Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 19:35   #16

Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannafish View Post
I, too, am interested in your question. I have a 34' with a 6,000 lb lead keel. Boat needs some work, though is structurally sound, and is on a trailer. Has beautiful sitka spruce masts and booms and a dozen sails. Oh, and NEW Stainelss standing rigging and cast bronze chainplates. I'm tired of 2 years of "tire kickers" saying "it needs work" and they'd "take it if I'd give it to 'em". Well of course it does - that's why I was only asking $4k to get her outta my life. I'm gonna part her out - from the brass sinks, bronze faucets, hammered copper galley counter tops, all new oak interior, new CNG heater mounted on the bulkhead, force ten gimballed stove, the trailer,and lastly, the keel. I'm going to keep the bronze helm with wood wheel to mount in my office.
Any how, I hope to see comments to your thread on how to go about this. I have the area and tools to dismantle it...but will go slowly with my deteriorating health.
Blokes over there obviously can't add up; there's more value in the lead keel alone than what you're asking. On top of that, there's all that other neat gear.

I wish you lived around the corner from me - I'd take it off your hands no worries.

And it's not only me. There's a bloke in our yard building a Hartley Fijian and all he needs now is the lead. He's sitting on the ground sobbing right now.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:40   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
BOATMAN....... book a plane ticket...... go save her!!!!!!!
I second that! I'll hire you while you're here, so the trip won't be all expense.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:43   #18

Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay

Bottom paint? Nope- she's stripped. Easy to see there are no blisters that way!
Yes- she will float with the installation of the raw water intake (or a bung). PO said engine ran fine before it was pickled. The only thing I have found this boat needs to go sailing is the spreaders. All else is there. Hate to take those bronz winches to the scrap yard...
Old 27-02-2011, 05:44   #19

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I watched a couple of guys do this in a DIY boatyard last year. They had a saw that looked like a chainsaw with about a 16" grinder wheel on the end. (I think this is the concrete saw you can rent at Home Depot.)

They also had a large construction waste dumpster. In a about a day and a half, they whacked up about a 40' boat and had it all in the dumpster.

I don't remember what they did with the keel, but a boatyard can easily pick that up and put it in on a truck to haul to the recycler.

I bet if you took all the good equipment off and sold it on Ebay or Craigslist, you'd end up with a couple of months' hobby that made a bit of money.

It was a little sad to watch, but in a way both liberating and motivating . Immediately afterwards, I got my old project boat finished up, in the water, and out of there.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 18:09   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Say, have you (the owner of the iron keel) checked on the going price of scrap iron? Not sure that it brings enough to make this exercise worthwhile. Lead, however, does command a good scrap price most places.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-02-2011, 11:22   #21

Boat: Grampian 26 - Escape Hatch

I checked and I'll get about $350 and because the landfill and recycling place are close I think it's worth it. At least it will pay the cost of leaving the rest of the boat at the landfill.
ray12515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12   #22

Re: Scrapping Boat . . . Recycling Keel

If I can't find a buyer in the next 2-3 months I'm going to cut the keel off her, (I have a front end loader to load it on my equipment trailer) and sell it for scrap. Prepared lead is fetching around $1.20/lb so I should be able to get half that "unprepared". Strip the good stuff to sell on Ebay; haul the hull (on the trailer) to the landfill - they quoted me $175 to $225 to lift it off my trailer, crush and dispose of...remember - no bottom paint; and either look for another boat ready to sail that'll fit on the trailer, or sell the trailer.

I have had suggestions such as "Park it out in your pond and make a bed and breakfast out of it". It sounded interesting until I mentioned it to my insurance agent.

Like a lot of people, I have way to much "stuff"...I can't sail away to paradise until it's all gone.

Bergovoy - it's warm in Michigan in the summer - you could be in Florida by fall!
Old 01-03-2011, 18:10   #23
KEG

Quote:
If I can't find a buyer in the next 2-3 months I'm going to cut the keel off her, (I have a front end loader to load it on my equipment trailer) and sell it for scrap. Prepared lead is fetching around $1.20/lb so I should be able to get half that "unprepared". Strip the good stuff to sell on Ebay; haul the hull (on the trailer) to the landfill - they quoted me $175 to $225 to lift it off my trailer, crush and dispose of...remember - no bottom paint; and either look for another boat ready to sail that'll fit on the trailer, or sell the trailer.

I have had suggestions such as "Park it out in your pond and make a bed and breakfast out of it". It sounded interesting until I mentioned it to my insurance agent.

Like a lot of people, I have way to much "stuff"...I can't sail away to paradise until it's all gone.

