Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14   #1

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31
Scuba Gear for Basic Boat Maintenance

Got caught up on a crab pot yesterday, guess I did it while sailing because my engine failed to start as soon as I was turning into the wind. Any suggestions on scuba gear that I can get to battle this in the future rather than call a diver

I am advanced diver certified, however no room on my boat for full gear and big tanks. I was thinking just a pony bottle with some sort of harness (not necessarily a BCD), a cheap regulator, and a mask. Not diving to extreme depths, just enough to get to prop in future or perhaps future bottom cleanings.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17   #2

re: Scuba Gear for Basic Boat Maintenance

I carried a single 80 tank, a compact but decent BC, and some basic but reliable Cressi regulator+gauge+spare. The tank took up a lot of space. I didn't use it a lot but the times I did I was glad I had it. If you spend time in tropical areas you'll need to clean at least monthly. Changing zincs without air is a real pain in the butt.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:44   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Not sure if it would take up less space but what about a hookah rig. I know there's been discussions about them before but if you have a generator a small air compressor won't take up a ton of room......just a thought.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Another option is just to use a tank and a regulator with a Kayak diving hose. U don't need a BCD maybe just weights to get you near neutral.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe since you will only be going to a depth of less than 10 ft. I bet you could find a 12V compressor that would suffice. My SAC rate is .67, so working and at a depth of 10', 1 cu ft of air per min is all you would need, probably less actually, but you would want it at say 90 PSI min. You wouldn't even need a first stage, just a hose and a second stage.
Worst case, just pop up, it's only 10' and you won't have any Deco obligation or anything.

Or an aluminum 40 would work, they are pretty available as we use them for Deco gases, average price for one in Hydro with valve is $100, of course aluminum 80's are the same price but heavier and bigger. An aluminum 40 at that depth would give you at least 30 min., unless your an air hog
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:19   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quick Google came up with this, I believe you could roll your own and don't need this big a compressor etc.
Hookamax Dive Systems
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Quick Google came up with this, I believe you could roll your own and don't need this big a compressor etc.
Hookamax Dive Systems
Interesting system. I like how it comes with a random gratuitous cleavage shot to help "display" the product.

On a serious note though I was not aware they made 12v compressors. Nice find.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45   #8

For basic clearing a line off a prop a pony tank would be fine, might want to setup a small weight belt with a shorty wetsuit when the water is cold in the early spring. When you expand to bottom cleaning zinc's then a 40 would be in order.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:51   #9

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Interesting system. I like how it comes with a random gratuitous cleavage shot to help "display" the product.

On a serious note though I was not aware they made 12v compressors. Nice find.
Ok, I admit it (who else will) I went to the website because you mentioned cleavage....
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 13:07   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you don't want to carry a standard tank then I would also go with a small tank like the aluminum 40. Would also recommend a diaphragm regulator instead of a piston as diaphragm will be more reliable long term use in salt water and storage with minimum maintenance.

Get a BC if you like but diving to 10' you really won't need it, a simple harness will do the job. If you're diving cold water and wear a suit then you will need weights but just use enough to get neutral and you can bypass the BC even wearing a suit.

Using a long hose with a tank on deck or in the dink is another option but I prefer the freedom and mobility of a tank on my back.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:57   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

Maybe that is why they call it a hooka....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 15:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hookamax Dive Systems
I use a small Hookah Max system. I'm a certified open water diver and had a tank on board. I ditched the heavy tank. I plug the 120 volt Hookamax unit into my Honda 2000 generator for quick bottom and prop cleaning. Works for me a bit noisy on deck but, not underwater. Plus don't have to worry about refilling the tank.
Old 02-06-2014, 19:04   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Scuba Gear for Basic Boat Maintenance

Quote:
On a serious note though I was not aware they made 12v compressors.
They don't. Hookamax is nothing more than some guy puttinging together the exact same components you or I can buy at any Harbor Freight or other place that sells cheap, Chinese-made POS air compressors. And you can do it for much less than Hookamax will sell it to you for. My favorite Hookamax accessory is the "Floating Kit" where for a mere $350, you get a $40 pool toy and a $15 battery box.

Hookamax Dive Systems
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 19:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
They don't. Hookamax is nothing more than some guy puttinging together the exact same components you or I can buy at any Harbor Freight or other place that sells cheap, Chinese-made POS air compressors. And you can do it for much less than Hookamax will sell it to you for. My favorite Hookamax accessory is the "Floating Kit" where for a mere $350, you get a $40 pool toy and a $15 battery box.

Hookamax Dive Systems
Ahhh see I was distracted by the clevage, it'll get you every time!

I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread. I did notice the "floating kit" which seemed awkward to say the least but I didnt know it cost so much which brings it from awkward to ridiculous.

Any list of quality components or specs you would recommend for those of us interested in building one?
Old 02-06-2014, 19:49   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No, really, who needs more than a bailout bottle or a "Spare Air" with built-in regulator to clear a crab pot within six feet of the surface? Assuming you've got a sharp knife.

I think "as small as you can" probably fills this bill.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, gear, maintenance, scuba