Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2009, 23:13   #1

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Sceptre 36 as a Starter Boat

I am researching boats suitable as a first boat for my wife and I to gain additional sailing experience. We've done some chartering in the BVI and PNW during the past year. I'm researching a variety of relatively inexpensive boats that would stand up to being sailed in Prince William Sound. The boat would be based in Valdez AK. Recently I learned about Sceptre boats. A search of this forum provides limited information about the 41 and it's all positive. However there is nothing about the 36. After reading about lots of boats on this forum I've learned that generally if "ya own it ya love it". I've tried to find a Sceptre owners group but to no avail. Do any of you know about model specific problems concerning the Sceptre 36 that would be deal killers for you, or other problems other than the usual age related issues (blisters etc.) I should be aware of or asking specifically about as I educate myself about this boat? Thanks in advance for the information. I've learned more about sailing by reading and my limited participation in the forum than all the books I've been able to read. You're a great bunch.

John
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 15:33   #2

Boat: Dehler 39
There is one in Seattle area that has been for sale for a couple years by owner named Brandywine. You can find it on line. I believe they have cored hulls. Not many of them around as you have noticed.

sceptre 36' sailboat (seattle) $63000 - Boat Loco Boating Community

michael
bluzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 22:17   #3

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the link and the info on the hull. I didn't realize the hull was balsa cored. I guess that makes me a lot less interested in the boat. I wonder if the 41's are of the same construction.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:28   #4

Nothing wrong with a balsa core hull. Have it surveyed, if there is a problem it can be repaired. I've re-cored many boats and it is not a deal breaker.

A 36 footer is a fine boat to learn to sail on. Not so big that you can't manhandle it yet big enough that you will feel secure in pretty much any condition.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 15:54   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have a 41 and love it. The Sceptre group gets together in Puget Sound every year around Sept. The build of the boat is quite good. Here is a link to the Sceptre 41 website Sceptre 41 The prices on them have come down alot in the last year or so but you can expect to spend $125 to $250 for the boat. I don't think they qualify as beginner boats but the good thing about the 41 is that they are pilothouses and allow you to sail the boat from an inside steering station which would extend your sailing season in Alasksa. If you have any more specific questions I'd be glad to try and answer them.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 23:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Nothing wrong with a balsa core hull. Have it surveyed, if there is a problem it can be repaired. I've re-cored many boats and it is not a deal breaker.
I was concerned that because most newer boat hulls are solid fiberglass below the waterline that a cored hull may be less strong or subject to other types of problems. I appreciate your insight - thanks,

John
Old 02-12-2009, 23:26   #7

I have a 41 and love it. The Sceptre group gets together in Puget Sound every year around Sept. The build of the boat is quite good.

I 've not found a negative comment from anyone concerning the Sceptre boat. The concensus seems to be that they are nice sailing boats and very seakindly. Thanks for the Sceptre 41 link. I'd like to PM you on this a bit down the road. What information I've been able to find on the Scepter is very interesting.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Feel free to PM or email me. If I can't answer the question I can put you in touch with people who can.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote