Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 14:08   #31

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: School me more on Bristol 27s

I assume you've heard people say that in the short, medium, and often in the long term, it's cheaper to buy a well-maintained boat in good condition. It's a sad fact that the previous owner (which will someday be you) rarely gets back the money and effort he/she invested.

There's an active Bristol owners association (check bristolboatowners@yahoogroups.com). Spend some time on it, getting to see the often-repeated issues that owners deal with. (All boats have some kind of issues.) Are you drawn to the B-27 lines: relatively long keel, relatively narrow, not fast but easy sea-going (classic Carl Alberg design). There are a number of Alberg boats in that size range, some older and some newer than the Bristol's, including Albergs, Pearson, Cape Dory. I think, but I'm not sure, that Cape Dorys usually cost more because of the quality of original construction. All of them have owners groups online. Finally, surveys are cheap, considering.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 14:23   #32

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Although this comment has little to do with B27, it should be useful.

When shopping for boats, wait, wait, wait, and wait.

The right one will come along for the right price. It happened to me, it will happen to you.

Also, a survey is a waste of money IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

I bought my boat, knowing full well exactly what things were wrong with it, and expecting to pay to fix them.

The seller will surely be annoyed as you will spend at least 4 hours fiddling around with his boat, drilling holes through things, poking at things, turning things on and off, breaking things, flaking off paint, spraying a hose ruthlessly from every angle etc.

If it annoys them, stop, and don't buy the boat.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 14:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Although this comment has little to do with B27, it should be useful.

When shopping for boats, wait, wait, wait, and wait.

The right one will come along for the right price. It happened to me, it will happen to you.

Also, a survey is a waste of money IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

I bought my boat, knowing full well exactly what things were wrong with it, and expecting to pay to fix them.

The seller will surely be annoyed as you will spend at least 4 hours fiddling around with his boat, drilling holes through things, poking at things, turning things on and off, breaking things, flaking off paint, spraying a hose ruthlessly from every angle etc.

If it annoys them, stop, and don't buy the boat.
Alrighty, I really appreciate the assistance. I'm just really eager to "get going" so to speak and a voice of reason is always good.
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 19:23   #34

I know it's probably stupid of me, but I'm going to go ahead and bid on the B27. I'll build the interior to my tastes. I think for the price of a turn key boat, I can build this one up and "know" it's done well. Make sense to anyone else?
Old 25-02-2011, 19:57   #35

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

yep, Do it your way and it will be the right way for you, at least for now.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 21:02   #36

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Yes, the B27s are good boats, and I have come close to buying one several times. No one has said this, but ... no matter how cheaply you can purchase the boat, you should pay the money to have a marine surveyor go over the boat. There may be problems there which can wind up costing you more than the boat is worth. Get a survey done. The guy selling it could be an upstanding citizen who does not know his boat. He could be a crook. He could be a saint, but once you are out of sight of land there is no help but your boat. a survey can save your life, or can give you lots of confidence. cheap money.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 21:04   #37

Well, the boat is currently sitting at 1300, so any "repairs" are likely to be many (x) the price of the boat. I'll take your advice though.
Old 25-02-2011, 21:10   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: School me more on Bristol 27s

So what dya want for $1500... a fricking diamond... get yern arse in gear and do some work stop looking for a free ride.... man oh man...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 06:45   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So what dya want for $1500... a fricking diamond... get yern arse in gear and do some work stop looking for a free ride.... man oh man...
Sorry! No, I don't want a "diamond", but thanks. That was in response to the survey suggestion, which i still may do, but if i'm going to have her stripped out anyways, I'd rather look for issues and deal with them then.
Old 26-02-2011, 06:51   #40

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

I have a friend, also in Md who has a 27 for sail for $3000. He is selling it without the outboard motor which will be sold separately for $700. The boat is in good condition other than a little dock rash on the upper hull. I will post some pictures later. If interested send me a PM for more info.
Old 26-02-2011, 07:15   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: School me more on Bristol 27s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingdude View Post
Sorry! No, I don't want a "diamond", but thanks. That was in response to the survey suggestion, which i still may do, but if i'm going to have her stripped out anyways, I'd rather look for issues and deal with them then.
Thats the hang up of auctions... you can only survey after the buy... so if you go in prepared to lose the intial purchase price thats good... if its close enough to view take a look and explore decks, bilges etc with a small tapping hammer, an old table knife and 18" length of 1/2"x2"...
That should be enough to find 'dead spots' in the deck and hull, waterlogged wood/ply and any deformities in the hull...
Oh... forgot the long screwdriver for the keelbolt test...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 07:30   #42

As a beginner I would not worry to much about the rig. You can replace it as you learn. On a boat that small it is very simple. Have it inspected when and if you have a survey done. The comment about the outboard hobby horeing in rough water is right on the mark. Half of the arc the sturn will be out of the water. You will need a long shaft or extra long shaft outboard. However as you stated your a beginner so there again your not going to be out in the snot until you learn a bit more. Once you learn to deal with the waves it wont be as big of an issue. As for the boat if I found a good deal I would not shy away from a Bristol. They are built to much higher standards than many sailboats. There fittings and design are such that they are made for durability. If she has been neglected it should not take to much to bring her back. Cosmetics can be delt with over time. New cushions, interior wood, interior furnishings. As for single handing yes this would be a good boat. As for safety yes she should keep an able sailor safe. Take a look at a few videos on Youtube. There is one of a fellow from Gig Harbor Wa who sailes his up through the inside passage.

Part 1

There a lot of other good videos on you tube that you should be able to get some great ideas. As for having a dodger. If it doesn't have one get one as you go. They make sailing sooooo much better in any inclement weather. They will also keep you a lot dryer.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 07:59   #43

Boat: Tartan 30

Not disagreeing with any of the above excellent advice, but it should be noted that The Bristol Channel Cutter is an entirely different boat than the Bristol 27.
Old 26-02-2011, 08:12   #44
Scurvy Dog

Any boat that has had standing fresh water in the cabin is going to be a serious mess. It also looks like the owner may have done some hack jobs on the interior. You can bring a boat like that back, but don't pay much if anything for it. It would probably take 3 to 6 months of full time work to get it sailing again. The owner will be lucky if he doesn't have to pay to dispose of it.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 08:40   #45

First thing to do is to call the seller. He's put his phone number in the Ebay listing. Five minutes of conversation with him will likely tell you more than this board ever will. Ask him why he thinks the deck is solid.

It is great that there are now interior pictures - it doesn't look like it sank (the formica counter tops aren't delaminated and no bad staining in the hanging locker) or had a fire.

It would be really good to visit but I would not bother with a survey. I know that's sacrilidge to many but I don't think it makes sense on a boat less worth less than $5,000 with no engine and a solid hull. Because they can be sued, surveyors have to be very conservative. What can they say? It's an old boat. It would be best to replace...well...everything

Assume the worst - the deck has water in the core. Not a big deal in a 27ft boat to be used in coastal waters. It's probably been there for a decade. You can fix it (time consuming but not technically hard) or leave it if the deck isn't too bouncy.

But talk to the seller first.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote