post
Any boat you buy, you need to be able to look back at her sitting at anchor and think " what a beautiful boat" otherwise you will always regret it.
The CCA boats were not "unseaworthy" and IMHO if you buy the boat your heart says then you will happily
live with any compromises you choose to make, and will learn to sail her within her capabilities.
Sound advice. I just want to make sure I understand the boat and have some expectation of how she will behave. I think I am getting there. I would love to own this boat, but you know, right boat for the right price and all. Also 45 year old fiberglass I wonder when we will find out what is the life expectancy of this material?
Old 19-08-2010, 21:38   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M
Hi Jack,

Just curious whether you liked the boat when you saw it. Did you buy it? What year model was it?
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 06:22   #11

I am a sucker for these old CCA designs. I eventaully bought a catamaran but have kept my eye on this one. I made an offer over a year ago but the seller wasn't ready to meet me at that time. I am thinking on a cruise and my plans might change from costal cruising to an ocean crossing. If they do and if this boat is still available I will give it another look. It needs some money put into it to get it ready for a voyage but it has several qualities that I like (and some that I don't).

Why do you ask?
Old 20-08-2010, 06:22   #12

Oh as for the year, it's old mid sixties if I remember.

Tags
seaworthy