Bergovoy - it's warm in Michigan in the summer - you could be in Florida by fall!
So why don't you tell us about it. Wood hull or fiberglass? Design. Engine? Sails? I always enjoy reading ad's that contain threats of distruction or pulling it off the market if not sold, If you really want to sell it then describing it as a thorn in your side isn't going to help. JMHO

Matthew
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 18:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Wannafish;629311]She's a Seafarer - ketch rigged.with a 6,000 lb lead keel. Boat needs some work, though is structurally sound, and is on a trailer. Has beautiful sitka spruce masts and booms and a dozen sails. Oh, and NEW Stainelss standing rigging and cast bronze chainplates. I'm tired of 2 years of "tire kickers" saying "it needs work" and they'd "take it if I'd give it to 'em". Well of course it does - that's why I was only asking $4k to get her outta my life. I'm gonna part her out - from the brass sinks, bronze faucets, hammered copper galley counter tops, all new oak interior, new CNG heater mounted on the bulkhead, force ten gimballed stove, the trailer,and lastly, the keel. QUOTE]

Here you go Keg.... oh and shes GRP

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 18:43   #25
KEG

Boatman, I'm sorry, I missed that although now that I read it again I remember reading it a couple of days ago.

What year? Is the trailer in decent enough shape to hit the road for a thousand miles? Coast Guard documented? How long out of water? Leaks? Rot?

My point is that there are at least a thousand active members on this forum and I bet few of them are from his home town. I am looking for a boat as we speak and would entertain a project. On the other hand if I am going to spend a thousand bucks to go see a boat then I think the seller should offer a bit more than what you quoted. I am looking at one now that is further away than this one here and the seller has kindly sent me around a hundred pictures from every angle, inside and out, and has answered every question with courtesy. He will probably get my money in the end.

It's obvoius that the description didn't stand out as much as the boat isn't worth his time or effort but someone else should be glad to take on the task. He's right the keel is worth more than he's asking for the boat. That's reality. If he can't sail away until it's gone then it's fate should be simple, scrap it.

Matthew
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
Boatman, I'm sorry, I missed that although now that I read it again I remember reading it a couple of days ago.

What year? Is the trailer in decent enough shape to hit the road for a thousand miles? Coast Guard documented? How long out of water? Leaks? Rot?

My point is that there are at least a thousand active members on this forum and I bet few of them are from his home town. I am looking for a boat as we speak and would entertain a project. On the other hand if I am going to spend a thousand bucks to go see a boat then I think the seller should offer a bit more than what you quoted. I am looking at one now that is further away than this one here and the seller has kindly sent me around a hundred pictures from every angle, inside and out, and has answered every question with courtesy. He will probably get my money in the end.

It's obvoius that the description didn't stand out as much as the boat isn't worth his time or effort but someone else should be glad to take on the task. He's right the keel is worth more than he's asking for the boat. That's reality. If he can't sail away until it's gone then it's fate should be simple, scrap it.

Matthew
Gosh Matthew - I'm guessing, and yes it's just a guess on my part, that you actually ASKED the seller for information and pictures... This info would be available to anyone who asked (as several have via PM), but since I wasn't in the "Classifeds" section and merely making a comment to another poster's thread I didn't consider it appropriate to try and sell it there.

Sorry. Guess My wife is right...I'm wrong again.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25   #27

[QUOTE=boatman61;632179]
Quote:
She's a Seafarer - ketch rigged.with a 6,000 lb lead keel. Boat needs some work, though is structurally sound, and is on a trailer. Has beautiful sitka spruce masts and booms and a dozen sails. Oh, and NEW Stainelss standing rigging and cast bronze chainplates. I'm tired of 2 years of "tire kickers" saying "it needs work" and they'd "take it if I'd give it to 'em". Well of course it does - that's why I was only asking $4k to get her outta my life. I'm gonna part her out - from the brass sinks, bronze faucets, hammered copper galley counter tops, all new oak interior, new CNG heater mounted on the bulkhead, force ten gimballed stove, the trailer,and lastly, the keel. QUOTE]

Here you go Keg.... oh and shes GRP
Thanks Phil!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14   #28

Boat: km 30 junk rig steel hull , toutai

TO RAY12515 I was told it was almost impossable to dispose of a boat in a landfill (toxic) at least in Canada sell it or pass it on to someone good luck...Tom
toutaitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

[QUOTE=Wannafish;632407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Thanks Phil!
Wannafish.... no sweat my man... just a boat lover trying to keep a good boat alive and help two people... you and a possible buyer....
wish it could be me but current situation makes that difficult.. if not impossible...
But the main thing is...
difficulties for CF'ers is a joint thing on the net as much as at sea as far as I'm concerned... if one can help in some way one either offers or just try's...
Costs nothing... but when it works... nice feeling..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19   #30

Boat: Grampian 26 - Escape Hatch

i've talked to the landfill they'll take it. Depending on where I go it should cost anywhere from 100-200 bucks.
ray12515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recycling